1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Every Shot Counts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I just read this, and although it is about golf, I think it can be related to trap shooting just as well. The mental part of trap shooting.

This is from Kansas City Star sports columnist Joe Posnanski, on a conversation he had with Tom Watson. I can't say I know Tom, but I have been to his home and have met him on numerous occasions, and he is a really down-to-earth guy. Here's the relevant part of the editorial:

<i>"...I find listening to Tom Watson talk about golf utterly fascinating. I think it's because I do believe that there are life lessons in sports ... not vague, ethereal life lessons that barely mean anything at all but direct, practical life lessons.

For instance, my favorite bit from Wednesday's conversation with Tom was when he talked about how every shot counts in golf. I was asking him about Rory McIlroy's self-destruction at Augusta, and he said that he wished Rory had fought harder. "I never once saw Jack Nicklaus give away a stroke," he said. The key to golf is that if you are on pace to shoot 80, you have to try to shoot 79. If you are on pace to shoot 90, you have to try to shoot 89.

And, Tom makes clear, this is not just about making the best of the situation. No, this is about defining who you are as a person. "When you're hitting the ball well," he says, "it's EASY. ... And golf is not supposed to be easy." The most successful people, Tom believes, are the ones who can stay fully committed to the moment, who will be dedicated to do their best even after it's clear that things are not going to work out as well as they had hoped or planned.

Tom told the story of Byron Nelson, after shooting a 72, griping about what a terrible round he'd played at the Masters. He'd only hit six greens in regulation. He was hacking the ball all over the place. He was grumbling afterward that it was as bad as he could remember playing. And his friend Eddie Lowery, who was Francis Ouimet's 10-year-old caddy when Ouimet won the 1913 U.S. Open, said: "On the contrary, this was the FINEST round you have ever played. Because you played that badly and you STILL shot a 72."

That, to Tom Watson, is the gold standard. Most days in life, you are not going to shoot 63. You just aren't. The wind will be blowing. The ball will bounce funny. The putt will hit a spike mark. Life is simply not set up for five-for-five days at the plate, for 19-of-21 shooting days, for hat tricks and four-sack days and rounds with 10 birdies. If you're lucky, you will have a few of those days in your life, days when everything seems to click, Ferris Bueller's day off. And those days are to be enjoyed, cherished, but that's not real life.

Real life is shooting 72 when you hit only six greens. Every shot counts."</i>

2. Red Truck 99

Red Truck 99 TS Member

Good read timb99 sounds very much to me like the words of a wise man. I am not a competition shooter but would like to try it someday. Gonna need a lot of practice and some coaching. Am getting a little old to start but what the heck. Oh and thanks for the primer help. Will take it to heart.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Golf is nice, when you finish a round you get to kept your ball. Not like trap where management keeps your lead when you finish shooting. HMB

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"The most successful people, Tom believes, are the ones who can stay fully committed to the moment, who will be dedicated to do their best even after it's clear that things are not going to work out as well as they had hoped or planned."

Well said.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

This was one of the most worthwhile things I have read on this forum.
    Tom Watson is an amazing athlete and even at his age still contends in tournaments he plays. One of my biggest disappointments in sports was his losing the 2009 British Open on the last hole by one shot.
    I didn't see it on TV because it was the last day of the Wisconsin State Shoot and I was shooting the handicap.

Tom Watson is an expert sporting clays shooter and holds a sporting clays/charity event every year. He is always one of the top finishers in
    his own tournament. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, too.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dick

He is a genuinely nice guy. Twice, he has allowed me to teach a hunter education course to a boy scout troop (the troop his stepson was in) on the grounds at his home, not far from where I live.

He has a skeet/trap range about 200 yards from his house, which we used for part of the class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.