1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Explosive shell load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

On page 11 of the P-W Manual it explains about index error. Today I was loading and my machine didn't index properly and dropped a double charge of shot and dbl charge of powder into the respective shells. I removed the dbl charged shot and almost proceeded loading shells without also removing the shell with the dbl powder charge. I decided to finish loading that shell with the dbl load and with the hydraulic pressure you can't feel anything wrong and the shell loaded just fine and the only thing noticeable was a small hole about the size of a #8 BB in the end of the shell. It now had 36 grains of Clays, a Fig 8 wad and 1 1/8 oz. of #8 hard shot. Could this be the cause of the gun explosions? A combination of machine malfunction and operator error? I wonder if a lab has tried this combination in a test. I'm not willing to try it in my guns. Bruce Bowen do you still have the H & R to try it in?. Anyone ever fired a shell with dbl charge and the rest of the components? Tell us what happened. Glenn

2. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Glenn: Bruce Bowen answered this a couple of days ago. Yes, he tried a double-charge of powder, it was unremarkable. Phil E
    "when we were trying different loads in the h&r, two charges of powder and two charges of shot with no wad (this will go in a shell and crimp just fine) developed slightly less pressure than a saami proof load. we shot about 10 of them and they were consistant. two charges of powder and one charge of shot (this will go in with the right wad combination) developed slightly more that a saami proof load. we shot about 10 of these as well and they are consistant. i think it is very difficult to reload a shotgun shell that will develop pressures that greatly exceed a saami proof load. if anyone has a recipe we will try it again in the trusty h & r. and give the results. please keep in mind we tried all the usual suggestions, bulleye, etc.

as for barrel obstructions, we shot about half a dozen trap loads with a 20 live shell down against the forcing cone. in every case, it just shot the 20 ga out the barrel not even lighting it off. i think if the obstruction is farther down the barrel damage would occur. i'm certainly no suggesting anyone try this. i am just stating what happened in our h & r. i personally think that reloads are seldom if ever the cause of a catastrophic failure in a shotgun.

bruce bowen 12/23/08"

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

With the hydro, you shouldn't stop and backup... You probably went too far, then backed up too far and that's what caused the problem.

A double load of shot will really show itself to the point that you can't continue without removing some of the shot, by either cutting or vacuuming in out.

A double powder load on my setup will also show itself. However, this is based on the original volume of powder. If you are loading a minimum volume, then a double volume may not show itself so readily.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.