1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with training collars for two dogs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benniesdad, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Trying to find out if anyone has any firsthand experience with a couple of different models of dog field training collar sets for multiple dogs I am considering. Will be using it for two dogs, an English Springer and a Boykin Spaniel. The two sets I am considering are:

SportDOG FieldTrainer SD-400S

Tri-tronics G3 Sport Basic 2-dog

I am interested both in any experience you have with how well they have held up as well as the ability to control two dogs simultaneously with these particular sets.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dad, be very careful in using ecollars on your bird dogs! A lot of good potential birddogs have been ruined by the misuse of Edison at a distance! You have two dogs with probably very different tolerance levels? I know the Springer is a fireplug but nothing at all about the Boykin.

No ecollar takes the place of prior obedience training with voice or whistle commands and thats a must before hooking up any dog in order to punish him for mistakes! Read all you can and learn how to properly use one to re-reinforce your verbal or whistle commands and use it to (remind) the dog he's to obey your commands with a warning first! They are great tools but must be used properly, after basic training your buddies!

Hap

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Aside from what Hap mentioned (which is all true), I've heard of some short term issues with the sport dog collars. I have a Tri-tronics dual system that is 5 years old, and have been very happy with it. Before that, I used a DT Systems dual unit that lasted about 4 years.

Get one with a "vibration mode". You can use that as a warning before punishing them regardless if you can acually see them or not.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have a sportdog 1825 which is two dog capable. I have had it for over a year and so far it has survived a lot of wet work up here in Alaska. I don't have two dogs but I use it on both channels because I can set it up differently for different training situations. I like the fact that it has a warning beep and a vibration mode along with 24 different levels of stimulation.

5. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Hap and others - thanks so much for the quick info. Guess I was not real clear in what I am asking about controlling two dogs.

As Hap mentions, our two dogs are much different and at different levels. The Springer is six years old and a great dog that only needs a little correction. The Boykin is a young bundle of energy who is a fast learner of both good and bad habits. The Boykin is the one that needs it. I figure that since I am getting one I might as well get one that I can use for both.

I really need the ability to handle the two dogs very differently. The ability to set things up differently and control the two dogs back and forth is what I am having a hard time discerning from the literature I have read of the various systems.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Electronic Collars should only be used on Hunting Cats!

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My best friend had young Boykin that was a terror. I'd put them both on the Boykin.

8. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

I use a dogtra 2 collar set up. One remote controls both collars
    Use the beeper function mainly on my English pointer
    These are in my opinion the best most reliable hunting collars for the money
    This is their web site. http://www.dogtra.com/
    Hope this helps
    Good hunting

Gary G Peterson

9. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

Hope this helps
    Good hunting

Gary G Peterson

10. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

Hope this helps
    Good hunting

Gary G Peterson

11. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I've also had issues with the sport dog collars. Mine seemed to work very sporadically even when fully charged. I now have DT collars and they've worked well so far but I only have about a year's worth of use in them so I have no idea how long they'll last.

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I am strictly an amateur trainer, I wish to add one thing to Hap's
    excellent advice. I was training a Llewellyn pup (very easy training dog),
    I did not want to make the e-collar punishment, but a replacement for my
    chech cord. First thing I set the collar low and held on inside of my wrist,
    when I could just feel (level way before it was unpleasant) I put on my pup.
    I would then turn up slightly until he would notice, but well below pain.
    I came accross an article by George Hickox, he recommended to start in the
    yard with a going away command, such as kennel. When the dog enters his
    kennel you stop stimulation. George wants the dog to now he can turn off
    by doing the right thing. George also does not want the collar to immediately
    come running to the trainer, but just do what is asked. This worked so well
    my pup wanted the collar on as he later learned it meant either yard work or
    later hunting. I feel George Hickox methods made training very simple.

Good luck with both dogs, Gary Owen

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dad, my best buddy has 6 bird dogs of various flavors, all good bird dogs too! I have no idea how many ecollars he's bought and used over the years and he knows dogs and ecollars and how to use them PROPERLY too!! He's sold a ton of them to others and still has a bunch for his dogs! I'll give him a call and have him weigh in on your post in a bit, it's that important for the sake of your dogs!

Hap

14. DONNE

DONNE Member

Before the collar is ever used on a dog , the dog should be "conditioned" to it. I'm not going to get into the whole process , because it takes some time and patience with the dog and you. There are some good videos out there. I'd suggest starting there. A pro. trainer who I have a lot of respect for says that an e-collar is both the best and worst training tool ever devised.

That being said , I have 2 Tri-Tronics Pro 100 G3s with 6 recievers for our dogs (pointers). They have 6 levels of continuous and 18 levels of momentary "STIMULATION" , plus a tone button. I'd suggest these to anyone. If you're serious , spend the money up front. You won't regret it. They hold their value too. I say "stimulation" because if used correctly , and the dog is conditioned , you can barely feel anything. I just want to slap the A-holes that brag about "frying" their dogs and put the collar aroud their necks.
    Good Luck , properly trained bird dogs are a pleasure to watch ...............

15. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Stick with the G3. I have had three Tri tronics since the 70's a 70 model,LS 500, and LR500, and they all still work. I am currently in a G2 500 with three collars. I train both pointing and labs and big T is the only one to hold up to the labs and keep on ticking,pointers are easy on the collars. You will like the field mateing feature if you ever loose either the transmitter or reciever. If you have not used a collar before, you do not train with it, you train then use the collar to reenforce what you have trained.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Agree with the tri tronics G3 but I wouldnt get the sport I would get the upland and then just add an additional receiver if you are going to work both dogs at one time

The upland allows you to turn a beeper colar on and off from the transmitter

Tri Tronics has made a major leap ahead of the competition with the G3--- if it doesnt have a particular feature- you dont want that feature- example is vibration-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I'm not sure of the exact question, but transmitter can be switched between receivers, but the transmitter settings stay the same. If you want to apply different levels of stimulation, you'll have to manually change them. This applies to the G3. I don't know about the others.

18. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I use a dogtra 2 collar set up also. I have 2 sets. I use mainly the pager function for my 2 Brittanies. They respond to it instantly. Dan Bonillas uses the same setup with his dogs. The Dogtra product is very reliable. We get replacement batteries for both the collars and transmitters at Batteries Plus here in Fresno.

Vince McNamara

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

OH man this is really making me nervous.....people talkin bout puttin a collar on ol two dogs....

20. esetter

esetter Active Member

Buy the Dogtra 2500 T&B (I believe that is the model number). That has a beeper collar and e-collar all in one unit with no top speaker. I've been using Dogra in the grouse woods for about 6 years now and never had a problem of any kind. All of my friends have switched to them and love them as well. I've used several othr brands including the ones you have mentioned and like Dogtra much better. They make a two dog unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.