1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain a CALCUTTA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

What is a calcutta? how do you figure out who wins what ?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Here's how it's done generally. Everyone who wants to enter a calcutta pays an entry fee. After all the entrys are done, there's an auction for the shooters. Let's say Joe buys Bill, Tom buys Harry, etc, etc. Now lets say there's $2,000 in the pot and the calcutta is going to pay out 4 places at 40-30-20-10% of the pot for the 4 highest scores.

As the buyer you're going to get 70% of what ever place money your shooter wins and the shooter gets 30%. If you bought the shooter with the highest score in the calcutta, you'd get $560 (70% of the $800 for 1st place) and the shooter would get $240 (30% of $800).

The number of payout places and the percentages of payouts varies depending on who's running the event. If there are tie scores for a win then ties divide that part of the pot. All of the above is how I run the Calcuttas at my club. Others will have variations on the same theme.

Eric

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He covered it well. He did leave out that the club usually has a drag of a certain amount from the entry fee. The remaining entry fee plus the auction money is the pot to be split. I also might add that Calcuttas are ilegal in some states. The way some of the clubs get around it is, the buyer of the team must shoot the last target or a target to be considered on that team. The reason is it is legal to bid on your self but not on someone else. ( that only applies in some states)The way it is done here is the team finishes, then the buyer goes out and shoots a 16 yd target. His score does not affect the team as it is just a formality. Calcuttas can draw big crowds and sometimes have large pots. It is all about the bidding. I used to shoot around lower Mich and upper Indiana and have seen $3000 + pots. That was 20 years ago

4. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Hey cubancigar,

The calcuttas have picked back up greatly back around here (SW Mich). We're back to having them on a weekly basis.

Our's are paid 50/50 buyer/shooter and the club does not drag any money out of the calcutta, just target fees.

If your ever back in the neighborhood let us know and we'll tell you where we are shooting that week.

Regards,
    Matt Krizinski

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

seen some good one at flyer shoots: 85% buyer, 15% shooter 50/30/20 ties divide.
    Proper way is to put entries on board, high bidder gets choice, best shooters go for highest price, thereby establishing odds.

6. cubancigar2000

Matt, you dont know how much I would like to. I miss shooting the Mich shoots. I would not even know anybody anymore except maybe Todd & his partner which I cannot remeber his name ( was it Louie?)seems like it was somebody from Elkhart

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just to clear up a minor point or two. We do not "drag" any money from the Calcutta pot, all monies are returned to the winners same as a Lewis class payout. It is a non-official option. Target fees are a completely seperate expense.

Eric

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

EuroJoe described a "Wild Card", thats when the bidding gets done first and then high bidder gets his or her choice of the shooters that have not been sold as of yet ... Anybody can call a "Wild Card" anytime (within reason) they want and start the bidding, then it gets fast and furious ... Nothing like a Good Ol Calcutta to get your blood pumping ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

cubancigar,

Yes it was Todd and Louie. Todd is still as tough as they come. Louie is also tough but not shooting as much anymore.

Regards,
    Matt

10. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I had an old timer explain Calcutta's to me once. He told me "You give your money to this guy and then he gives it to someone else!" It makes perfect sense to me and in most cases is correct! But they sure are hard to stay out of!!!!

Ed

11. chuckles

chuckles Member

When a person bids on another is he automatically becoming a shooter himself, do you have to be a shooter to enter the Calcutta...???

12. cubancigar2000

Chuckles - no you do not, thats the reason in Idaho a non shooter has to become one or it is ilegal FYI - our drag is the target fees and it is very reasonable

13. cubancigar2000

wildcard - so do you just bid on a wildcard and the buy of the wildcard gets his pick of shooters or teams and then you sell off the rest?? Sounds like something I want to add to ours

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The "Wild Card" can be called by a bidder at anytime but they usually call them randomly in between the bidding of the other shooters ... I have seen Wild Cards go for big dollars if some of the Big Guns are left in the bidding pool ... There is nothing like a big Calcutta to get some excitement in the air ... I would like to have the money that has been wagered on Big Leo over the years, it would be staggering ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I usually see "wild cards" sold off first. The people running the calcutta will determine the number of wild cards by the number of entries. I have never seen more than three wild cards sold during a calcutta.

This seems to really set the pace as the winning bidder can select any one/team from the board of entries. Then the retalitory bidding starts if one team is bought by another. The whole thing is worth just sitting and watching.

ss

16. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I need more info on these Calcuttas.

So can anyone walk in off the street and bet on a shooter?

If the pool is $1,000 and if only one person bet on Joe, and Joe wins, what is the winning bettors' payout?

Why do both the shooters and the bettors put up money? Does shooter money go to bettors, or is shooter money solely returned as winner's purses?

There's nothing wrong with the house taking a rake.

If a shooter is allowed to bet on another shooter, isn't there a conflict of interest?

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Smoking 357 asked:

I need more info on these Calcuttas.

Q: So can anyone walk in off the street and bet on a shooter? <<<<<<<<<

A: No, there is no "betting" as it's an auction but you can walk in and bid on a shooter.

Q: If the pool is $1,000 and if only one person bet on Joe, and Joe wins, what is the winning bettors' payout?<<<<<<<<<<

A: If you were the winning bidder and the pot was $1k and there were 4 places, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% and Joe had the high score the total for 1st place would be $400 or 40%, the buyers (you) part depending on buyers percentage could be 70% of $400 or $280.

Q: Why do both the shooters and the bettors put up money? Does shooter money go to bettors, or is shooter money solely returned as winner's purses? <<<<<

A: The shooter pays an entry fee to prime the pot. The bidder (not bettor) bids on any shooter or shooters. All moneys are put into one pot.

Q: There's nothing wrong with the house taking a rake.<<<<<<<<<

A: There really is no "house" as the club has no money at stake. Calcuttas are way to increase shooter attendence which means extra money for the club.

Q: If a shooter is allowed to bet on another shooter, isn't there a conflict of interest? <<<<<<<<

A: Yes & No. Remember a Calcutta is an auction not a horse race.

Eric

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Beware 357 is a non-shooting trouble maker.

Don

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Eric, thanks for the info. I'm really good with horse racing, so I think of everything in that model.

What's the difference between a "bidder" and a "bettor?"

How much does it ordinarily cost to bid on a shooter? Can bidders bid any amount over $2. If there are four winning bidders, I take it the winning shooter gets his cut, off the top, and the bettors' purse is split between the winners, pro rata?

A: The shooter pays an entry fee to prime the pot. The bidder (not bettor) bids on any shooter or shooters. All moneys are put into one pot.

You are correct. That's not directly analogous to a horse race. Bettor money doesn't make its way across the rail.

Q: There's nothing wrong with the house taking a rake.<<<<<<<<<

A: There really is no "house" as the club has no money at stake. Calcuttas are way to increase shooter attendance which means extra money for the club.

Well, if I ran a Calcutta, I'd be bringing in bettors from far and wide to get bets down. The house would take its 5%, bettor money would be returned to bettors, and the shooters would split purse money. Basically, pari-mutuel wagering on trapshooters. I'd also like to get shooters' records into a database and print programs.

Q: If a shooter is allowed to bet on another shooter, isn't there a conflict of interest? <<<<<<<<

A: Yes & No.

I'm still trying to understand this.

Thanks for the info. Oh, are calcuttas part of ATA? Do their results get shown on your ATA number?

20. cubancigar2000

They are not part of ATA. Betting on people is against the law here so we let the buyer shoot one target as a "team Member" therefore actually betting on themselves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

calcutta anaconda

calcutta wagering rules

how to shoot a calcutta in trap