1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with AA Traacker "Tracer" shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avatar, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Avatar

I received an order of Winchester AA Traacker shells a few days ago, and managed to shoot a round of trap, half with the black version, half with the orange. For those who do not know, the Traacker shell's shot cup/wad has unfolding vanes and retains 1/8 of the pellets, allowing it to stay with the shot string. It comes with black wads for bright light; orange wads for less light.

I think the Traacker shell works--sort of. The wad wasn't as visible as I would have liked but I could see it and it did show me on which side I missed the target when I missed--I missed a few times on purpose and one or two I didn't mean to miss :) The wad did seem to travel with (or right behind) the shot string, because when the targets broke the wad seemed always to be there on top of it. I preferred the black version to the orange, just for the better contrast with the orange clays.

For folks who average 24 of 25 the Traacker shell probably won't add much. But, I can see it being useful for others, especially beginners. I'll probably use up my remaining shells this weekend and order some more.

I would be interested in hearing what others think of the Traacker.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Experience with AA Traacker

Do you think the orange ones might work for sporting clay rabbits?

3. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I experienced much the same thing with the orange wads, they were difficult to see. We finally decided that the shooter has a great deal of difficulty seeing the wad and it works better to have someone stand behind the shooter and look for the wad. This was on an overcast day.

I have not shot the black wads.

Doc

4. Avatar

Yeah, it may just be my eyes or the contrast with orange pigeons, but I found the black wads easier to see than the orange wads. I'll have to try under different lighting conditions.

I don't do sporting clay rabbits so don't have a very good feel for how the Traackers would work for them. I suspect the Traacker probably works better up in the air where it and the clay are the only two objects for your eyes to follow. But, certainly worth trying.

5. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

I have tried both and found them useless. Whose bright idea was it to use orange for the wad? It is basically same color as the bird and I couldn't tell it a part from the bird. I agree that it is probably better to have someone else look for them. I have noticed I picked my head a couple of times trying to see the wad and missed easy targets.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I read a short article on these, and while it did not say "who's idea it was to use orange wads" it did mention that the orange wad was to be used in wooded/broken type background, while the black was supposed to be better for the blue/white skyline type of target. I still have not seen them in action, but it makes perfect sense to use a second person on all shots as the shooters vision is blocked while looking down a barrel. Red and green are used on alot hi=vis sight systems so they are not good colors to use, not many other colors to use that would stand out in the wood type backgrounds. break em all. Jeff

7. Avatar

I managed to shoot another round of Traackers this evening, right before sundown, mixed black and orange. In this dimmer lighting condition (compared to my first time), I really could not see the black or orange.

So far, my experience is:

Bright light: The black Traackers work to show position of shot string--not as visible as I would like but they do work. The orange are problematic, as there isn't enough contrast with the orange pigeon.

Low light near sundown: Neither black nor orange Traacker shells work, at least not for my eyes.

I still have a few boxes left, so will experiment more. I'll shoot more black in bright light, to see if I still think they work. And, I'll shot both at night, to see how they light up under artificial light. You know, Winchester should come out with a florescent or reflective version just for artificial light...just might work.

8. pdq

pdq Member

Where are people able to buy these?

I've been looking at various sites with zero available.

Pete

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Full pallet at Sparta Walmart. They are pricey at $93.50/ flat.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You may need someone to stand behind you and watch the wad..

11. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

After you guy's are done with the experimenting, I would like to buy the orange hulls.

George.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

These hulls seem stiffer than the normal hull.

13. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

The way I would use them is to give them to a new shooter who is struggling. They wont know the difference just tell them the hulls are a different color. watch closely without them knowing there is a difference and see what the results are.

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I believe if these are used as they were developed for and that is strictly as an AID in training they can be a good tool. For guys to think they can use them all the time and catch the occasional miss and know where they missed I do not think they are worth it.

15. hejumper

hejumper Member

I tried a half box of the black wads and stopped as it is clear that the shooter really can't see them, you need a "spotter".

I also went to the pattern board. At 36 yards the wad was always somewhere within the pattern.

Larry

16. Avatar

It will all depend on your eyes. I can't see the orange or black wads when the sun is low in sky, but with bright light I usually see the black. Not nearly as visible as hoped. I'd still like to know whether the wads show up better under artificial lights at night.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

MAH66, (Mike)

Exactly what he said above!!

HAP