1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain handicap shooting to me

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I never shot handicap. The guys at the club tell me it's easier than at the 16.
    Also, why does everyone want to gain yardage and make it to the 27? If I was to start shooting handicap, where would I start?

Hawk,

2. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Handicap used loosely around the club means shooting anything behind the 16 yard line. In the ATA shooters have a specific handicap yardage that they shoot at. It's determined by their ability etc.

Start wherever you like. I do recommend that you start shooting farther back for a lot of reasons but the best thing is it sure makes those 16 yard birds look bigger. You'll notice the timing and leads change.

all the best,
    john

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Please forgive me for this but it is the first thing that popped into my very small cranial cavity ...

Shooting handicaps is not a thing of honor at all. Shooting handicaps are much easier to shoot than 16 but come on ... anyone can shoot a handicap on crutches or in a chair but shooting a fast moving 16 year old is much more challenging and a far better accomplishment.

Sorry ... that was bad.

4. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

The day you made it to the 27?

Hawk,

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Lumper's first post?

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

870 ... MIA owes you a very big prize but what I dont understand is MIA speaks of extending the hand of friendship but does derogatory things like this. Possibly a little 2-facedness?

What is saddest of all though is he spent his time for such a feeble form of attack but I'll give him credit for his persistent attacks of me ... I wonder what admin would say about that?

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

lumper Hey buddy, do us a favor and crawl back under your rock. RG

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

handicap shooting is very easy. most of this sport is supported by us ameteure shooters b.c and d class shooters who give all the winnings to the big dogs who should be in industry class.Futhermore, sandbaggers in 16 yard event who average 49.5 in league ahooting shoot are allowed to shoot in c and d class events.

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

hawk57:

Handicap shooting is just a part of the whole trap experience. As many has told you already, it is shot from a distance behind the trap starting at the 20 yard line for most then one progressively moves back according to their scores. It is a great event, but has always been flawed simply because there is (well used to be) money to be won and people manipulate the rules for personal gain.

I don't care what thread you read on here or any other trapshooting venue, you will find absolutely disgusted people voicing their opinion about how the handicap system stinks. Many like it the way it is and that is OK, but I believe if you have that many disgruntled trapshooters, there must be some merit to the issue. You think maybe the ATA should step up to the plate and listen to their members?

Mark Rounds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.