1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Expensive Wood???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

What is the most money you know of that has been spent on a gun stock?? I know of 15K for 2 matching stocks and forends for a pair of Kolars.

2. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

JayZap, ROFLMAO

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I ran across the opportunity to obtain some rare woods 10 or 15 years ago. Figure some of the guns deserve a dress up. But I realize this is pure personal enjoyments, the investment is hardly recoverable.

This wood blank was $5,000.00 back then before it turn into this stock, another $2,500.00 for a matching piece to make the forearm. Labor was a little less than the wood. If it's a non-sideplate Perazzi, the labor would be less. Do you think someone will give me $12,000 more for the gun? :)

stevew_2008_0303121.jpg

stevew_2008_0303122.jpg

I didn't have digital camera back then, no pictures of the blank, sorry.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In 1970, a man walked into the Waukesha gun club on a Sunday morning. The place was packed as they were shooting the winter events. A group of shooters gathered around him as he opened up a blue velvet case that held the most beautiful Perazzi stock that I ever saw. He had it made up special, and at that time perazzi stocks were selling for roughly $150.00 to $200.00 new at most, for standard Perazzi stocks in my area of the country.

He said he paid $2,200.00 for this TM1 or mx8 stock, can't remember which type it was actually for, but the fellow shooters thought he was insane as we never heard of a piece of wood, as good as it looked, ever costing that amount of money before.

Than a fellow old time shooter walked up smoking his pipe. He loudly proclaimed that in 1939 he had a wheel barrel, and it's handle had better wood than this man's new stock. The owner of the new stock turned eight shades of red, as everyone laughed at what the old man said.

Now, I do not know what $2,200.00 is worth from 1970 to today, but in 1970 that was the most expensive stock I ever heard anyone pay.
    Steve Balistreri

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Before I forget, the man purchased the matching wood for the forend at the time he purchased the stock. At a later date he would have the same man make the forend. I do not know how much he paid for the matching wood for the forend.
    Steve

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I like pretty wood and don't mind paying for it. This blank is California English walnut; from a stockmaker's viewpoint there is no better wood to work with. I paid $1,000 for it and selected it from among 8 others at the same price.....

DSC_0003-3.jpg

The layout is near perfect, the side-to-side balance is near perfect, and it is 100% figured on both sides. Tastes differ, but I have a very hard tme imagining what a $500 upgrade would be, much less several thousand dollars.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mike, That is on gorgeous piece of wood, beautiful job.

8. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

There are wood guys and then there are engraving guys. I'll take the wood every time,no pun intended!

9. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

it gets to a point ,with anything, that you cant tell the difference.
    for me that would be the difference between xxx and exhibition grade walnut.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Looking at wood like that gives me eyegasms.

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Does the Fox have a thru bolt to attach the stock?

Very nice

12. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Mike, Nice wood. I think you got your moneys worth.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

That piece of wood for $1000.00 was a steal. Truly a piece of exhibition grade.
    I would like to find a couple like that for that money. Bill

14. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

STEVE W.
    YOU'RE KILLING ME Buddy !! You have got to have THE MOST BEUTIFUL Toys Ive ever saw. Stop teasing !! .....Chuck in Chicago

15. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Thanks guys. The Fox has no through bolt. The blank came from Cecil Fredi in Nevada 3-4 years ago. I set my price and and asked for CA English with feathercrotch radiating down and back from the nose. He sent me pics of 8-10 blanks that fit the description; I had a tough time picking one. I've spent that much 3 times over the years with similar results but I have to say this is the best I've ever owned. It's satisfying because it's the last of my high-dollar projects. Tough to break the habit completely, so I'm a bottom feeder now...:)

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check out this wood....For Rugers no less.

17. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Cecil is a real joy when it comes to fancy wood.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Both fabulous. Thank you for posting them.

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind words, I love beautiful wood.

And Mike, that's a beautiful Fox, my favorite American SxS, the petite receiver is just sexy. You got a good deal on the wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.