1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

extended choke tubes,ported verses unported

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackmac, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

what is the overall difference when shooting ported tubes as compared to unported tubes? Is there a difference?

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Ported tubes are a real pain to clean and offer no advantage. Ed

3. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Jackmac I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread.

I would also like to know what the difference is between the chaokes that extend past the barrel end and the ones that are flush with the barrel.

Corey

4. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

I think the only advantage of extended tubes are, they are easily identified, and quick to change (no wrenches needed) I just don't know if they improve shot patterns by so called stripping the shot cup?

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Choke tubes suck! Ported choke tubes suck noisily!

Buz

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

...and there you have it, folks! Choke tubes suck! and from a real expert on the subject!

7. kreith

kreith Member

Jackmac, I have owned a couple of guns with ported barrels and now I own a K-80 with unported barrels. I cannot notice any difference. Save your money.

Corey, I really can say that I prefer the patterns my Briley chokes give in lieu of my standard Krieghoff chokes, but it is a personal choice. The other reason I choose extended chokes is I rest my barrel on my toe, therefore, if I have a mishap and it slips off of my toe and grinds on the concrete I only have to pay to replace my choke tube not a 4K barrel. Hope this helps.

Cory

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

The theory behind extended choke tubes is that the restriction is spread out over a longer area than with a flush mount. Example: going from bore diameter to say a modified choke at .020 restriction, the angle of the inside of the choke will be less on a choke tube that is 3 inches long and extends out of the barrel, than a flush mount tube that is only 1 1/2 inches long. In other words the tightening of the column, within which the payload of shot travels through, will be spread out over a further distance making the change more gradual. This is said to provide less shot deformation and provide a better overall pattern.

To address the question of porting and it's benefits, I have seen no difference in patterns on a patterning board or distance that the wad travels, from a ported vs. non-ported barrel.

To add to this discussion, I have also tried 8 fingered wads and numerous different 4 fingered wads, and on my range all the wads travel roughly the same difference, with some of the 4 fingered wads falling closer to the trap house than the 8 fingered wads. Due to this discovery and the fact that 4 fingered wads seem much easier to load, I have switched over exclusively to 4 fingered wads.

Just my 2 cents worth,
    Mr. Mark

9. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Gotta go with Big Tuna here-bought a set of ported Briley's for my Ultra sporter, never again. Hard to clean, LOUD, and no recoil reduction I could feel. Not a knock on Briley as I believe any brand would be the same.

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The ones I have were made to order and are ported. The only thing I can see different is the wad does come off the shot a little quicker, The wad drops about 6-7 yards before the un-ported tubes I have.

In trap I am not sure if that 6 or 7 yards are that important but cleaning is no big thing. I just clean the barrel with the tube in it and they both clean up fine.

Wast of money ?? Mine cost no more either way ported or not.

Rock

Jim

11. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Wast of money ?? Mine cost no more either way ported or not."</blockquote>

Speaking of money and choke tubes...Angle Port (Ballistic Specialties) has their choke tubes on sale right now...$25 each or 5 for $100...either ported or plain, extended or flush. Normally $60+ each.

Mike

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I prefer unported tubes to ported. After stating this, all I use are Comp-N-Choke tubes. They don't, and won't, make a unported tube. The slots that are in their tubes are there to strip the wad away from the shot. As far as performance, Comp-N-Choke has them all beat hands down in the guns that I shoot. The downside for this performance is the cleaning that these tubes need on a regular basis. Just a little food for thought.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley chokes ported vs non ported
difference between ported and noported choke tubes
ported chokes versus unported
ported chokes vs non ported chokes

ported or unported choke tubes

ported vs standard choke tubes
ported vs unported choke tubes
whats the difference between ported chokes