1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain how the rib on the 90-T HPAR works?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rawhohusaglocol, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawhohusaglocol

rawhohusaglocol Member

Can someone explain how the rib functions on the 90-T HPAR? If I wanted to change the POI after patterning, what should I do to achieve what I want? Thanks in advance!
    John

2. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

To raise your POI, remove both set screws and lower the rib. Screws must be installed in the same sequence (1st hole in front, 1st hole in the middle). Be careful with these screws, the head strips out easily.

DM

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There are two screws holding the rib onto the barrel. You must remove both screws and then move the rib in the direction that you wish to go. The screws have to be in the same hole on each bracket. To raise the pattern up, you lower the front of the rib. You will also find that you will need to raise the comb slightly. This will give you the same sight picture and effectively raise your pattern. If you wish to lower the pattern, raise the front of the rib and lower the comb. Bill Malcolm

4. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

John:
    First off, congrats on what appears to be (from your question) a new to you 90-T HPAR.
    If you take a look at your barrel, you will find that there are three allen head set screws.
    One at the rear on the right side, and two on the left side in mid rib and in the front.

Notice also that there are 4 holes in the mid rib and front.

What you do to lower the rib (which will raise your POI), is to remove the mid and front allen screw and (CORRECTION -> Do NOT loosen the rear screw). Then what I do is using the front of the rib, I move the rib up or down so that the next hole that the screw can go into is aligned. Put the screw in and then put the screw in for the mid rib hole. Tighten enough so that the rib does not rattle or vibrate, test this by closing the barrel. If loose, you will hear the rib kind of set up a vibration noise.

I have mine set all the way down, which means the screws are in the front most holes. This will provide you with the highest POI.

Now, some guys ONLY use the adjustable comb for their POI adjustment. Once they get that set, they may then adjust the rib to provide the bead stacking that they like to see, such as a figure 8 or some such.

Lastly, I do recall that some of the earlier 90T HPAR's did not provide a POI adjustment by the rib for some shooter's style or taste. Remington (The shop that made them for Remington is known today as Kolar Arms) apparently made adjustments to the HPAR adjustable rib to remedy this. However I do not know what that fix actually is/was. I suspect the hole location was adjusted.

In any case, I hope this helps you. I would not use ball end allen keys and take it easy on those screws so as not to mar them. You want a 3/32 key for the front and middle screws and a 5/64.
    for the rear. I keep a fine set of Xcelite allen key drivers with the extension in the 90T gun case.

BTW, Doug Breaker is the guru of these guns from a smithing standpoint. He and others can probably add and or correct what I have said here....

Cheers,
    Art

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

No need to loosen the rear pivot screw, the rib will still pivot. By the way, the pivot screw is generally Loc-tited, so any attempt to loosen will strip out the hex socket.

An aftermarket rib WAS available to get the gun shooting higher. None are available now...not yet anyway.

Doug

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Doug, weren't you looking into making some of those higher shooting ribs? Bill Malcolm

7. rawhohusaglocol

rawhohusaglocol Member

@ UpNorthMN - Thanks!
    @ Beretta687EELL - Thanks!
    @ Star4Ever - Extremely helpful. Doug has worked on both of my 90-T's.
    @GunDr - Always appreciate your input, Doug!

8. bdm4_21

bdm4_21 Member

I wish someone would make an aftermarket rib to make them shoot higher

9. rawhohusaglocol

rawhohusaglocol Member

@ bdm4_21 - Have you looked into Add-A-Rib, Keen-Site, MoneyMaker Guncraft or Bridge Shoot?

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Sounds like, from the last few words in Doug's reply, that he maybe, could, might, aught to have a skunk works project going on to fabricate a rib that raises the POI higher? That would be nice.
    After all... He IS the Gun Doctor

Art

11. rawhohusaglocol

rawhohusaglocol Member

So, can I get some input as to what the ratios could be from the lowest POI to the highest POI?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tighten rib on a remington 90t

removing 90t rib