1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with 49cc scooters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Aug 3, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Johnny says he wants a GoPed, but I'm not convinced that's what he really needs. He's 15 and will be driving next year. So I'm talking about a small enduro type motorcycle, but that doesn't get him burning gas for quite a while. What is your experience with these little gas powered scooters?

[​IMG]

Something like this looks a lot cooler and practical, but I'm sure it costs a lot more. John's budget is < $500 from lawn mowing jobs, so it'll surely be used whatever he gets.

[​IMG]

If you've got something to sell, send me a personal message.

Thanks,

Joe

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I repaired two of the GoPeds for my neighbor's kid - friction drive and two strokes that were very fuel sensitive (he tended to not mix the oil really well with the gas and kept burning rings/scoring cylinders).

My attitude is that I would never want my YOUNG son riding a motorbike on the street - when older (and wiser) that can be his choice, but at 15 what is his main focus (besides tree houses)??

I work in Italy often and there is something like 25,000 major injuries/deaths per year of teenagers on motorbikes.

Young, developing minds and two wheelers on the road with cars is just a recipe for disaster.

I'd look for an old Jeep or the like that the two of you can fix-up over the next year - until he hits 16.

Just my thoughts.

3. joe kuhn

Good advice. Thanks. At the moment he's into mowing lawns, skate boarding, xbox and bmx bikes and tv. A year will change a lot. Here's hoping the one he found is sold already.

Look at these things! Quite the range out there in Google Images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Joe,

If the Moped and Tree House don't succeed in bumping your kid off, have you considered getting him into Bull Riding?

Coz my neighbor has a bull to sell, just sayin'.

5. joe kuhn

Thanks a lot. We just got rid of my daughter's chickens so my livestock duty is over and now you want to sell us a bull. That's for the birds.

Don't get too close to the screen. They go for the eyes.

[​IMG]

It's history now.

[​IMG]

6. joe kuhn

We saw the guys on Duck Dynasty driving lawn mowers around town, but Johnny rejected that concept right away. Couldn't believe it when I saw a junker riding mower at the curb just today. Craftsman 10 HP, 5 speed. Too red-neck.

[​IMG]

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can't ride that little Gopad thingy on the street so since its gonna be off road, you may as well get something with balls.

Like my oldest(19) boys YZF250(middle bike) or my youngest(5) no name 72cc(in front) or my oldy but goody '74 DT360.

Come on Joe, If it ain't butt tight scary to ride, it ain't no fun.

[​IMG]

My all original(except tires) '74 DT360

[​IMG]

P.S. I would never buy my 5 year old a 70cc dirt bike. That's what his big brother did before he left for the Marine Corps.

8. joe kuhn

Darn nice. I had an Ossa 250 moto-crosser (Stiletto) years ago on the farm, but the farm is gone now too and so is the county gravel pit we rode at every Sunday. Here's a picture of one, mine didn't have the red stripe on the front fender.

[​IMG]

9. grntitan

Cool bike Joe. I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Not a real well known manufacture. You don't still have it do you?

Note I added a P.S. above to my previous post. Figured I better before the crazies jump my chit for some kinda child abuse or what not.

10. joe kuhn

That'd be about 1970 vintage and it's long gone.

Once I got the bright idea I could jump the drainage ditch with the thing and ended up in the bottom of the ditch with my feet up in the air and my thumbs still on the handle bars. Scraped the muscles on the front of my legs as I went over the bars. Was staring at mud 1 inch away when the motor stopped. I could not walk very well the next day. My dad couldn't stop laughing as I crawled up the steps from my basement bedroom to go to school. Thanks for the memories. That plow furrow just wasn't enough of a jump. Evel Knievel I was not.

[​IMG]

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The smaller the wheels/tires, the poorer the gyroscopic effect of them when they're spinning. You know, the force that helps you stay shiny side up/rubber side down when riding your bicycle. The scooter, minibike micro wheel size is an invitation to road rash. If he ends up with either, buy him some elbow pads and hope his Levis protect his knees. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

12. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Sweet pic of the DT-360, My cousin had one just like it.
    Brings back lots of memories of the sound of 2-strokes tearing around the small Iowa town that I grew up in.
    I had a 73' DT-250 that I rode the hell out of.

13. joe kuhn

That 360 number sticks in my head. Wasn't it a preferred bore size for motos?

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I had a 1972 DT250, which was a great bike, at least until the throttle stuck in midair on a narrow trail! 4' Douglas Firs don't give much, so I broke the triple clamps and had to get help carrying it out, one on the front end, and two of us on the rest of it. All the 360s I knew of had bottom end problems eventually, due to not building much heavier than the 250, maybe? I know they were a LOT squirrelier than my 250 ever was.

15. grntitan

The old 360 is a sweet bike but after you ride my boys newer four stroke YZF250, you realize just how heavy and under powered they were. I was raised on dirt bikes having a YZ80 at way too young of an age. Anyone who had those old YZ80's as a young kid know what I mean. Their size and power to weight ratio was crazy. I progressed up to YZ125's and later a few 250's but always YZ's and always 2 strokes. Those 2 strokes were just a ball. That said, these newer 4 stroke YZ's are insanely powered. More torque and raw power throughout the whole power band. I can't believe the difference.

Don't get me wrong, the 2 stroke 360 has no problem lugging my 185lbs faster and quicker than I need to be going. They were alright for their time but don't stand a chance against today's technology. I really don't run it off road much anymore. It's just in too nice of condition to worry about hit'n the ground. The old metal tank is in pristine condition with all its paint still perfect. I know one lay down and it's toast. I'm planning on putting some enduro tires back on it like would have come from the factory and delegating it to around town put't'n.

16. joe kuhn

Amazing how a little technology can improve things. When I watch the x games where they jump 37 feet in the air to go over a bar, the bikes practically right themselves on their own.

Bob F - This guy has attacked the wheel stability problem. Looks home brew.

[​IMG]

17. joe kuhn

Darn, already committed on a used GoPed for $175. There's 4 other boys that bike/skate together. Will keep it in mind.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It makes better sense to stay away from anything made in China, or by unknown Manufacturers.

There is a ton of those around here that don't work and will just go to the recycle yard.

I like the picture of that old open frame Cushman Airborne, these were made for the military in 1944 or so to be dropped by parachute. They were identical to the street model without the sheet metal cover, and lighter fenders. My neighbor Richard Schilling had one, and later got an Indian Brave. You don't see many of them either.

HM

19. joe kuhn

Cool stuff there HM.

If anybody needs a dirt bike on a moto-cross track, this kid does. Here he is with his new, used scooter.

[​IMG]

20. joe kuhn

Lots of problems with this used model; perfect for troubleshooting practice. We're really working together on it. I couldn't have asked for more. Life long learning here for John. He's a good kid. Just wants to have fun and is willing to work and pay for it. There's nothing like a trip to the hardware store, auto parts store and back to the garage for re-assembly. What I want to know is - who took my socket wrench and didn't put it back!

Search tags for this page

49cc lay down scooter

go ped scooter

go ped scooters

goped 49cc

what might be a more futuristic and cooler than a go-ped