1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Extended Chokes/Constrictions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MarkinMI, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkinMI

MarkinMI TS Member

I shoot a Browning Special Trap O/U with 30"bbls. Thinking about upgrading the choke tubes. Currently use the factory Inv+ with IM for 16 and Full for handicap. Shoot 2 3/4" 3 dram 1 1/8 8's from the 16 and same 7 1/2 from handicap. Average is 21. Questions: What would be the benefit from extended tubes? Second, do I need/want them? Third, why the different constrictitons? Looking at Browning factory replacements, Briley Titanium full is .705, Diana grade full is .695 and Midas full is .707. Briley Titanium IM is .714, Diana .705 and Midas .717. Any input would be much appreciated.

PS: Cabela's has the Titanium's on sale for $69.99, regular $90+.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

MarkinMi: E-mail at above and I will send you cost of tubes, I sell them at reduced costs and can save you almost $20 per tube for extended stainless ported tubes, I sell Comp-n-Chokes and Kicks Smoke tubes, and they are very good tubes, They make them for all guns w/factory tubes.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

MarkinMI, there are a few reasons why different constrictions exist for same degree of choke. One is there is a large gap that generally is considered full choke with a starting point of .30 to .42. As such tube maker will try and fit there desire somewhere in here but not all agree at an absolute. Second, some maybe designed for different barrel diameters. Here again there are no absolutes with overbored barrels. A third reasn would be that some tube companies are concerened with usage of steel shot and as such relax a given degree of chokes constriction. Iam sure there are more.

A reason to get an aftermarket choke would be to actually get a desired degree of constriction. Most likely your tubes degree of constriction is relaxed for its degree of choke. This is common with your manufacture.

In testing, I have seen short tubes print better patterns than aftermarket or/and extended tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.