1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Executive Director

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikem, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikem

mikem TS Member

Why is the ATA looking for a new Executive Director? What happened to John Norris?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I received a semi-scandalous email regarding Mr. Norris' departure a month or so ago. Without going into details, could any of it be true? I don't plan to make the contents of that email public - I'm just curious.

Ed

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I thought John Norris was going to be the Tournament Director, has that all changed ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Woops!

5. Don S

Don S Member

John Norris name has been removed from the website and Trap & Field. What is going on?

6. Des'Pencer

Des'Pencer TS Member

I added italics to the copied text from the EC Oct & Dec minutes (below). Notice that an Executive Session held in secret on Oct 11 was then publicized in the Dec 7 minutes. However, the Secretary did not record the position the EC "offered ... on an at will basis, to John R. Norris" (which he "accepted" in Oct). Moreover, notice how the very next info in the Dec minutes is not what happened to that employment, but that there is a "current vacancy in the position of ATA Executive Director".

Nah, this can't be a cover up by the ATA -- maybe the minutes have the resignation/termination info elsewhere. Don't hold your breath though. Probably just an example of lack of honesty (in this case, disclosure) from the ATA. Maybe someone knows if such a lack of disclosurer is common (e.g., Profit/Loss statements, right WPT!).

Oh wait, perhaps we're supposed to guess that the "tardiness 1296 issue" in the Dec minutes explain the end of that at-will employment.

Of course, there wasn't a problem disclosing information in the minutes about the end of the Sparta employees' employment . . . but that is another thread.

HAPPY LINCOLN'S BIRTHDAY!

Pez

At 08:16 Hrs., IN RE: Executive Session 129

President D. Ray Greb called for an Executive Session with no objections noted from the members to discuss 130 staffing and payroll issues. 131

– 132

At 08:25 Hrs., IN RE: Regular Meeting Reconvened 133

October 11, 2006 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08:25 Hrs. 136

--------------------------

(December 07, 2006) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MEETING RESUMED AT 13:15 HRS. 336

All Executive Committee Members answered the Call at the resumption of the Meeting. 337

At 13:15 Hrs., IN RE: Secretary's Report 340

Subsequent to his call, bringing the meeting back to order, President D. Ray Greb requested that Secretary 341 G. Mike Seitz present the Secretary’s Report to the Executive Committee. Secretary Seitz, with the assistance of 342 Office Manager Connie J. Collier, reviewed the following Disciplinary/Suspension Actions, Correspondence and 343 other Administrative and/or Legal Issues to properly come before the Executive Committee: 344

•• Contract Expiration of [former] Executive Director John R. Norris 345

Subsequent to review of prior Minute Records of various Executive Sessions of the Executive Committee and 346 following extensive discussions, it was the unanimous 347 consensus of the voting Members of the Executive Committee that John R. Norris, was not and 348 shall not be offered a renewal contract as Executive Director of the Amateur Trapshooting 349 Association (ATA) nor the Amateur Trapshooting Association of America (ATAA). This 350 consensus opinion of the Executive Committee is in accord with the <i>October 2006 Executive 351 Session Minute Records during which the Executive Committee by unanimous consensus 352 offered employment terms, on an at will basis, to John R. Norris and these terms and 353 conditions were accepted by Mr. Norris, in their entirety, as his free and volitional act. 354

•• Exigent Omnibus Resolution / By-Law Provision Pertaining to Executive Director 356

Secretary G. Mike Seitz advised the Executive Committee that due to the current vacancy in the position of 357 ATA Executive Director</i> that it is necessary, expedient and/or advisable that an Exigent Omnibus Resolution be 358 considered, discussed and adopted so that the normal business functions, practices and office routine can be 359 effectively processed and completed. “Further, there are specific ATA By-Law and Official Rules provisions that need 360 to be adhered to, and complied with, in order to prevent provisional conflicts therewith,” advised Secretary Seitz.

7. lisalong

lisalong Member

Many personnel issues are confidential and not for public notification. We should respect that for both sides involved. If you lost your job, would YOU want the reason broadcast on the internet. That's why there are HR consultants. To help employers to adher to the laws around confidentiality.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA is and always has been a Membership Organization and being as such the members are entitled to a certain degree of information, especially if it has a direct or indirect impact on them as members of said organization ... The Financial interest of the ATA as a membership organization is supposed to be available upon request from any life member and I believe any annual member can and should be entitled to same upon request ... I have made several requests via E Mails to have a copy of the P/L's mailed to me and even offered to pay for same to no avail ... I did get a copy from Neil Winston a couple of years ago and mailed him a check for the postage etc and in all honesty I think I did get the check back but would have to look in my records to make sure ... I sure would like to know what the hell is going on but obviously that is none of the memberships business ... Business as usual at the ATA/EC and thats a total lack of communication with and to the very people they are supposed to represent ... WPT ... (YAC) ....

9. Des'Pencer

Des'Pencer TS Member

The above link is to the other thread. Perhaps the "fellow shooter" will describe how that ATA information released about those Sparta employees is confidential.

Also, maybe someone has the URL to the Nov 15 "Changes at the ATA Vandalia Office" non-confidential news release (see copied text below). It looks like the ATA removed the link that had been at the home page.

HAPPY LUV FEST FRIDAY!

Pez

Effective December 1, 2006, John Norris has requested a transfer from serving as ATA Executive Director to a new position as Tournament Director, including the assumption of certain duties pertaining to the ATA’s computer operations ... John Norris has been with the ATA for more than twenty years and has previously held the position of Grand American Tournament Director. His functions will include managing all ATA tournaments at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex, including the Grand American and U.S. Open, while assisting with the day-to-day ATA functions such as computer operations, overseeing Satellite Grand American details and continuing many of his current
    daily functions. ... John’s vast knowledge, especially with directing tournaments, will remain an integral part of the ATA as we host events at the WSRC which includes an even longer 2007 Grand American.

10. mikem

mikem TS Member

Why is the ATA looking for a new Executive Director? What happened to John Norris?

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I received a semi-scandalous email regarding Mr. Norris' departure a month or so ago. Without going into details, could any of it be true? I don't plan to make the contents of that email public - I'm just curious.

Ed

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I thought John Norris was going to be the Tournament Director, has that all changed ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Woops!

14. Don S

Don S Member

John Norris name has been removed from the website and Trap & Field. What is going on?

15. Des'Pencer

Des'Pencer TS Member

I added italics to the copied text from the EC Oct & Dec minutes (below). Notice that an Executive Session held in secret on Oct 11 was then publicized in the Dec 7 minutes. However, the Secretary did not record the position the EC "offered ... on an at will basis, to John R. Norris" (which he "accepted" in Oct). Moreover, notice how the very next info in the Dec minutes is not what happened to that employment, but that there is a "current vacancy in the position of ATA Executive Director".

Nah, this can't be a cover up by the ATA -- maybe the minutes have the resignation/termination info elsewhere. Don't hold your breath though. Probably just an example of lack of honesty (in this case, disclosure) from the ATA. Maybe someone knows if such a lack of disclosurer is common (e.g., Profit/Loss statements, right WPT!).

Oh wait, perhaps we're supposed to guess that the "tardiness 1296 issue" in the Dec minutes explain the end of that at-will employment.

Of course, there wasn't a problem disclosing information in the minutes about the end of the Sparta employees' employment . . . but that is another thread.

HAPPY LINCOLN'S BIRTHDAY!

Pez

At 08:16 Hrs., IN RE: Executive Session 129

President D. Ray Greb called for an Executive Session with no objections noted from the members to discuss 130 staffing and payroll issues. 131

– 132

At 08:25 Hrs., IN RE: Regular Meeting Reconvened 133

October 11, 2006 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08:25 Hrs. 136

--------------------------

(December 07, 2006) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MEETING RESUMED AT 13:15 HRS. 336

All Executive Committee Members answered the Call at the resumption of the Meeting. 337

At 13:15 Hrs., IN RE: Secretary's Report 340

Subsequent to his call, bringing the meeting back to order, President D. Ray Greb requested that Secretary 341 G. Mike Seitz present the Secretary’s Report to the Executive Committee. Secretary Seitz, with the assistance of 342 Office Manager Connie J. Collier, reviewed the following Disciplinary/Suspension Actions, Correspondence and 343 other Administrative and/or Legal Issues to properly come before the Executive Committee: 344

•• Contract Expiration of [former] Executive Director John R. Norris 345

Subsequent to review of prior Minute Records of various Executive Sessions of the Executive Committee and 346 following extensive discussions, it was the unanimous 347 consensus of the voting Members of the Executive Committee that John R. Norris, was not and 348 shall not be offered a renewal contract as Executive Director of the Amateur Trapshooting 349 Association (ATA) nor the Amateur Trapshooting Association of America (ATAA). This 350 consensus opinion of the Executive Committee is in accord with the <i>October 2006 Executive 351 Session Minute Records during which the Executive Committee by unanimous consensus 352 offered employment terms, on an at will basis, to John R. Norris and these terms and 353 conditions were accepted by Mr. Norris, in their entirety, as his free and volitional act. 354

•• Exigent Omnibus Resolution / By-Law Provision Pertaining to Executive Director 356

Secretary G. Mike Seitz advised the Executive Committee that due to the current vacancy in the position of 357 ATA Executive Director</i> that it is necessary, expedient and/or advisable that an Exigent Omnibus Resolution be 358 considered, discussed and adopted so that the normal business functions, practices and office routine can be 359 effectively processed and completed. “Further, there are specific ATA By-Law and Official Rules provisions that need 360 to be adhered to, and complied with, in order to prevent provisional conflicts therewith,” advised Secretary Seitz.

16. lisalong

lisalong Member

Many personnel issues are confidential and not for public notification. We should respect that for both sides involved. If you lost your job, would YOU want the reason broadcast on the internet. That's why there are HR consultants. To help employers to adher to the laws around confidentiality.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA is and always has been a Membership Organization and being as such the members are entitled to a certain degree of information, especially if it has a direct or indirect impact on them as members of said organization ... The Financial interest of the ATA as a membership organization is supposed to be available upon request from any life member and I believe any annual member can and should be entitled to same upon request ... I have made several requests via E Mails to have a copy of the P/L's mailed to me and even offered to pay for same to no avail ... I did get a copy from Neil Winston a couple of years ago and mailed him a check for the postage etc and in all honesty I think I did get the check back but would have to look in my records to make sure ... I sure would like to know what the hell is going on but obviously that is none of the memberships business ... Business as usual at the ATA/EC and thats a total lack of communication with and to the very people they are supposed to represent ... WPT ... (YAC) ....

18. Des'Pencer

Des'Pencer TS Member

The above link is to the other thread. Perhaps the "fellow shooter" will describe how that ATA information released about those Sparta employees is confidential.

Also, maybe someone has the URL to the Nov 15 "Changes at the ATA Vandalia Office" non-confidential news release (see copied text below). It looks like the ATA removed the link that had been at the home page.

HAPPY LUV FEST FRIDAY!

Pez

Effective December 1, 2006, John Norris has requested a transfer from serving as ATA Executive Director to a new position as Tournament Director, including the assumption of certain duties pertaining to the ATA’s computer operations ... John Norris has been with the ATA for more than twenty years and has previously held the position of Grand American Tournament Director. His functions will include managing all ATA tournaments at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex, including the Grand American and U.S. Open, while assisting with the day-to-day ATA functions such as computer operations, overseeing Satellite Grand American details and continuing many of his current
    daily functions. ... John’s vast knowledge, especially with directing tournaments, will remain an integral part of the ATA as we host events at the WSRC which includes an even longer 2007 Grand American.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The end result is that what has occurred will not impact us as competitive shooters.

My life hasn't taken a turn for the worse when David Bopp was tossed either. Jobs come and jobs go.....no big deal!

If you feel this type of news impacts you....maybe it's time for some Prozac?

Curt - Delaware

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Like Tournament Directors, and Executive Directors, Delegates come and go when they get the same attitude as the ATA/EC has adopted toward its membership and the memberships concerns ... Maybe thats why last year over 70,000,000 people went bowling ... We Delegates in the USBC really do volunteer totally and completely, everything we do is on our own dime ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

david bopp trap amatuer trap association