1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EVIL dead @ 69

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by W.P.T., Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Evel was a showman if there ever was one ... I figure half of what he said was BS but the way he said it made you want to believe it was true ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

2. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Can't remember what year 69 or 70 I saw one of Evils shows at Minnesota Dragways. By far the best performance I ever seen by a real dare devil. No one could ride a 750 XR like Evil.

3. Express

Express TS Member

It's Evel not Evil

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

And before the XR, it was a T-120TT. Evel was quite the showman. Does anybody remember Chitwood?

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I remember some great family times and food with everyone visiting and hanging out all day to see if Evel could make the next death defying jump. The networks would build up all day preparing for the climatic jump.

Didn't the guy about break every bone in his body?

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I remember Joey Chitwood at the Fairs and also Lucky Teeter.

I was ther watching when Evel jumped the fountains at Caesars. Not much crowd control back then and had hard time getting an ambulance to him. Was in the hospital a long time and Caesars Palace picked up his Hospital charges.

7. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I was going to say hallelujah evil is dead. Not to be.

Arnie

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

What I liked about Evel was that he probably thought it was a good chance that he might not make the jump he was going to do but he would go ahead do it anyway.

Ok with his son Robbie im sure he wouldn't do it at all if the calculations didn't figure out just right also now days the cumputers does a lot of the prep work to see if a jump is possible or not.

I bet Evel just done what he felt was right.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2xwO1ciEKo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2xwO1ciEKo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rest in Peace at last and may your bones not ache anymore.

Foggy

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it
    is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which
    almost went unnoticed last week.

Larry LaPrise, the man that wrote "The Hokie Pokey" died peacefully at
    the age of 93. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him
    into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble
    started.

Shut up. You know it's funny

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

FlaLagarto

Yep, that Joey Chitwood. I remember the whole family went to the show at the county fair, except my Grandmother...she was a good Baptist, and she wasn't about to see any show with the word "hell" in it!

And Ahab...that was funny!

11. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I saw him at minnesota dragways also in the late 60s, Myself and a bunch of buddies rode our bikes to snake river in 74 to see the big jump, 17 years old and quiet an adventure for a buch of stupid kids, man did we get an ass chewing when we got home. We didnt call home and tell our parents where we were till we got there because we knew theyde make us come home. Man what a memory. truly a sad day. His early lifestyle finally caught up with him.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Evel was a true patriot, and he gave the crowds a great show. What he did he did very well.

He had a Hell of a life, rode rodeo, ski jumping, played hockey, and generally raised a lot of hell.

His motorcycle competition career was in motocross, and never got off the ground to any great extent.

In '66 I had a factory rep tell me about the crazy guy that jumped over a local drive in out West somewhere for their grand opening. Soon he was in the news constantly.

I liked the part where he went after his crooked manager with a baseball bat and messed him up good for screwing him out of money. (Go, Evel!)

Truly an American Icon.

HM

13. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Sorry to see him go. We did not see much of him these past years but I always enjoyed seeing his jumps. He was a American Icon. He will be missed.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Let us not forget that the great motorcyclist Bud Ekins passed last Octobr 7th. I attended a wonderful memorial for him that was open to the public at Warner Bros. this afternoon. Bud "gave us" the Steve McQueen jump in the "Great Escape" and drove the Bulitt Mustang (for the most part) during that famous chase.

15. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I think Evel lead a life a good many of us would like to have but just didn't have guts enough to give it a go. He was fun to watch and it was fun to listen to his storys..........................Roger

16. m70win

m70win Member

Yes it took nut to jump on a Harley, but look at the crazy stuff they do now days. Mike Metzger set the world record for a back flip 125 feet over the Ceaser Palace Fountain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2433858

Tim

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

My God....you would think Elvis died again! What's with you people......we celebrate some idiot dumb enough to try to jump over the Grand Canyon or something?Unreal! .........just kidding guys, I tried it myself once to. I was killed!

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The dude lived for an incredibly long time for someone who lived as "hard" as he did!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.