1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Seiko Watch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Am considering a Kinetic watch. Pros or cons? Should I just buy a $30 sports watch and be done with it?

Had a vintage Rolex and gave it to a friend who would wear it. Just thought about the Seiko.

2. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

Casio G-Shock

3. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have a SS Sieko I bought in the early 80s. I just keep throwing in batteries and the occasional expensive crystal. Keeps excellent time. Kinda scruffy looking now, but keeps working.

4. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have two Seikos. The first one I bought in Japan in 1970, the second is a divers watch I bought in Hong Kong in 1976. The first one is a self-winding stainless day/date model, and still keeps excellant time. I did blow it up one time playing volleyball, when I forgot to take it off, the ball hit the strap and popped the strap pin, and the watch exploded when it hit the floor. It had to go back to Japan for repair, as it wasn't an export model, and the warranty wasn't good in North America. The divers model is a quartz unit, which needs a new battery every 5 years or so. The tritium has worn off the bezel, and the tritium no longer glows brightly on the face, but it also keeps excellant time. I checked them both against the atomic time signal at least once a year, and they were both less than 2 seconds off over a month. I would recommend a Seiko to anyone, any time, for any purpose. This is a case of you get more than you pay for.

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Shooting Coach

Go to World of Watches. Great prices and very fast service. I got a Seiko from them last year and have been very happy with it.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/Seiko-WATCHES.asp?ndd=1&clr=4.3&bo_brand_id=2293&bo_store_id=1

Jim R

6. JRANDALL1

JRANDALL1 Member

I have always had excellant luck with Citizen watches. I have had them for many years. Batteries need replaced every 5-6 years or so.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have had a couple and they seem to be decent watches,but if I were to need another watch it would probably be a cheapo. I have been wearing one for over ten years now and it has had the battery replaced ONCE, keeps excellent time too.

8. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

A few years ago I had a friend who wanted to buy a Rolex. I asked him if he wanted a time peice or a status symbol. If you want to just have a reliable watch get a Citizen, Seiko or Casio. If you want to impress soneone buy the Rolex, yes they keep good time but are expensive to maintain and yes I've owned them all. JMHO.
    Bill

9. oz

oz Active Member

I had seikos before and they are very nice. I have a citizen's ecko (sp) for abut 10 years. never needs a battery, it is charged by light.

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I've worn a stainless steel Seiko Kinetic for the last twenty years. Built like a tank.

11. magic

magic Member

You give friends your old Rolexes? Can I be your friend?

Jason

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

who needs a watch today when your cell phone displays the time. I have a safe full that i dont use any longer. That being said a Seiko is a great watch but the best I ever bought was a Zodiac Gold Point auto

13. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A brother of mine has been wearing the same self-winding Seiko for close to fifty years.

No problems ever.

14. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I have a Seiko Kinetic Titanium that I have had for twenty years. Excellent and light weight.
    Had Seiko in New Jersey rebuild it this year for about $95.

Looks and runs like new.

(I also have the Rolex which I may wear a couple of times a year.)

Regards, and good shooting,

Dave

15. TF

TF Active Member

Seiko now makes solar warches simmilar to the citizen Eco-drive. Have both and like the Seiko better. Just another possibility if you don't want to wind or replace the battery.

Tom Frazer

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

My watches...

Timex on my wrist now (and 99% of the time)

Citizens (the last present my Father ever gave me)

Rolex (my wife gave me on our first wedding anniversary)

Patek Philippe (which my Father wore for 50 years)

They all tell time.

Our house had over 200 antique Swiss and German clocks -- all running. To hear them all go off at midnight... scared the daylights out of many first time house guests.

My Father's most important lesson to his children. "The man who steals your money or gold is of no consequence. It can be replaced. The man who steals your time is the most evil being of all. For time can never be replaced."

17. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have worn Seiko watches for years. I bought the Seiko Solar last year and liked it so much I bought another. I bought the first one at a Seiko outlet mall and the second one off eBay. Both were new without the paper work. If you want one that is not a solar and uses batteries, I have a couple I bought before I found the solar. Ray

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have and wear a Seiko SS perpetual calender watch thats about 15 years old. I just had my second battery installed and a new SS band. At the time is was the only watch that was always correct on the day and date forever. I like never having to reset days, dates and months. Always absolutely correct time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.