1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extended or flush choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Perhaps you learned shooters can answer this. I am shooting a Browning XT with Browning/Brilet invector plus choke tubes. Is there a shooting advantage to using the extended choke tubes over the flush tubes? I am aware of the indentification advantage and the ease of changing the tubes, but are the extended tubes breaking more targets for me? Thanks, Martinpicker

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

This exact same question was answered for me by "Stormy" at Briley a couple of days ago. I have been shooting Brily extended chokes in my MX3 Special and just don't like the way the gun looks with the extended choke hanging off the end of the barrel. While they pattern great, they look bad, in my opinion. I asked if Briley could make these chokes in a flush mount that would give me the same patterns. I was told that they could make them, no problem, and that they would pattern just as well as the extended chokes do. Short story is: I have them on the way to me..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

They do protect the muzzle when you put the muzzle on that rubber or whatever at your station. Easier to handle and change chokes. Said to give better patterms, but who is the expert here? Look at the target not the sight and most imp, keep head on stock, wood to wood.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

The only downside of an extended choke tube is that your barrel may not fit
    in your case.

I prefer and have purchased BLACK extended tubes for my trap guns. Not only are they much easier to change, but it's much easier to see which choke is installed. No empiracal data to support my feeling that they break more targets or pattern any better, but they seem to work better than flush mount chokes of the same constriction.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the claims that extended tubes pattern better because of a longer "parallel section" are just sales speak.

I don't think they pattern any better than flush, but they're easier to take out of your barrel when you change them.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

timb99... The extra parallel theory was my concern as well. I was just told that, more or less, that theory is just hype. I am going to try the new flush chokes when I get them and pattern them on paper to try to re-enforce that fact. I think it is really just a bunch of sales propaganda, but, we will see...... Dan

7. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I use them to protect the crown of the barrel and the rib on the one gun I own with tubes. the rest are Model 12`s and are as God intended - fixed.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

over on another shotgun website, I did a "field test" with my K80 Ti chokes, Briley Ti chokes,Muller chokes, Teague extended chokes, and Teague flush chokes.

Summary: I did not detect any advantage regarding breaking targets, that the extended have over flush. The flush Teagues proved to break the targets just as well as my other extended chokes. If you have quality chokes, whether they be flush or extended, they both will break targets when you do your part.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=229515

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

sernv: do I understand correctly that Teague chokes have NO parallel section?

Bob

10. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

X3 on protecting the muzzle. I slipped on an icey step last winter and was glad I had an extended choke in my K80.

11. team henges

team henges TS Member

I always shoot wrights extended chokes for a few reasons. one is that they are very high quality chokes and another is that an extended choke gives you another 3/4 or 1 in of barrel

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Bob

yes, that is my understanding about Teague chokes. They seem to work fine. My flush measured 1.5" and my extended measured 2". Both crushed targets when i did my part.

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thank you for your input, guys. I have both extended Brileys and flush Brileys for my XT. They seem to pattern about the same. I hadn't really thought about the protection issue, but the Beast convinced me. Thanks again, Martinpicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley vs teague chokes

do invector plus chokes have a parallel section
extended choke vs flush choke for trap shooting
extrnded trap choked

flush mount vs extended choke tubes

flush or extended choke tubes

flush vs extended chokes

teague flush chokes