1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience With Wireless Voice Calls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ontario Chris, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Looking for feedback on your experience with wireless voice calls. Which brand is the best? How often must the batteries be changed? Do very cold temperatures (below 10 degrees) affect battery life?

2. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

At are club we have 4 traps with the canterbury wireless and have had real good luck with them.The batteries will generaly make it the whole season

3. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Canterbury's-good luck. Outers suck. It seems you've gotta almost yell to get birds on a consistent basis with them.

Battery life is not an issue at any time. You've just gotta make sure they are turned off when you put them away each day.

Tim

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

We use Outers at our club, With no issues. We did move the antenna to the 16 yd line for better reception. Turn off batterys before putting away.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

CVR's have an automatic power shutoff after 5 minutes of inactivity so you don't have to worry about shutting the system down for the day. CVR's require 24 AA batterys per field and they should last about 200 hours of use according to CVR. Extreme cold & extreme heat will drain batterys quickly so be advised.

Energizer alkalines are the CVR choice but my experiece maintaining 4 sets of CVR wireless at my club is that just about any brand of alkalines will do the job. We buy the house brand at any of the club stores for about $10 for a 48 pack and I change them all out every 6 months just to be safe. Cheap peace of mind insurance for $40 a year.

On a side note, getting the batterys out of a CVR unit is not for the impatient, you'll need a small flat blade screwdriver to forceably pry them out.

Eric

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Eric that is not true with the Cantebury voice release. you physically still have to shut them off they go in to sleep mode but they still consume batteries. we had the wired mics and thought it would be best to go wireless we regret this decision and have consider going back to Wired. another thing look at what they use at the Grand.

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Our club has been using On Time Wireless voice release for 6 yrs. and have had good service with them.It's just when we have an ATA shoot when you have to have perfect target release every time you can't always depend on the batteries being good.

We have just ordered CVR wired units, I know all the wires are a pain in the A%$ but we will never have to worry about ...are the batteries good....

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

himark,

Sorry but according to the CVR instruction manual, after 5 minutes of being disconnected from the main transceiver the entire set of 5 microphones & the scorers hand control unit shut off. Manual shut off is never mentioned as being required.

Eric

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

We have two fields and one has a wireless CVR and the other has a wired CVR. We store them in the clubhouse when not in use and both work very well. We turn the wired ones off and change the batteries before our first winter interclub and have never had a problem. The wireless set get, by far the most use. Bill Malcolm

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The club I help-out has 2 sets of wireless CVRs & the master does shut off in about 5 mins but the individual mics must be manually shut off, maybe the later models have the auto shut-off feature these are about 10--12 years old. Ross

11. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Our club has two sets of CVR's. Seems like we are always changing batteries. Based on what everyone is saying we may have a problem. They are the only way to go. The only other type I like are the E-Rad systems. They would be good for registered shoots but for practice, I think the the mic cards would walk off.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The way to stop erads from walking is all shooters have to give the person who hands out the erds their car keys. I know one club that uses this method.
    Erads are the best,period.

Phil Berkowitz

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Ross,

You are correct. The first wireless CVRs did not have auto shut off for the microphone transceiver units.

I also stand corrected in that there is minimal battery drain even when the system is not operating. The only way to insure that the CVR system is fully off is to remove the batterys especially for long term storage to prevent battery leakage from damaging the units.

Eric

14. dshot

dshot Member

E-Rads only issue, people walking off with the clip on, also have used Canterberry with no issue battiers last well over a year, they use 4 double AA batteries

15. JEB

JEB Active Member

My club has wireless units - CVR - for 4 fields. They are the only way to go. There are far, far fewer problems than with wires, and so much easier for handicap. Yes the batteries must be changed from time to time, months rather than weeks. This is no big deal just do it as routine maintenance. The main thing is to set the receivers up correctly, at the same height as the speakers and protected in case someone shoots the back of the house. New shooters can get confused and start pushing buttons on and off. A little pre instruction here is helpful.

JEB

16. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

As the squad ends and the last shot is fired.

Lost or dead and out.

Call out the scores.

Politely say - ERADS please....

Real simple...

FRedmon

17. GJB02

GJB02 Member

We have used the Canterbury Wireless for a little over two years. They have been through two New England winters with no problems even though they are stored in an unheated building. Battery replacement has been infrequent. I would recommend them to anyone.

GJB

18. wayno

wayno TS Member

at our club, one must purchase his own erad. this eliminates the "walking erad", just as the erads eliminate the "slow pull"...

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I travel all over The US and Canada shooting and I can't think of a major fasility that doesn't use CVR wired.

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Mixer,

This is how the CVR wireless units work:

"If the system has been inactive for 2 minutes, the Trap receiver will disable voice release and the ‘PWR ON’ light turned off. In order to restore voice release, press ‘ON/OFF’ again.

After ten minutes of inactivity the microphone and referee’s transceiver power down. In order to restore the system to normal operation you will need to switch each microphone transceiver on, and then switch the referee’s transceiver on."

Chris,

Would I recommend them? Yes, I would.

Do they work well in the winter? Yes, they do.

Who would I buy them from? Bob Schultz Target Shotguns (a sponsor here) from Hendersonville, NC.

Why? They have the most amazing technical support you could ever hope for, which I think is priceless.

PM me for more info if you like and good luck with yor decision.

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.