1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Exterior Anatomy of the Eye

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I have had some questions regarding eyes and whether or not (and why) exercises will/will not help.

I think if you look at the picture of the eye and eye muscles it will be self explanatory.

www.philkiner.com

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah Ole...

Helps to rinse your eyes with a neutral solution too before you shoot to get out the "fuzzzz"

Tahnks fo rposting that P. I'll get to you and get a exercise DVD. Verks on my computer screen, yes? I have a 24" model. Perhaps you can comment on how far away adn stuff like that.

Jack

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I wondered what those oblique muscles did, looking as they do as if they just would twist the eye. The explanation is above.

Neil

4. Phil Kiner

Jack- the larger the screen the more intense the workout. With a 24" computer monitor I would watch at normal keyboard distance.

The six muscles working "together" allow the eye to move in all directions from a full circle to the various degrees of diagonal.

5. JACK

PK. I have a order on the way to you fo rthe DVD. Between yoru shootin vid, JOrdan's Wall chart, and now 25 year old eyes, ia m sure to breake the sound barrier this year. If not, Where you ging to be in July?

Thanks. Jack

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

After only one week of using the Phil Kiner Eye Exercise Video. It's like standing one yard closer!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HX_5zIXxKEU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HX_5zIXxKEU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Ban that woman! She's juiced up on steroids!!!!

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are six skeletal muscles, arranged in three pairs, that move the eye. These muscles always contract in pairs. Most of the time, these muscles are controlled by the autonomic nervous system and this insures both eyes are looking at the same thing. The voluntary nervous system can override the autonomic system to take over contraction of these muscles.

Phil- Lets chat at the Southern Grand about exercise. There are two basic types of exercise that are independent of each other. Forceful exercise (weight lifting) increases muscle size and strength (involves red muscle fibers). Endurance exercise (long distance running) increases metabolic capacity (white fibers)of the muscles but has little to do with strength.

Pat Ireland

9. Phil Kiner

Pat -- Muscles can also get "kinks/knots" that can be worked out and stretched out. That is part of the "secret" to why this works.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like to exercise mine at the beach.

11. DocJim

DocJim Member

Do we have a board certified ophthomologist on the thread who could comment on the value of eye exercises? They used to be recommended for children with certain eye problems but I don't think they are the standard of care at this time.
    AJ

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- I agree that your eye exercises can help shooting but I have my doubts that the benefit involves the muscles that move the eyeball. I suspect the benefits are more related to convergence of the eyes on one point and concentration on a single point. This involves the nervous system. Yes, it is possible to stretch a muscle to the point that causes some damage to the muscle fibers (kinks,knots), but this is very difficult to do this with the 3 pair of muscles that move the eye.

A quick glance at the diagram posted by Phil will show that the oblique muscles rotate the eye and the rectus muscles move the eye right-left and up-down. Both eyes must be looking at the same point or vision will be blurred.

Pat Ireland

13. Phil Kiner

I have been going to the same "eye doctor" since 1988. She has helped me to help my shooting.

SUE E. LOWE, O.D., FCOVD, FAAO
    Dr. Lowe received her Doctorate in Optometry from Pacific University College of Optometry. Dr. Lowe also holds a Bachelor degree in Zoology from the University of Wyoming. Throughout her career in Optometry, Dr. Lowe has served the Wyoming Optometric Association in all elected positions including President from 1990-1991. She is also a national officer in the American Optometric Association's sports vision section. Dr. Lowe serves on the American Academy of Optometry Examining Board and the International Examining and Certification Board of the College of Optometrics in Vision Development. In addition to Dr. Lowe's expertise in her profession, she is very active in her community.

She thinks "eye exercises" help but I am sure she doesn't know as much on this subject as most trapshooters(tic).

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have a lazy eye that wants to drift left of center when tired or stressed. My Doc has had me do exercises since I was a kid. One movement was to hold a pencil and track the eraser as it moved side to side-up and down.

My sons problem was worse, he had to have one muscle shortend to correct.

15. JACK

PK. Tell us again how we order the DVD and the cost. I did check your website and only ofund the shooting vid. post up the address and stuff.

16. Phil Kiner

www.philkiner.com
    click on the same link that goes to the trapshooting video

or http://philkiner.com/order.asp that should get you there also

17. setter

setter Member

Clickable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

exterior eye anatomy