1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extended vs flush chokes ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjwatc, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

Is there any avantage or disadvantage to using extended or flush choke tubes? Just wondering ...

Specifically I am wondering about the Beretta Optima Choke, but I am sure that any guns info will apply.

Thanks

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Extended ones are easier to change and keep tight on the line since you don't need a tool to keep them snug. If they get totally frozen in, you can get a vise on them too (or just vise-grips if they aren't too bad.)

Neil

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

IMO, guns with relatively short flush chokes like RemChokes prob'ly benefit from extended choketubes........guns with relatively long flush chokes like Beretta Optima, no. Make a side-by-side comparison, you'll note that a flush Beretta Optima choketube is almost exactly the same length as an extended RemChoke.

John C. Saubak

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta with optima chokes and use both flush mount and extended factory chokes. I do not think they shoot any different. The only real benefit I ever realized with an extended choke was when an accidental drop on concrete deformed the end of an extended choke, but the barrel was unhurt. Replacing a $45 choke is less painful than having a barrel repaired or replaced.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Leo, quote: <i>"The only real benefit I ever realized with an extended choke was when an accidental drop on concrete deformed the end of an extended choke, but the barrel was unhurt. Replacing a $45 choke is less painful than having a barrel repaired or replaced."</i>

Well, I also like the convenience of being able to change them easier, but, I wish all my chokes for my field guns were extended for the very reason you mention - to protect the muzzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

extended choke tube vs flush

extended choke vs flush choke for trap shooting