1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Excercising - which muscles are used for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Sep 20, 2013.

1. samthompson

samthompson Member

I wanted to create an exercise program for improving the muscles associated with clay target shooting. Which muscles are used most?

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

Most trapshooters seem to have some kind of huge muscle in the abdominal area. Not sure if it's useful or not.

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Pushups (wide, narrow, diamond) curls, flys, anything that builds shoulders, traps, triceps and biceps. Scott

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do gun lifts. Go through your complete routine including closing the gun, shouldering it, call for your target and swing through. Do it 100 times a day or every other day. It will help build the muscles you use as well as helping you to make your gun mount a smooth thoughtless action. An old timer(Hap) told me to do this routine. It helps. I actually rehabbed my shoulder after a joint replacement doing gun lifts. Had me back shooting really fast.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a personal trainer 2 times a week. The most important muscles for trap shootings is your core muscles, They support your back and enable you to rotate from the waist.

Basicly work on core, balance and arm strength is last.

Phil Berkowitz

6. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Phil has it right...Core

Chip

7. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Courtesy of USA Shooting

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I agree with Grntitan with a the addition of the following: Add weight to your barrel or barrels preferably your o/u for added weight. Put full length steel rods in them, I use steel round stock taped to protect the bores. Lift your gun making your mount and hold it up for the count of ten (one thousand one, one thousand two until you reach ten) Start slowly maybe three to five lifts the first session adding more lifts each time until you can do hundred easily.You will be surprised how few lifts you can do first time out with weighted barrels. The second part is doing reps of overhead gun lifts holding the weighted gun with both hands above your head starting from your waist.

Lastly, walking with light hand weights, daily if possible.

After a month of gun lifts and walking you'll feel the benefits. Fatigue is the number one enemy to consistent scores.

Surfer

9. hera200

hera200 Member

All great advice but in the end only partially useful if the eye muscles don't do their part both in being still before calling pull and then moving quickly and smoothly when it counts. Yes you can exercise the eyes for shooting re: Phil Kiner's info.
    After all is said and done, only one exercise puts all of these together at the same time and that is Terry Jordan's WALL CHART.

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Jordan's wall chart is a great helpmate and well worth the investment for honing your vision and smoothing your approach to the target, the same can be said for Kiner's eye exercise video along with his other video.

The exercises suggested above will create stamina allowing for a steady barrel and a refined gun mount in very short time period. Try a weighted gun mount holding the barrel as steady as you can with the one thousand one count to ten, you will find out very quickly what muscles are needed to prevent fatigue and hold steady and swing through-out a marathon event, Try it, you won't like it................................

Surfer

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Matt (grntitan) said or the Terry Jordan Wall Chart. Not only helps with muscle strenght, but muscle memory, and practicing your gun mount to get it exactly the same, every time.

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I went to a Crossfit gym last winter for a couple of months before shooting started in the spring. What a difference! Shot my first 100 straight for the year on my second day out. The rest of the year is another story with my arthritis kicking in...

I felt one of the best exercises was rowing. Keeps the back aches away and is great for the core. Sit ups, pull ups, ring dips and arm stretches with a pvc pipe over the head were all warm up exercises prior to the work out of the day which varies every day. If you'll do it, it's a good exercise. The thing about Crossfit is your entire body gets a workout as you can tell by the name of the approach. I severely scaled down the exercises to my level so that I could do the allotted time/reps. This was important so I could tell myself that I had done a good job and keep my attendance reliable.

Darn arthritis!

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

With trap shooting, it's all about the glutes.

-Gary

[​IMG]

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Walking is great, I started walking about three weeks ago. I'm up to two miles a days, lost 8 pounds, blood pressure went down 10 points, and I feel much better.

15. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I work my right arm with a Vente mocha Frape' from Starbucks...with an extra shot of expresso. Instant energy with taste.. LMAO..

16. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Chopping wood with an axe is a good workout.It strengthens all core muscles that you would use you would use to trapshoot.

17. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I shot several registered shoots but only shot practice once at my home club since the 24 th of May. Practice is great but I just never had time for it this year from May on.

I used the Wall Chart a lot and shot the odd doubles or handicap practice at registered shoots. I hit three 98's and a couple 99's in doubles. Handicap was not good this year but switching to a a Silver Seitz for singles and handicap in March was a learning curve that the Wall Chart use really helped a lot. I did manage to hit a 200, three 199's a few 198's in 16's and won several Veteran trophies, probably made the runner-up Veteran All-American team again.

Without the hours of gun points on the Wall Chart none of those big scores would be there.

The chart is great eye aerobics and it uses you exact shooting muscles you use on the real trap field.

I get letters almost every week from chart users hitting their highest scores ever.

Terry.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bend slightly at the waist, roll right shoulder forward, put your hand on your hip and pull out wallet! repeat often....

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/core-strengthening-exercises-00000000054969/index.html" target="_blank">Core, Core, Core.....</a>