1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experts double gun barrel regulation questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 410 JIM, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

How many of you have patterned both barrels your double barrel guns, to determine for sure if they both shoot to the same spot(defined as barrel regulation)pattern over pattern? What experiences do some of you have in this regard? Different Brands? How much deviation is acceptable between barrels? How many of you like myself, have never considered the possibility that the axis of the bores might not be exact and therefore reduce shooting performance: "They're pointed in the same direction aren't they?" Some manufacturers consider a foot deviation at 40 yardss to be ok. What is acceptable to you? Time for a brand allegiance free-for-all. Remember that it is Sunday. Thanks Jim

2. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

.....exactly in alignment(no I don't work for CBS)

3. wanderer

wanderer Member

My MX 10 o/u brls: bottom prints 4 in. higher than the top.

My MX 2000 o/u brls: bottom prints 3 in. higher than the top.
    G.E.G.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Some are fine, some are unshootable. You can't tell anything from the name or reputation; "reading the rings" is a clue, but little more than that. You have to find out on a gun-by-gun basis by carefully shooting them at a pattern-testing setup, several (better: many) shots. Lots of shooters will never be any good because their guns aren't.

Neil

5. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

My bottom shoots 5" higher than my top. I kinda thought this was a good thing for doubles since the second bird is not rising as fast or at all if I am slow.

6. radeck

radeck Member

Trying to work this geometry out... The few responses so far have the bottom shooting higher than the top by 3, 4, & 5 inches. What distance is that at? And is it the same distance for both barrels? Wouldn't a greater distance increase that variable? This is kind of like a triangle right?

7. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

radeck, as Neil states, it doesn't matter which brand or model of a brand from day to day, you have to pattern each individual set of barrels. You can either hope and pray or just get er done.

I would and will not shoot a set of barrels which are not within .5" of each other at 20 yds.

8. radeck

radeck Member

I assume the 1/2 inch separation at 20 yards is with the two fullest chokes you got, would that be the way to go?

I'm a fairly regular visitor to the pattern board, at least more frequent than some... Doing my 13 yard POI testing. But if I follow what's being said here - then you would use 13 yard POI testing for a SBT, and then drop back to 20 yards for double barrel gun regulation. Is that fair to say?

I also drop back to the 32 yard mark to look at the actual pattern/pellet dispersal (fot the choke I want to use for 16 yd singles). My theory being that singles targets are taken at about 32 yards. But that's another story.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

backwoods- Measuring the center of the pattern at 20 yards with one half inch accuracy is not a simple task. At 13 yards, shooting 10 targets, I typically find more than 1/2 inch variation in the point of impact with the same barrel. It is not the gun or the shells, but me that results in this.

Pat Ireland

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

My CG O/U barrels shoot to the same point of impact on the
    pattern board at 34 yards. Have it adjusted to a 90/10
    pattern just like the Unsingle barrel. Works for me.

Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

11. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I have a 20" Stoger SXS Coach Gun that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting with a left barrel that shot about 10" higher and 10" to the left of the right barrel at 13 yards. It cost me $150 to get it regulated and both triggers to the same pull. The smith went to the range with a bunch of reamers and got it to work OK. I was originally having trouble knocking steel plates down at 10 yards.

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

At 13yds my Caesar Guerini Magnus O/U shoots to the same point of impact - both barrels. From a sandbag rest I have them shooting 5 inches high. This is the same POI as my unsingle barrel 100 % high at 40 yds.

This way I have all three barrels to the same POI and shoot all targets the same whether it's singles, handicap, or doubles.

It works for Harlan Campbell Jr and it works for me.

Michael Stephenson - AA-26.5-AA

13. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Pat, be in San Antonio in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.