1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extended Magazines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

As an active shooter of semi-auto handguns, I have always wondered while some people seem to want so badly to own extended magazines for their handguns. I have tried one and while it was certainly fun to be able to continue shooting long after my regular magazine would have been empty, that pleasure was not outweighed by the difficulty of loading and carrying them.

I can't see any value that extended magazines have for either personal or home defense or CC and police officers have told me they do increase the danger to them. I have also been told that they are much more likely to malfunction, particularly when installed rapidly and under user pressure.

Since many people on this site have indicated their fear that they will be outlawed and have suggested "getting yours now", I am assuming that there must be some good reasons to have them.

I am not looking for a fight here. I am really looking for some reason to go out and buy some new shooting stuff.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've never had any malfunctions with larger capacity magazines in any of my guns. There is quality and there is junk with anything.

Matt

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll add that if you really have to ask why you would need them, you probably don't. I use them for my entertainment. I do alot of "plinking". Just shooting for fun. If thats what you like to do, it makes more shooting time for slightly more loading time.

Matt

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

The full auto Glock guys love the capacity and they give leverage to hang onto the damn thing when used as a two handed grip.

Bob

5. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

If you shoot an open gun in IPSC, you use the high cap magazines. Today, the IIPSC trend is to 10 round magazines and courses of fire are designed around shooting only 10 rounds from any position with giving the opportunity to reload before engaging another group of targets.

My open IPSC gun was built over 15 years ago when everyone was shooting an open gun.

John Semprini

6. Alaskamodel12

Alaskamodel12 TS Member

Whether or not I want to use an extended magazine there is no question whatsoever that banning them will not prevent some nut from doing something that is very bad. So after large capacity magazines are banned the anti-gun people will go after something else; semi-auto's (including long guns, especially if the next nut uses a long gun), private sales of guns, keeping large inventories of ammo and components, reloading, handguns of a certain caliber, barrels that don't imprint rifling on projectiles, who knows?

So gun owners need to draw the line as soon as there is a proposal to blame an inanimate object like a magazine, a gun, a sight, or a cartridge. If we allow something to be banned just because we don't use it but our neighbor does then next time what will be banned is something we need to use (and our neighbor will already have gotten rid of his guns, and we shouldn't expect his help).

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

AK sums it up. When clit banned the mags before did it do anything ??? NO ASS rifles??? did it change any thing other than price??? NO This all "knee jerk BS" What if the nut had a REM 870 street sweaper with 25 rounds of 00 buck. Been way more dead

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind the last time we did this dance (2004 AWB renewal) that shotguns like the 870, 1100, 1187 and Model 12 were on the ban list because their magazines were too large.

It reminds me of the gal who is asked if she would sleep with a guy for a million dollars. "Of course!" So he asks if she would sleep with him for $20. "What do you think I am? A prostitute?" He says yes, we're just negotiating the price.

So when a gunowner says we don't need "high capacity" magazines and it's OK to ban them, he's actually saying "I'm an anti-gunner."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.