1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EXPERT BARREL BENDING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HDLLLIII, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Expert compared to what?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How did you keep from denting the rib? Was the support on the rib milled out for it? Did you distort the choke in the muzzle?

I use a Bbl bender from Brownells, Neil uses a tree fork. He posted a pic of the tree.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...what causes a barrel to get bent out of shape in the first place???

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...what causes a barrel to get bent out of shape in the first place???

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I can remember Herb Orr whacking a Remington barrel on a bag of shot in his little shop under the water tower at Vandalia to change the LOP. I'm sure it did ... where we'll never know!

Lots of us (self included) used to bend 1100 and 870 barrels to shoot higher. Beating them on truck tires was one preferred method ... for those with more finesse we built barrel benders out of C-clamps and 2x4's! Oh, those were the days when a great trap gun cost $350 and you did all kinds of weird stuff to it to make it shoot "better".

There is a shooter from South Carolina who actually put a rat-tail file to his 3200 Rem. chokes and "opened them up a tad". I could hardly believe my eyes ... now you know why I look over trade in guns very carefully.

Thanks for the chuckle and the trip down memory lane ...

Bob Schultz

6. 1166

1166 Member

7. 1166

1166 Member

Thanks for looking. Ok now I owe you people an explinaton, I got this barrel given to me after the previus owner had cut the lower barrel off? a k80 32" o\u. It origionaly shot about 50-50, I shoot 120% high & every time I raised it up the better I shot it so as Bob Shultz said I had nothing to loose it was vertuley usless to me before. It ink balls targets now. Just wanted to share a chuckle with my TS friends

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Looks slick to me, but are you sure you used a big-enough chain?

Neil

9. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Are there any factory guns designed to shoot 120% high?? Do alot of All-Americans shoot guns that pattern close to 100% high? What happens when its windy...how does that "Kentucky Windage" get figured out on the line? Seems that if you need to bend a barrel to shoot 3 feet high at 30 yds, it might make sense to start leading the target a little :)

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

Mx, there are a few guns out there that some of the accomplished trapshooters are using with great success, the k-80 special pro rib, the new Blaser, the C G guns.Really 120% is not that high, only about 18 inches, a lot of accomplished shooters are 140 to, 160% and higher, and for the older guns, thank you Tom Wilkinson! incinerate em!

11. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bigben...so at 160% the gun is shooting only 2 feet high. I see what you mean. Why stop there? Heck at 200% I can actually aim and fire right at the top of the trap house and hit targets! You guys are onto something!

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

mx2k33, you need to understand this high (in your terms) POI.

First for alot of us it is the way time has taught us that we need to have such inorder to execute the shot properly when the end of the barrel comes up to the target. For me and several of the better shooters I know, there is no daylight between two. Also understand in respect to your acknowledgement of circumstances, many are trying to use the high POI via not understanding the method and having problems! If the POI your using is correct, target conditions and presentation should not matter....

13. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Thanks backwoods, you make a good point. I shoot a 60/40 pattern now because I found that with my shooting style, I could not compensate for flatter trajectory targets (usually hard rights and lefts). When I followed the line of the target and allowed for the crossing angle, I shot way over the top of the targets. I thought that when shooting relatively fast (my style) a higher POI (80/20)would help but it actually was worse. I dialed back the gun to 60/40 and allowed my "instinct" to get it right when conditions got windy etc. Is there a particular shooting style that lends itself well to 120% ++ POI vs. POA? Seems like very little to no vertical gun movement and "spot shooting" would be the way to go.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

EXPERT BARREL BENDING

Now that's Presidential Engineering with a twist, er bend! :) Hap

15. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Old Smoker, mystical is the word I use to describe method. Wouldn't want to hurt any feelings so secret is safe.

16. JFC

JFC TS Member

seen this thing in action yesterday.... it uppercuts the targets!!

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

when you have a barrel that doesn't shoot where you look, you might as hang the gun on a wall. i had a tool made for raising & lowering barrels. the solid steel tube is a snug fit inside the barrel around 4 inches long, with a 12 inch handle. place the barrel in a good vice. if you want to raise the poi, i lift up on the handle, each lift raises the poi roughly 3 inches. all i want is the choke area to bend, not most of the barrel. most people can't tell that the barrel has been bent with this method. if you want to lower the poi, all you do is take the handle and bend it down. i use to whack barrels and the ribs would come lose or come off. with this method, most of the time the rib doesn't even wrinkle. if you take a peeps sight after the bend you will see the change in the choke area only.
    steve balistreri

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My highly recommended barrel bender....

I think Neil W. recommended him years ago...

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

mongo likes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bending a barrel to make it shoot lower