1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Simvastatin

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm going back to my cardiologist. Simvastatin made me feel like a 98 pound weekling. We'll see what he has to say.

Your experience?

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have been using Simvastatin for years as prescribed by my doctor, with absolutely no problems. Works just fine for me. That said, there are many (including my sister) who cannot use/tolerate statins. These folk have a variety of side effects, including muscle weakness like you experienced. Talk to your doctor about some of the newer anti-cholesterol drugs that do not contain statins.

Jim R

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Ah, it's the statins. Thanks.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

joe:

Simvastatin is the generic form of Zocor. My drug plan made it financially advantageous to try a generic statin. I didn't have trouble tolerating it but it didn't work particularly well.

Have you tried CoQ10 as a supplement with your statins?

sissy

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Joe, sorry to say that statins have almost ruined my quality of life. I just feel awful most of the time. Of course, the alternative is not a nice picture either. I would avoid all statins if possible. Talk to your doctor, and see if there is some kind of an alternative for you. There was none for me. I have found out there are a lot, and I mean a lot of people that feel the same way I do after taking statins for a period of time. Do some research, and don't make this decision without some careful thought. I hope you do well.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Lescol and Lipotor nearly ruined me .. so my cardiologist put me on Zetia ... not nearly as bad reactions, but still some. Finally he said let's try the old standby ... Niacin!

2 500 mg in the am and 2 more at nite. Works good and the best part is that it costs only about $10/month.

One word of caution ... it takes a while to get used to them. They cause you to "flush" ... muck like a woman's "hot flash" when going through menopause. Eventually, your body gets used to them and you don't notice the flush.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doc just doubled my Simvastatin dose......I take a 1000 unit Vitamin D every morning and some vigor came back....We'll see what happens next checkup.

The Niacin sounds intriguing.

HM

8. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Fish oil and flax seed oil works great, and exercise..

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, statins have differing effects on different people and different statins often have differing effects on different people.

I had an very mild MI (I was lucky) and have been on Lipator. A friend of mine couldn't tolerate it (terrible muscle pains) but is fine with Crestor. Who knows.

I exercise my buns off and have my HDLs (the good one) up to 47-48. We have my LDLs under 70 at last check which is fantastic. I was not able to achieve these numbers without the statins, but I also tolerate them well.

I personally would be loath to give up on the statins altogether if I had a cardiac condition before trying others in that drug family to see if I tolerated one better.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Jpr , maybe you are a 98 lb weakling .LOL. Kidding aside , I am on Simvistatin now and after taking just about evey other drug to lower my cholesterol, this one works the best andsince it was one of the first statin developed , now it is the cheapest . All the rest gave me mucsle pains . This along with Niacin morning and night plus a multi vitamin suppliment hads my level where my Doctor feels is acceptible . I tried Niaspan and that made the flushing worse so I doubled up on the Niacin with my doctors approval . Let him make these decissions of what is best for you .

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Talk to your doctor about a product with a trade name of Welchol (colesevelam HCI). After my first heart attack I was given statins beginning in 1997 and because of the requirements of my insurance plan before I could switch from statins I ended up taking Lipator,Prevachol, Zocor and one other generic version with the same results. At first tolerance and then within 3 months weakness, severe cramps in major muscle groups mostly the ABS and calf's to the point where I could not walk over about 200 yards without stopping for the cramps and weakness to fade. My doctor finally switched me to the Welchol which is not a statin and works in the intestinal tract to draw off excess cholesterol instead of preventing it's manufacture as statins do. My cholesterol is now regulated (146) and I live free of the constant cramps and weakness.

--- Chip King ---

12. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I to had problems they lowered my dose and now I take two fish oil pills twice daily my readings werent that good when I was 20 which was a long time ago !!

13. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

Joe,

All good comments. If you are looking to reduce cholesterol would recommend you read "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. M.D.

I have tried all the statins and all of them cause me muscle pain. What you will find is that cardiologists will suggest statins to reduce inflammation as well as reduce cholesterol. The inflammation is the thing that causes the cholesterol to clump up and create a blockage. Esselstyn goes after inflammation.

You should also have your cardiologist do a subfractionation of your LDL which will tell you if the cholesterol you have is the better "fluffy" kind or the nasty granular kind that increases risk of blockage.

I had a couple stents put in May of 2009 and got dead serious about cholesterol. With statins and diet I got my total cholesterol down to 104. I have moderated and have it at about 140 with a less restrictive diet and 5mg of Crestor every other nite. I take 100 mg of Qunol Ultra Coq10 (It is a more readily absorbable form of Coq10 supposedly, you may find information about Ubiquinol which is similar) every day, 200 mg on the days I take my Crestor and Turmeric (herbal anti-inflamatory) every day.

If you want to discuss it drop me a private message and I give you a call.

Hope this is all a discussion about prevention and you are not having any symptoms.

Take Care,

Vic

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have taken Zocor (20 mg) for years along with 100 mg of CoQ10. My total cholesterol is under 150.

At first, I took Zocor only and, after a while, developed some pain in my kneecaps and elbows and generally felt tired. I asked my doctor if this was normal and he suggested the CoQ10.

The CoQ10 made a major improvement in a couple of weeks in how I feel as it eliminated joint pain and it seems to increase my energy level.

A low carb diet also helps me hold my cholesterol in check.

Ed Ward

15. archangel

archangel Member

Joe haven't seen you at the club for a while, how's the stock coming. simvastin is what i take when i remember too. i too developed pain in both shoulders but did not know if it was caused by tne medication,or the way I was sleeping, so I stopped taking it for a while, I am on a very low dose, the side effect of the muscle pain is rare but it is a worry because i was told it can be the muscles breaking down, any way I will start it regularly again next week and see what happens. it did lower my cholesterol, and i was also told to take fish oil too. -mike

16. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

school teacher hit the nail on the head - statins rob your body of CO-Q-10 (a co-enzyme) and zap your strength and give you muscle cramps and joint pain. If you're fooled by the "you're cholesterol is too high" scam and you take statins, by all means take CO-Q-10 supplements. More people die from low cholesterol than high cholesterol. Statins paralyze your (cholesterol producing) liver in order to lower cholesterol, however your liver performs over 500 jobs, and produces over 1,000 essential enzymes. Just a few of these functions are storing energy, making bile to help break down food, protecting us from the effects of pollution, stopping cuts from bleeding too long, killing germs, getting rid of toxic chemicals and helping to build muscle.
    The role of the liver is to keep the body's complex internal chemistry in balance. It takes raw nutrients from our digestive system (in the form of carbohydrates, protein, amino acids, etc) and processes them so they can be stored and sent to different parts of our body in the right form and quantity. The liver regulates the level of sugars in our blood and manufactures bile (which breaks down fats in our stomach). It also helps remove toxins, drugs and hormones from our bloodstream. This brief explanation does the liver little justice - it actually carries out over 1,500 complex biochemical functions. Perhaps it is because the liver is so important, that up to a certain point, like a lizard's tail, it can rejuvenate itself. SO WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO PARALYZE IT? Bears have cholesterol around 600. Ever heard of a bear having a heart attack or a stroke? Years ago if your cholesterol was 300 or below there was no concern. Then the drug companies (a.k.a. "Big Pharma") conducted their own "research" that concluded that you need to take their drugs to lower cholesterol to 250. They saw the dollar signs and their new studies reset the standard at 225, then 200, now some say 175 or 150. The goal is to have everybody on statins so they can make the most amount of money. Pharmaceutical companies are in the business to MAKE MONEY, not some noble "heal mankind" nonsense. You have the internet at your fingertips. Do the research for yourself.

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Been taking 40 mg at night for a year. Suggested by the VA. Cholesterol has dropped big time. No side effects.

18. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I am recovering from quadruple bypass because I didn't use my Zocor after having a light heart attack 7 years ago. Have learned my lesson, the Niacin, flushing type, should help. 1000mg a day and you do get used to the flushing, not a problem now. Work out every day or at least walk every day and watch your diet. I feel fine with little side affects from what I can tell. Be very careful with Niacin when you start, I made the mistake of drinking hot coffee right after my first heavy dose and I wound up in the emergency room. Burning up, nauseus, and disoriented.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My mother was told 30 years ago her cholesterol was too high and was handed a sheet with a special diet. She quickly deposited it in the trash can. Her 90th birthday will be next month. Besides being stone deaf she's as healthy as a horse!!

20. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Interesting Garmasters, read your post more closely and will do some research. My good is only 27 and the bad is 48, Doc says good should be at least 60 and that is why the Niacin. The only thing I can say about having high overall is all 4 arteries were blocked and the Docs said I would have been dead in a week if I had not gone to the emergency room. Man, I don't know what to believe anymore but I do feel better when walking and using the stairstepper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.