1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Every Volt being recalled

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by AveragEd, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That battery recall was issued months ago. Today's newspaper has an article about the rebound of our domestic automakers and how their sales numbers are escalating. Even the Volt has sold well in spite of the fire scare - 7,500-some in 2011.

I'm no electric car fan and GM lost my loyalty a year ago when I, a retired long-time dealership service manager, had to fight with them to get some goodwill for a known product problem on a vehicle that had experienced its fifth failure of the same component.

I'm buying a new vehicle in the spring and it will not be a GM product. It's going to feel odd to buy something else but I'll manage.

Ed

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

It is another sad day for all the Die Hard GM boys. The cars of the late 60s are long gone. Trevor Dawe.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Ed, right on I used to buy 3 new pickups each year for my little contractor deliveries, in EVERY case cost of upkeep was highest in the GMs lowest with Dodge and Ford in the middle, a 5 year cost accounting study, when you are spending your own money, it really matters. incinerate em!

4. TD1958

TD1958 Member

WELL, MAYBE WE SHOULD SEE IF OBAMMY HAS ANY WAY OF HELPING THEM WITH THEIR ISSUES, loooooooooollllllllllllllllll, THANKS, TIM

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yip, cars caught fire after being left outside for a month after the crash tests and weren't powered down like the manufacturer mandated. It has to be all GM's fault for not doing it for them.

Kinda like that news show that tried to say how unsafe the 73-87 Chevy/GMC P/U's were and how they caught fire in certain impacts. When the truth was known, they could only get the trucks to catch fire if there was a model rocket engine ignited by the gas tank during the wreck. They had to print a big retraction over that.

Then we could discuss the roman candles that Ford put out for many years in all sorts of disguises. First it was the Pinto, then the Crown Vic's, then it went onto the vans/ambulances that would torch without notice even if they hadn't been involved in a wreck.

ss

6. white rattler

white rattler Member

short shucker,as a tax payer and a proud owner of a piece of GM you have the right to vent. It is ok go ahead. Trevor Dawe.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yip WR you won't see anything but GM's in my driveway. They are the only vehicle that has never left me stranded. I'll keep driving them Chevy's til I'm dead.

ss

8. AveragEd

It pains me to do so but in honesty, I have to say that GM vehicles are by and large pretty good. I had our Toyota franchise in my building for 15 months while a multi-million-dollar building was being built for it. Believe it or not, my warranty receiveables (the money owed me by the auto manufacturers for warranty repairs) was higher every month with Toyota! And that was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, hardly a high point in GM quality.

I still like their vehicles but when I had to fight for the same thing I gave GM vehicle owners for years, they lost me. GM always told us that if you're going to give an owner something, do it voluntarily - be the "good guy" and earn their appreciation and loyalty. If you make them fight for it, they won't appreciate it. Guess what? GM was right!

Ed

9. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Ed- Was your fight with the dealer or with GM itself? Did the dealer not use good discretion?

Rem

10. TD1958

TD1958 Member

WA WA WA tax payer bail out. Jus another form of welfare!!!!!!!!!!

11. AveragEd

The dealer's hands were tied by GM - they denied goodwill until I vented on them verbally and in writing. I had to remind them of all the GM customers whose hands I held while we repaired nightmarish products like the Cadillac V8-6-4 and HT4100 engines, the infamous 5.7L diesels, the THM 700-R4 transmissions, the THM440-T4 transaxles, the 1983-1992 cars and trucks with paint delamination, the mid-80s Rivieras and Toronado electronic disasters and the 1984 Corvette's electrical woes, just to list a small number of them.

The vehicle in question is my wife's 2003 Saturn Vue with a VTi transaxle. The failure rate on them exceeds 100% because most have failed more than once. GM released a Special Policy on them, extending the warranty coverage to 100,000 miles. I commend them for that but by that time, my wife's Vue had been down for two $4,000 repairs and one $5,000 replacement. That's when the fighting started - since it turned 100,000 miles, it's had another $4,000 repair and another $5,000 replacement that I had to argue about with them for weeks in order to obtain help. When they grudgingly agreed to pay for the last replacement, they told me there would be no more factory assistance. That replacement just went out of service parts replacement warranty last month, so my fingers, toes and eyes are crossed in hopes that it lasts until spring.

Had I known about the problems with the VTi, I never would have bought one. But GM kept Saturn in its own little world - dealers for other GM brands could not obtain service information or parts for Saturns, so their problems were their own dirty little secrets.

Ed

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Archie and Edith had it right "gee our old La Salle ran great". With this in mind I'm keeping my 1997 Aurora until some museum decides to display it - in all it's glory.

13. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I'm with ShortShucker, only GM in my driveway, too.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

RIP shucker and BBB

15. skip

skip Member

For now I'm stuck with one GM crap box, never ever again GM!

Don't forget the GM Orange colored antifreeze that turned to mud and ate through intake and head gaskets, caused complete engines to grenade then denied any responsibility for the problems and wouldn't pay for repairs.
    That blunder caused tens of thousands of GM owners grief, heartache, and unnessary expense for repairs.

GM CRAP!!!!!!

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also have to agree with Short Shucker & B B B, I was a pretty staunch Ford truck person until the mid 60s, then after getting 3 lemons in a row (I usually drove Olds for cars all the time), went to Chevy for trucks in 70 or 71. Bought another Ford truck in 04, bad news, back to Chevy again for next truck. While the GMs haven't been perfect they have sure been better anything else that I or my friends have had foreign or domestic in the same time frame. Ross Puls

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Moving Dolt, er, Volt production to China? Wasn't there a recent thread here on how each Volt had a $250,000 taxpayer subsidy on it?

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Only GM in my garage. Helped my daughter buy an Special Edition '09 Ford Mustang last week. Thought I raised her better. Fortunately it was at a Chevy, Buick dealership. Ron

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Only GM in your garage? You have my sympathy.

20. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Starting with a '56 Buick I have never had a bad one. 12 total. Currently have a Lucerne and an Escalade. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.