1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience With Ranger XLW glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOM416, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOM416

TOM416 Member

I am going to purchase new shooting glasses since my prescription changed.
    I was looking at the Ranger XLW with the Rx insert.
    Does anyone use these and if so would you please post your opinions on them.
    I would like to use these for driving and shooting if that is feasible.
    Thanks for any feedback!
    Tom Hartman

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Being able to only have to get a rx insert instead of all the different lenses when your prescription changes is a plus for the xlw. What I did not like about them is the curvature of the glasses with the rx insert made your vision look rounded. They are also heavy with rx insert. I now shoot with the xl frame and love them. Good luck with your choice.

3. brantman

brantman TS Member

call morgan optical ask for wayne. he spent alot of time on the phone any my glasses turned out perfect (I have a heavy astigmatism in one eye)

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Problem for me is that the gizmo in the middle tended to block my vision to the sides. Also, the bayonet style cables made the glasses slide forward and down my nose.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I believe the XLW's work well with certain facial structures, not so well with others. I suspect if your skull is shaped such that your eyes are close to the lenses they work pretty well. The farther the lens is from your eyes (deep set eyes) the more you are bothered by seeing the lenses and the more you are looking through the edges or "corners" of the lenses when your face is on the stock. This is just my suspicion.

6. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Take a look at the Ranger Rx Sporter. Especially good for those with higher correction prescriptions.

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Another thing to possibly consider is refraction of sunlight between the RX insert and the actual lenses, depending upon the sunlight angle.
    I own a set of the XLW ; sans prescription. When I suggested an RX insert to Frank Rively, such refraction was his only warning to me. His advice prompted me to choose against the inserts for mine.
    I love the styling of the XLW, but my aging eyes cannot see without prescription lenses, anymore.

8. todman2

todman2 Member

I have them and it was the best choice I could make, affordable compaired to Pilla with inserts. You get use to the weight. I use them for all the shooting sports. Wayne at Morgan was my guy. I use to use Decot Internationals with contact lens but my eye doctor proved to me how much better I would see with glasses. Never had the reflection problems mentioned above. Again Wayne @ Morgan is the man to talk to.

9. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

I found the inserts need a little tweaking to get it just right to account for the wrap. Weight isnt much of an issue for me. As far as driving glasses, I would not recommend them for that. Shooting lens colors can alter the appearance of other colors (hence the benefit while shooting) of traffic signals and signs. Just my .02
    Wayne and crew helped me immensely with my purchase.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Wayne be the man! Morgan Optical is the best,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ranger xlw shooting glasses insert