1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

extension tube for 11 87 Supermag question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2500 HD, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Going to Missouri on a snow goose hunt in March. Does anyone reccomend running an extension tube on your gun for the hunt? If so what brand and size of tube do you reccomend(2 or 3 shot extension). Do extension tubes affect the feel or swing of your gun? I'm using my 11 87 Supermag with 3" shell for this trip. Thanks for your advice. Ken

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No.

Federal migratory game bird regulations require plugging the shotgun so it holds no more than three shells. That's two in the magazine and one in the chamber.

If you do not have the Remington factory green magazine plug, go to a sporting goods store or a gun smith and get one. And test to make sure you cannot get more than two shells into the mag tube.

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

The spring snow goose hunt is a conservation order that follow different rules. You do not have to plug your magazine to limit your shell to 3. There is no limit to harvest or ammunition in your magazine. Extension tubes are allowed. I know guys use them, wondering how well they work.

4. Brian in Oregon

Well, if you're sure...

The problem with the 1187 and late model 1100s is that the extension tube will be a permanent modification, and will likely require a barrel clamp.

The old 1100 held on the mag tube cap with a detent ball in the forend. The cap had detents around the outer part of the bearing surface.

The 1187 and newer 1100s use a plastic insert that goes inside the mag tube. This plastic insert has teeth on it that engage teeth inside the mag tube cap.

The problem is the retention system for the plastic insert. The mag tube itself is dimpled and it engages slots on the plastic insert. You push the insert into the tube and twist it a quarter turn to disengage the dimples, and it will then pop out under spring pressure.

These dimples in the wall of the mag tube WILL NOT pass shells. The only way to get shells past them is to either flatten them out flush with the tube, or cut them away.

An extension tube can be installed, but there is nothing to hold it in place, so you'll constantly have to check that it has not come loose.

To revert back, the dimples are gone. So now there is nothing to hold the mag tube cap on. It's possible to use a rubber o-ring as a makeshift lockwasher, but this is not a perfect solution.

Synthetic stocked 3" 1187s can have the forend swapped with a universal one for a 3" 1187 or early 1100, since these have the early 1100 detent ball. Then an 1100 mag tube cap can be used. Here's the rub... I do not know if one of these forends will fit the 3.5" Supermag. I've never tried it.

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

I think that being a good shot is more important and more fun than to spray and pray. Leave the tube for future use on a riot gun.

6. Brian in Oregon

Another solution is to use two shotguns. We do that for crow hunting.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I am well aware of the modifications that are needed to add an extension tube. Anyone one on here actually use one for hunting. That is what my original question was about!!!!!!!

8. Brian in Oregon

I've used extension tubes on various Remington and Mossberg shotguns over the years for hunting. I like them for varmint and coyote hunting, but they're pretty useless here for bird hunting, though if I ever pick up an 1187 Super Mag for coyote hunting, I'd put a two-shot extension tube on it.

A five shot extension tube for a 26" barrel is only going to give three extra 3.5" shells, or maybe, just maybe, four extra shells if there is any slack left in the factory mag tube. That means a total of 6 or 7 shells plus one in the chamber.

A seven shot extension tube, which will require a 30" barrel, might give four or five extra 3.5" shells, for a total capacity of 7 or 8 plus one in the chamber.

Let's assume you are using the five shot extension tube and it gives four extra shots. Let's assume you're using 1-3/8 oz loads. That means 1.375 x 4 extra shells = 5.5 extra ounces of payload alone, not counting the weight of the rest of the shell, plus the weight of the extension tube itself. I'm going to guess the total is about a half a pound of extra weight. If that doesn't affect your swing, then go for it.

Make sure you buy quality. Some of the cheaper extension tubes have had their spot welded seams split.

Consider that under the new proposed legislation, if it passes without change, will define an 1187 Supermag with five shot extension tube as an assault weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

magazine extention for 11-87 super mag