Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exploding Targets Questions

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Brian in Oregon 
#1 ·
Ok its not Trap shooting but i was curious what you guys can tell me about the Tannerite and Sure Shot Exploding Targets. I know its (2) chemicals when mixed and hit by a high velocity round = a pretty nice explosion for entertainment. I also have read where its pretty stable when unmixed. I was wondering how legal it is? Is there one recommended over another? I was planning on trying some for a little extra shooting fun. Anything i need to know? Thanks all.

P.S.Here is the links to the (2) main sellers.

Matt

www.tannerite.com

www.shop.sureshotexplodingtargets.com

#2 ·
Matt, just remember it is legal to have the 2 chemicals. Once you mix them together they have to be used on the spot because you just made a explosive compound. Usually the ingredients are potassium chlorate and finely ground aluminum powder, or ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. The aluminum powder is pricey like $20 a pound, but will make about 5 pounds of targets.

#5 ·
Thanks TOOLMAKER.

There are plenty of YouTube vids of the stuff already. There is also plenty of potential illegal things on YouTube is why i asked. Thats where i originally spotted the stuff. Thanks.

Matt

#9 ·
Tannerite is a legal binary explosive, and is lawful under federal law to transport in your private vehicle provided it is not mixed. This is why it has to be mixed and used on site. It also is not lawful for unlicensed individuals to use a detonator, like a blasting cap, to initiate Tannerite. You must use a firearm of sufficient shock power. From the website above, here is a link to the federal authority for this. Go to section 48.

http://www.tannerite.com/legality/

There is also an FAQ here:

http://www.tannerite.com/frequent-questions/

There's even a Wikipedia page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

And Dan Tanner's phone number is on his website. Call and get answers straight from him if your question is not answered. If in doubt of ANYTHING, call. It's easier to ward off legal issues before they happen than afterwards.

If you keep your quantities small, use common sense, be aware of how the blast can throw debris like gravel, don't assume it's a firecracker and shoot it at close range, use eye protection, check your local laws, and have courtesy for others, you should not have a problem. On the other hand if you put 100 lbs in the back of a dump truck and blow it to Mars, causing a shock wave that puts a nuclear power plant into alert mode, you may well be in a heap o' trouble like this guy:

How to ensure local authorities will respond with negative feedback to your Tannerite misadventure.

And don't take Tannerite on an airplane or other public transportation. That's definitely not using common sense.

BTW, Dan is a good friend of mine and we've hunted together for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.