1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Excited about my first ATA shoot this weekend.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I have shot many years in the games and as a hobby just going to the club and shooting practice rounds with the guys who do shoot ATA all the time but I have never joined the ATA and never shot registered targets. I even have my own atlas trap machine and put on my own pot shoots. I recently bought a new XT combo and one of the old timers has talked me in to joining the ATA and my first shoot is this weekend. I have to admit I'm a little excited. We will see what happens.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Where at?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good Luck and get ready to be addicted.

Matt

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

huntingandhotrods.

Have fun man,you'll enjoy it,BREAKIMM ALL ,

Sandy Holehouse.

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Wishing you 100 straights...Have fun and enjoy...Odie

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

play the Lewis

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Bring reading material and lunch. There are often VERY long breaks between events. My first 200 singles had like a 4 or 5 hour break in the middle, I was so bored I slept in the car for like an hour. Now I come prepared.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What kind of hot rods? A street rod is on my bucket list..

9. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Have fun man, you will meet a lot of cool people and can compete aginst all different level of competers. Also the ATA website is cool it will tell you your stats and when the next shoots are around you or around USA

10. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Thanks everyone for wishing me well!! I'm going to do my best and see where I end up. I'm sure I will be on here looking for some more advise.

To answer some of the questions --

V10 - Oaktree gun club Southern California

Unloader - I like your style!! Thats what kept me from joining the ATA for so long!!

Changeo2 - I built a 1936 Lo cab pickup that I used to chase the girls that unloader had mentioned! I'm on my work computer and don't have any pictures here but when I get home I will try to post some from my home computer!

Thanks Again! Huntinandhotrods (Dwayne)

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ford or Chevy 1936? Brings back memories, a friend of mine and I dumped a 301 (bored out 283) small block Chevy into his '36 Chevy pickup. Had B&M trans, big Pontiac rear end etc. Junky truck all around that. 40 years ago, it flew for the time...later, he got wise and restored the truck back to entirely stock and won some trophies at Antique Chevy meets etc.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Dwayne,

Start making plans then to attend the Western Zone Shoot at Triple B Clays (El Monte.)

Nine or ten clubs across the west all shoot and compete together on the same weekend (July 14 - 17, 2011.) It's one of the biggest shoots in the country, but you don't have to travel far to be part of it. It's called a "telephonic" shoot, but now, thanks to one of your fellow California shooters, David Van Elgort (owner of Trapshooters.com) we compile the scores online. You can check out the shoot site with last years scores and winners at the link I've posted above.

Hope to see you "there."

Scott Hoover

ATA Delegate, Utah

13. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Chango2 - Sorry I forgot to type that in. It is a Chevy! I had my wife email me a picture. I will try to up load.

V10 - I plan on making every shoot my budget and wife let me attend. I hope to see you there!

huntinandhotrods_2010_1105.jpg

huntinandhotrods_2010_11051.jpg

14. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

One more question - does only the best shooters for the year get to go to the state shoot or can any body attend? Thanks in advance. Huntinandhotrods

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's a dandy lil truck guy! When it comes to shootin, you gotta plan for that too so it's best to ask her to go along with you! As for her permission, ya gotta plan that too. Shaking her awake and telling her your ready for some shootin action this morning, she'll probably tell you not to forget to take your reloads?? :)

Hap

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Anybody can shoot your State's shoot. There are some penaltys for not shooting your states targets shot requirements, but you can still shoot, as long as you can reach the counter with your money.

I envy you. I can remember that first ATA shoot, first state shoot and the first Grand American targets. I was so thrilled to be there, I almost peed my pants. Have fun and good luck.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

That truck looks like the run in the later part of '36, the earlier ones were more square. My good friend who owns an early '36, all restored, had to take adult ed to get into a woodshop to re-do all of the cab wood.

That's quite a color; I have a shirt in that color from Palmdale's Fine and Feather Club. Friends and strangers ask me why I wear it; they say my wife will always be able to find me in that glowing color!

What are you running; it looks like the venerable SBC with a tunnel ram..Ah memories, driving a '36 Chevy pickup with a very fresh and revvy 301 sbc...like the time all the electricals failed one new year's (friend and I swapped vehicles that college year), the time the steering box failed, how the vehicle flexed a good deal, etc., etc. "Youth and fun is wasted on the young"...

Hope to see that truck at a trapshoot, it looks great!

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...also, that truck was light. He ran 3:90's in a rear end pirated from an early Chevy Suburban. The truck had a 300 degree flat tappet Chet Herbert cam, and the heads had a home made porting job of the time...valves "unshrouded" via a home drill. That thing revved and revved, easily saw 6500 on the tach at a shift point. Those trucks were, afterall, light, light, light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.