1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experince with Rex 0 and/or 1 in 7/8oz loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I am fixing to order some Rex. Don't want to discuss about the dirtiness, etc. I'm willing to accept it for the price. My question is whether to go with 0 or1? I want to load 7/8 oz loads at approx. 1200-1225 fps. From looking at the data, it looks like either will work. Have any of you tried both for 7/8s? Or should I just order 1/2 an order of each?

2. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I use REX and also sell it. I would go with REX 1 due to the fact, If you ever want to load 1 ounce or 1 1/8 you can do it.

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I agree, go with REX I as it would give you more versatility. I use it with Gun Club hulls/Win AA 17grs. - WJII wad - F616 primer for 1220 fps. Smokes them at 16yds. BRGII

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

BRGII, are you loading 7/8 oz in the WJII? Does it work ok? Is that load going off ok in cold weather?

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Yes, I have had no problem with Ignition. Of course our weather doesn't get less than 20 degrees or so. I usually use a RIO primer if its real cold. They are a hotter primer. BRGII

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used REX I for a long time, in 7/8 ounce Bunker loads, with 21 gr. One ouncers get 19.5 gr, and 1 1/8 oz gets 18 gr. The last load is VERY clean. The Bunker load with 7/8 oz does not leave enough fouling to mention.

Keep pressures around 9000 PSI and this stuff is really nice. Soft shooting, and at higher pressures is sure fire.

REX I is extremely versatile. I consider Solo 1000 my go to powder, but I always keep a keg of REX I around. It is THAT good!

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

rex is less expensive up front, but my research shows anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 grains per load is required compared to red dot so i think the cost in the long run is equal.

bill

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I use I in 15/16 oz. loads, estate hull, Rio primer and xxl wad. If you make sure crimp is deep and use 17.5 grains Rex 1, you'll love ya load. Bruce

9. Shooting Coach

I don't know where the idea that one must use from 2 to 4 more grains or REX I over Red Dot came from.

After a litle research for verification of a failing memory, I have verified that Red Dot and REX I are indeed very close in charge weights. Being rather obsessive, I have matched loading components in Win hulls, wads, primers for the following. As always, look up loading data for yourself.

7/8 oz 1300 fps In my Bunker load, I use 21 gr of either
    RED DOT 18.5 gr REX I 18.6 gr in a Cheddite hull

1 oz 1200 fps In my 1 oz load, I use 19.5 gr of either
    RED DOT 18 gr REX I 17.4 gr in a cheddite hull

1 1/8 oz 1200 fps In my 1 1/8oz load, I use 18 gr of either
    RED DOT 18 gr REX I 18.5 gr in a Remington Gun Club hull

The above loads were compared using WINCHESTER AA hulls and Winnie components. I will say that my 24 and 28 gr loads are shot in Cheddite hulls, or UEE. My 1 1/8 oz loads are shot in Remmy hulls.

I am not suggesting any loads. I have used Red Dot for many decades. I like it, but in a perfect world, I load Solo 1000 in 24's and 28's, and use REX I in 32 gram loads. I will gladly use either powder mentioned for any load I use.

Connies' Components has a KILLER deal on two kegs of Red Dot, shipped. This may cause a lot of folks to go back to Old Faithful. More 100 straights have been shot with Red Dot than all other powders combined!!!

Red Dot has been out for 88 years, and a successful target powder is going to emulate its burn speed, weight and bulk.

10. Shooting Coach

Bruce has a killer load for 16's and dubs. I have loaded 26 grams, but have misplaced that particular shot bar. My Bunker load is 25 grams. I got "happy" with a rat tailed file on my light 7/8 oz bar!

A deep crimp does good things to your load!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.