1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Every sport has them!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I recently bumped into an elderly man at the grocery store that I have not seen in years. When I first got into trapshooting he was one of the men who donated his time at the local gun club.

You know the type, the man who is a jack of all trades that can fix and maintain just about anything. He never took one dime for the countless hours of helping the gun club maintain it's equipment, and he also made sure if a trap broke down during a shoot, he was Johnny on the spot to get it working again, or bring in a new trap so it would not disturb the harmony of the shoot to any great extent.

He is now in a wheel chair, his daughter was helping him grocery shop. He did not really remember me, but I thanked him for all the time and work he had done at the local gun club. He told me that those days were the good old days for him. He asked about certain club members that were long gone, in which he at one time associated with. He talked of shoots before my time, that he remembered like it was yesterday.

The man is now in his 90's and deep down I was laughing that he was being wheeled a long in the liquor department. I asked him if he still enjoyed a drink now and then, as he laughed and said that is what keeps him going.

His drink of choice was Jack Daniels, and as we were checking out of the store, I took his bottle from him after the young gal asked him for his ID????? We both laughed and I said, if he can prove that he's old enough to drink, this drink is on me for always being a friend to trapshooters.

I am the cheapest person you ever met, but in this particular case, it was worth every penny as this man was extremely loyal to our sport.

Like the title to this thread states, every club usually has one of these men or women, that without them it would make our sport not what it is today.

Steve Balistreri

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You did a good thing, Steve!

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

3. kd185

kd185 Member

very honorable

4. senior smoke

It didn't take me to long to realize how valuable a man with good mechanical skills can be for a gun club. Especially during a large shoot, these individual's can either make or break a shooters shooting experience at a club. I had always thought that these individuals were paid employees, which is not always true, as a good many of them are volunteers.

The purpose of this thread is to suggest if you have a person working at your club like the individual that I have mentioned in this thread, may I suggest that you treat the person to a lunch, or a cold one sometime. I'm sure they will appreciate your kind gesture, especially on a hot day. I guarantee, it will make you feel good, as they will be extremely grateful for not only the refreshment, but knowing that someone actually appreciates what they do for us shooters and the gun club.
    Steve Balistreri

5. torqueman

torqueman Member

After working all day in the real nasty greaty world. I enjoy going to my gun club and shooting a couple rounds. the guys there are always helpfull and in a great mood ,we joke around and have a great time ! This is truely a sport that is full of great people there is still hope! JOE

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

We have a couple of guys at our club like that. They are always there an hour before everyone else. They always lend a hand and always take care of the machines. As far as I know they don't get paid.

It will be a sad day when they are not around. I wonder how many of us regular shooters know what a benefit they are?

7. senior smoke

Joe:
    Over the past 41 years I have witnessed the generosity of trapshooters. From numerous Diabetes benefit shoots that over time have raised well over a $100,000.00, to Cancer benefit shoots that have raised over one million dollars.

It is nice to know that no matter where you are traveling through out our country, and should you ever need help, all you have to do is locate the nearest gun club and tell them you are a trapshooter, and you will get the help that you need, as you are automatically considered to be a friend.

I have said this over and over again, shooters are the most generous people in all of sport.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.