1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra Full -Good for anything?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got the choice of selecting chokes on a new trap gun and was given the option of Extra Full and light full. Are either any better at any yardage than full or imp mod? At what point does more constriction make the pattern worse for trap loads? JW

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want and what your gun likes. I shoot an xtra full from the 16yd back to the fence. Why? because it performs better than my other chokes. Besides, I like to see smoke when the targets break.

Robert

3. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Hey buddy, I have two XF that I thought would be great for long bomb
    shooting. The full or LF is all you need.
    What brand and what gun?

Thx Bill

4. racer

racer TS Member

JW- you generally get diminishing returns on patterns after about 38 points constriction. Light full would be less than full(generally considered 35 or more). Doesn't matter what gun. Dan

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It does matter what gun......or rather what choke brand, since different choke manufacturers use different constrictions the term "Extra Full" is somewhat meaningless as to comparing one brand with another.

John C. Saubak

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I borrowed a card shooter gun from a friend and went to the local meat shoot. I put a ton of shot on the card but was beat by a kid shooting his grandpa's .410 side-by-side who hit the card with about 6 number 7 and a halfs.

7. DeAdLy.90T

DeAdLy.90T Member

I think there are alot of variables that play into what choke should be used. gun, type of load, shot size, barrel legnth, bore, all play a factor in what choke is best.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Shooting Turkeys at 50 yds!

9. pdq

pdq Member

Send the gun to Tom Wilkinson and he'll make you a set of choke tubes to whatever specifications you want. Typical is .020, .025, .030, .035.

Guns are tools for breaking targets and chokes are like screwdrivers -- for different jobs, you use a different size screwdriver -- hard to make 1 do everything the best.

Pete

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You know, the experts (think Wilkinson, Perazzi, 18.7, Beretta Optima, Kreighoff .736. Kolar .740 and .750) are all using .035 and under. What does that tell you?

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a mod choke in a B80 that smokes them from behind the fence but to answer your question, I only use an extra full for turkey hunting and it only performs well with no. 4 shot. 5's and 6's have holes all in the pattern. Bottom line is you have to test the tubes for your use. Jackie B.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Good for eagles, vultures or your buddies brittany that likes to flush birds up 200 feet in front of you.

Jb

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using a light full (30 thousands restriction) for 25 years and I've tried (have) the tighter chokes up to .040. The light full (.030) always patterns the best at 40 yards. Gun is a Ljutic Mono.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Use the extra full when the dust/smoke pieces are not small enough for ya. ;0)

15. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

good for Eagles???

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

It really all depends on what "extra full" means to that particular choke manufacturer. It is best to find out your barrel bore diameter and the choke diameter (inside) and subtract the two to get your constriction.

For example: My BT-100 is a .740" bore and my Carlson Full choke is .705" which equals .035" restriction.

I personally would not go any tighter than .035"

Bryan

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Isn't FULL defined as 70% at 40 yards? If so, is more than that ever desired for trap?

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Check this choke in YOUR gun to see if it works for you. I have three guns that use the same choke system. With the same XF choke, one of them gives tremendous breaks. The second one does well with it, but the Sporter exhibits wimpy breaks and mediocre results with it.

All three guns are unaltered, factory Invector Plus Browning tournament guns with the same bore diameter (.740).

I consider this choke a good training tool, if it works well in the gun.

Likely IMOD will work for you, and this choke seems to work well in most guns.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Frank Little always shot Ex-full factory Bbls .040 choke constriction.

A lot of Perazzi's TM-1s were extra full .040 i had several, always liked them' Perazzi patterns their guns at factory w #8s, but their shells are different than American Shells, look at their enclosed patterns w/your new Perazzi.

I personally like .035-.040 choke constrictions. I do not like the .750 bore guns, especially in winter, won't own another one.

Al Ljutic said the .740 bore was a perfect bore for 12 gauge, I believe him.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mine is choked 0.042"

Seems to work OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.