1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences with Spears Release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Last week, after 51 years of clay target shooting, I shot a round of skeet with a release trigger.

Although I recently used Sports Hypnosis to eliminate a flinching problem, I have long held that the release is a more natural way to shoot clay targets. Instead of a crutch, which many folks use it for, I feel it is an advantage.

After shooting a dear friend's Browning O/U with a Spears release, I am more convinced than ever that the release is a worthwhile investment in a dedicated clay target gun.

I am sorely tempted to go to the dark side. I have shot most release systems, including Krieghoff, Kolar, Schwab, among others. The Spears felt better than any of the others I have tried. The Krieghoff was nearly as responsive.

It seemed to me I had an increased awareness of the gun, the target, lead, and follow through. It seemed to be easier to stay in the gun. Being convinced I was taking advantage of a superior trigger system gave me the mental edge we all need on the field.

How about some of you folks who shoot the release relating their experience with sidearms, field guns, and other pull trigger guns?

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I shoot Spears release triggers all the time at sporting clays, skeet, and trap. Have done so for almost 5 years now.

Personally, I don't think it makes me any more aware of the target or gives me any special advantage. I just think it allows me to compete. Without a good release trigger, I'd have to play golf all the time....... instead of just 2 or 3 days per week.

Easystreet

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Sir,

I returned to shooting in 2001 and managed to flinch my way to using a release trigger.

My first release trigger was for an AL-391 and it was created by Allen Timney. This trigger intoduced to the term "pulling through". He got it fixed but it resulted in me getting my factory pull trigger converted to release by Spears.

Broke my 1st 100 with a 30" AL-391 at the NC HOF in 2003 and the Spears coversion worked like a champ.

Then I convinced myself I needed another gun and purchased a KX-5 with a "factory" release trigger. If there is anything such as "lock time" the KX-5 was much better for sure.

Then I had the fortune of purchasing a used 32" Browning Special Trap O/U with a Kimmerly double release trigger. It was a great trigger and this gun helped me get to A/AA class and scores of 98's and 97's before I convinced myself I needed a combo.

I found a used 34/32 Kolar Combo with release triggers and I have not looked back.

PS - I broke 80x200 registered at the Buckhorn GC near Mebane NC. It was a month later when I was introduced to the release trigger by Cliff Dowdy.

FRedmon

4. tj303

tj303 Member

Spears did an excellent double release on a Browning superposed. I shoot double release on trap, skeet, and sporting. I use a release because I have to. If I didn't flinch I wouldn't use one. TJ

5. Ride Easy

Ride Easy TS Member

FRedmon,

I read and re-read the fifth paragraph of your response. Could not believe my eyes. I believe you are the first person on this site to ever say anything good about a Kimmerly release. I had one of his triggers that literally fell apart and I have read many nightmare stories on here about the problems people went through.

So, congratulations. Maybe they are finally getting them right.

Ride Easy

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Instead of a crutch, which many folks use it for, I feel it is an advantage."

Really stupid statement.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke.....

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ride Easy - I was actually going to comment about how Kimmerly got a bad rap about his triggers.

I broke 95 - 97 - 97 at the 2005 Southern Zone in doubles with that gun. 45/50 - 47/50 - 47/50 and then had to shoot against Mark Isner from West VA.

I hate I sold that gun:-(

FRedmon

9. Shooting Coach

Dear Jbrooks

Instead of an insult, how about a candid and honest opinion, or why say anything?

Anything constructive to say?

10. Shooting Coach

Dear MIA

I don't sweat the small stuff. I am not trying to start a whizzing contest (sorry, Whiz)

I wanted some candid opinions about folks who use both the release and the pull, and to see if there is a long term advantage for a non flincher to consider using one.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Alot of people think the Spears Release trigger is the very best for the Model-12 Winchester . I,v had seven or eight Spears triggers over the years and never a bad one . But I have found that no after market release trigger is as good as a factory trigger . Spears makes a good trigger but not close to a ALfermann-Silver Seitz -Kolar or even LJutic Release . The ease of set and hold is just not as good .

ALF

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

shooting coach, since Iam from the land of Spears I have seen alot of them. Spears has a very good release and many many of my friends use one. You can't go wrong in using one... If something uncommon happens with one of theirs, blame shootlow on here as evidently he put a gremlin in it....

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

shooting coach, since Iam from the land of Spears I have seen alot of them. Spears has a very good release and many many of my friends use one. You can't go wrong in using one... If something uncommon happens with one of theirs, blame shootlow on here as evidently he put a gremlin in it....

14. Shooting Coach

Thanks for the advice. Have a Great New Years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
spear release trigger
spears release trigger

spears release trigger information

spears release triggers

spears triggers

speer triggers