1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Exterior paint, semi gloss vs flat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm painting an exterior patio cover on my house. I want a rich clay red to match the tile roof. I'd like to go with a semi-gloss latex (in CA laytex is all we get) but one of the guys who is bidding on the job insists that flat paint will weather better. So far, I can't find anything to corroborate this claim. In fact, it looks as if semi gloss will hold up to the sun and rain better. Any painters out there who know about this?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm not a painter but I think he's right. Exposure to the elements will dull the semi gloss shine and may create a splotchy effect. Here in S. Florida flat finish is the preferred choice for just that reason. Take his advice and use the flat.

Eric

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Here in Arizona I had my last house painted in Semi gloss and it looked like brand new after 10 years, just had to redo the trim which was in flat paint after about 7 years ... The house I am in now has been painted with Dunn-Edwards semi gloss which is the same exact paint and color as the last house and after 5 years it looks like it was just painted yesterday, this time I had them paint the trim also in the semi gloss and it also looks like it was just painted yesterday ... Dunn-Edwards ain't cheap but its the best there is available in flat of semi gloss ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Any paint that is exposed to direct sun light is going to fade. Flats worse than glosses. The higher the sheen the better. Depending on the surface you are putting int on. Make sure you use a very good primer 1/2 tinted to the color and two I repeat two coats finish.

Dan Woods

35 years painter

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you use semi-gloss and are working around the house and get some dirt on the siding, the semi-gloss will clean up without getting out the paint can. I don't like flat paint indoors either for the same reason. If you don't like semi for indoors, try eggshell instead of flat, it will clean a little easier. Sherwin Williams A100 is one of the better ones, though costly. Good luck.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The paint we use inside is Dunn-Edwards also mixed 50/50 flat and semi gloss cleans up like you would never believe ... The rep from Dunn-Edwards told me to try it because thats what he uses in his own home, it works out great ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I wish I could be sure...I'm going to talk directly with Dunn Edwards on Monday and get their take. I only want to do this once.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The semi-gloss will hold up better outside on your home. The flat paints will weather (fad) and look older faster if that is what you are looking for to match your roof. You will have to repaint the home in less time with the flat. I know because I just had to do mine again this year with the semi-gloss. My neighbor and I painted our homes at the same time around 7 years ago (mine was flat) and his still looks good, and mine got all that chalk that came off on your hand. That let me know it was time to repaint. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The flattening agent in flat paint gives it a rough surface that holds dirt, making it harder to clean.

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

it looks like all post are mainly correct. Semi-Gloss has a higher sheen however it will fade a little bit with time. But the good thing is it will last longer. Another good point is that the flat paint will have a rougher feel to it so it will attract a little more dirt. A semi-gloss will clean a little better as well. I know it's not an option but latex is your best paint for an outside job.

12. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

ive been painting for 33 years and best bet is semi-gloss or satin no flat
    but prep is everything Bob

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

rebelace is right on. You won't regret it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
flat or gloss paint on patio cover
amount of time for semi gloss exterior paint to fade