1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EXTENDED CHOKES?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Do extended chokes form a better pattern than standard factory type chokes??

2. ismah

ismah Member

Maybe my question isn't clear. Does anyone have first hand knowledge that extended chokes (the ones that stick out past the end of a barrel) form a better, more consistent pattern than standard chokes?? I've read the reports on them and am not convinced they do.

3. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

A good choke is a good choke extended or not. The benfit of the extended choke for me is the ability to screw it in by hand and check it for tightness periodically without a wrench. Some will tell you that the longer choke will make a better pattern. My experience at the patterning board would say it is not always true. Like I said....A good choke pattern is a good choke pattern! Patterns can change with differing ammo just as easy as it will with a different choke. Spend some time and find out what works best in your gun and stick with it.
    Good Luck!

4. ismah

ismah Member

MILKMASTER, Thank you for the input. You have stated my own thoughts on the subject.

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

From my experience, yes.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Salesmen and advertisements would sure have you believe so.

The only way to know is to pattern them, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the extended choke tube manufacturers have published any third party test data that shows extended chokes perform any better than flush chokes.

Only adverts that say the parallel section does this and that, and how the holes stop the wad, and this makes patterns better.

Of course, Teague chokes are well respected, and they have no parallel section at all.

Really, I don't know.

But I'd say, probably not.

7. peteodie

peteodie Member

I think the only way you can answer your question is to go to a pattern board and test it for yourself. If you can test ones that friends have to compare. The other thing to take into consideration is the maker, shot type, Win or Rem etc. Good Luck on your final out come Pete G. Dallas

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

As most of the above posters already mentioned is that you need to pattern them. With that being said, years ago when the first choke tubes hit the market they were rather short in length. I have patterned a good number of fixed choke and choke tube barrels over the years and when the first short choke tubes were patterned I felt that they did not throw patterns equal to a fixed choke barrel, especially from the 27 yard line.

In the early years, I felt the short choke tubes were only good for hunting and skeet shooting. Over the years with the chokes being made longer, in my opinion they are now on par with fixed choked barrels all the way back to the 27 yard line. I now feel the longer the choke tube the better. So in answer to your original question, from what Ive seen patterning from the naked eye, I would say yes. Although I can not prove this by scientific means, the patterns look better to me.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree with milkmaster, but I would add that the main reason I use extended chokes are that I put my gun barrel on a rest between shots and should I miss the rest or for some reason it would slip off, I would prefer to replace a damaged extended choke rather that a damaged gun barrel! Jack

10. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I like them for the convenience they offer in verifying what choke I have in the gun and the ease in which they can be removed.

My primary reason for liking them is the protection they offer the muzzle end of the barrel. I would rather have to ditch a dinged choke tube than have to repair a chewed up muzzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are choke tubes suppose to stick out barrel of gun

extended chokes