1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder why there are Anti-gun nuts out there

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Look at the distortion from this paper,,,,

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Prima facia evidence why I will not vote for liberals.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Same folks who display......."Give Peace A Chance"......."Coexist.".......and........"Obama" on the back of their Volvos and Subaru Foresters.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Actually, if you go back and view some of his other toons, you'll come to the conclusing that he is a bit remote. Which is a way of saying he has a limited audience. If you guys want to read one of the best see Glenn McCoy.

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

MIA is right, Glenn McCoy is great & best of all he is from right here in my home town--- Belleville, Illinois. He has a comic strip also(not political)
    called The Duplex. Colonel

6. JOND

JOND TS Member

How many died before their time so others could decorate their bumpers with stickers saying "Give peace a chance" ??? JOND

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You said it JOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If shooters did anything besides whine to each other and think that hiding keeps them from being known by "THEM" the situation might be different.

Find an old gun magazine, say one from the 50's, including Rifleman, and check out the legal report or whatever it is called. It could have been written yesterday. In fact, I think the NRA tracts are all reprints from the 50's anymore.

Nothing has changed in 60 years. That is not the fault of the liberals - that is the fault of the SHOOTERS and the self serving incompetent NRA. You want to know who the problem is for the shooters? Go look in a mirror.

JMO of course hahaha

Charlie

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In the 50's we did not have youth programs, Hunter Safety, Mentored hunting for the very young, or gun safes and cable locks.

A 60 mile trip for partridge hunting was a big deal, and we planned for it several days ahead of time.

Ammunition was not anywhere near what it is today, both rifle and shotgun.

The whitetail deer season was called off one year due to low herd populations.

There was no DCM, or CMP. "Rifle Range" usually meant behind Uncle Pete's barn, with Dad's shoulder to rest the gun on.

My granddaughter is 17 and has killed 4 deer and 3 turkeys.

I think your problem is obvious.
    halfmile_2008_03039.jpg

HM

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The world knows about none of those things and would probably consider shooting Bambi an evil act. Image is everything and the shooters' image has been dictated by those opposed. Reason and truth have never been elements that HCI or the like have any need for.

The only shooters/2nd Amendment supporters that the world sees regularly are the fringe militia nuts and demented workplace murders. That is not the fault of the liberal media (a myth in itself), that is the fault of the NRA primarily, sucking up $millions$ and using it for buildings, generous salaries, and now and then promoting a nut case like Heston that probably was the most public blunder of the last few decades.

I am a shooter and have been for over 65 years. I kill animals for fun and food and have no need to apologize for that. I was involved in 2nd Amendment projects for a couple decades until I finally came to terms with the simple fact that the majority of gun owners were delusional if not paranoiac and it was not possible to overcome THEIR resistance.

I'll be shooter till I can't lift the gun anymore, but I would not be surprised to see what happened in GB happen here in my lifetime.

JMO of course YMMV

Charlie

11. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

What The NRA Does For You

"What's the NRA done for me?"

That question was recently posed by a young man at an airport. He recognized me and struck up a conversation about gun control. I asked him if he was an NRA member and he said, "No." That's when he hit me with, "What's NRA done for me?"

As NRA members, we've all heard that question—especially from casual gun owners who enjoy the benefit of our success—and I guess your reaction is the same as mine: It's worth a thoughtful response.

Before I answered, I wanted to know more about him—always a key to confronting a lack of knowledge or misconception.

Did he believe in the Second Amendment? "You bet."

Did he believe in the right to carry? "Absolutely. I have a permit." The right to armed self-defense? "Of course." Was he a collector? "Yes." Semi-automatics? "Everybody should own an AR."

As NRA members, we share a sense
    of pride in what our members and dedicated staff have accomplished. Was he a target shooter? He proudly corrected me. "A precision shooter."

A hunter? "Yes."

Just then he was called to board his plane. So I knew I had to answer that question in print for his benefit and for your use.

First and foremost, he can thank the NRA for our 35 years supporting the superb scholarship and practical legal experience that led to the U.S. Supreme Court's June 2008 definitive ruling declaring the Second Amendment to protect an individual constitutional right. That case struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns and the ban on any armed self-defense in the home. It wouldn't have happened without the NRA. That goes for the case pending before the same court challenging Chicago's ban and demanding that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms apply to state and local governments.

The NRA grassroots effort that re-elected President George W. Bush centered on the importance of his high court appointments. Without that total commitment, the court would surely have been dominated by Al Gore's and John Kerry's gun-ban appointees.

Beyond the high court, in broad strokes, here's what the NRA has achieved for my airport inquisitor based on his interests:

He exercises the right to carry and he can thank the NRA for his "shall-issue" permit. Since 1987, that right has been extended to 40 states with 36 states issuing permits to all qualified applicants.

If this young man had carried or even possessed a firearm in a national park before Feb. 20, 2010, it would have been a crime. Thanks to the NRA and our friends in Congress, citizens can now possess and carry firearms in federal parklands in conformity with the laws of the state.

As for today's array of handgun designs and models available to consumers, our friend can thank the NRA for defeating every national scheme to ban pistols and revolvers—from so-called concealable "Saturday Night Specials," to handguns with polymer frames, to semi-automatics capable of using "high capacity magazines," to handguns in small or large caliber, to handguns not possessing built-in "smart gun" technology.

Then there is the question of ammunition. The NRA Institute for Legislative Action's first decisive victory in 1977 prevented the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from outlawing handgun ammunition as a "hazardous substance" in the home.

As to where a firearm can be used in lawful self-defense, the NRA has been responsible for Castle Doctrine laws enacted in 24 states, many replacing laws that required potential victims of violent crime to run away when confronted with deadly force outside their homes. We've already preserved the rights of employees in 12 states who wish to keep lawful firearms locked and properly stored in their vehicles.

Among the citizen safeguards in the landmark 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act, known as the Firearms Owners' Protection Act, is a provision protecting gun owners traversing any state with properly stored firearms. Previous to that, gun owners traveling through states like New Jersey were subject to felony prosecution for illegal possession for transporting a gun in their vehicle.

That law reformed the worst provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and curbed massive abuse of power against gun owners, licensed dealers and collectors.

That brings me to how my young inquirer obtains his firearms. From dealers? At gun shows? From other lawful individuals? Were it not for the NRA, all of those sources would have been closed down long ago.

Through enactment of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005, Congress effectively slammed the door on scores of big city lawsuits designed to put federally licensed gun dealers and manufacturers out of business.

We have held the line against Brady Campaign and Violence Policy Center legislation intended to close gun shows nationwide. As for criminalizing now-lawful intrastate sales between individuals—the goal of the Brady Campaign—we have blocked that one as well.

As for the young man's ownership of an AR-15, the NRA was responsible for the sunset provisions of the onerous Clinton gun ban, and we used our collective might to make sure that worthless ban faded from law.

"Precision shooter?" We have stopped bans on accurate rifles claimed to be "sniper rifles."

There is more: we worked to arm airline pilots, an essential to protecting passengers.

And he can thank the NRA for keeping the United Nations' gun-ban treaty at bay.

Without the NRA, this young man would have no place to shoot or to hunt. Preserving and developing both has long been an aggressive NRA effort, as is our gun safety focus in training millions of gun owners and law enforcement officers.

Anyone who asks that question— "What's NRA done for me" —owes a deep debt they can pay by joining our ranks.

As NRA members, we share a sense of pride in what our members and dedicated staff have accomplished.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Is Charley listening?

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There are anti-gun nuts "out there" because there are gun nuts "out there" too.

The more you push your 2nd amendment rights in their faces the harder they will push back. It's human nature...even if they don't necessarily feel all that strongly about their own position they will resist yours simply because it's not theirs.

MK

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thats the reason we call the free lance star the Free Slant Star. I was sorry to see that cartoon in our local rag. Jeff

15. Brian in Oregon

<i>"The more you push your 2nd amendment rights in their faces the harder they will push back. It's human nature...even if they don't necessarily feel all that strongly about their own position they will resist yours simply because it's not theirs."</i>

So you're saying it's human nature to push to take rights away?

16. Unknown1

You need to improve your reading comprehension, Brian.

I said that it's human nature to push back when pushed. The point at issue is immaterial, but people who may have been only mildly uneasy by legal guns in society can become vocal, active opponents if they are made to feel overwhelmed by the issue.

You have got to expect that there will be reactions when the news wires carry stories like this one about a gun club in Pennsylvania:

<I>Candidates, Others to Fire Bullets, Bows at Cars</I>

There are dozens of positive ways to gain publicity. Why do it with something mindless and self-serving like this?

MK

17. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Its a feng shui/ying yang balance thing.

There are anti gun nuts cause their are gun nuts. Nuts equal nuts, simple as that. Both are extreme views and the reality is that neither can see that thier own extreme view causes the other to exist.

I am an assistant scout leader and one of the few shotgun and rifle merit badge counselors in liberal montgomery county MD. I'm doing my part by educating our youth about gun safety, hunting, and the shooting sports which are lots of fun. What are you doing other than spewing your opinion and paying your membership dues? Works beats words all the time just like 100 chips and chunks beat 99 smoke and powder.

18. 7771

7771 Active Member

Well my 9th grade english teacher is a huge liberal and today we were in class and she asked, " Why cant the world just have Peace if every country quit having wars the world would be a better place." and she asked Why we have to keep buying and making guns and just have peace in the world. I am a Hunter and a shooter and there is no possible way to change a liberals mind. We got into an arguement and i asked, if a man with a gun came into your house and you didnt have a gun to protect you and your family how would you protect them from harm?? she said, I would try to settle it in a peaceful way and try to calm the man down. What in the world is this lady thinking!

19. Brian in Oregon

Unknown1, quote: <i>"You need to improve your reading comprehension, Brian.

I said that it's human nature to push back when pushed. The point at issue is immaterial, but people who may have been only mildly uneasy by legal guns in society can become vocal, active opponents if they are made to feel overwhelmed by the issue.

You have got to expect that there will be reactions when the news wires carry stories like this one about a gun club in Pennsylvania:

Candidates, Others to Fire Bullets, Bows at Cars

There are dozens of positive ways to gain publicity. Why do it with something mindless and self-serving like this?

MK"</i>

I wanted clarification on your position, and it's worse than I initially thought.

Your position is that we would not have people pushing to take our rights away if we were not pushing to get them back.

But... WHO TOOK OUR RIGHTS AWAY IN THE FIRST PLACE?

And with the anti's pushing to take our rights away for the last 76+ years, why weren't those who, in your words, are "mildly uneasy" pushing to stop THEM from going too far?

Then you cite people shooting a junk car as somehow being controversial, well, I guess you'd have to be pretty paranoid to see something ominous in that. Would it still be "mindless and self-serving" if they shot clay targets instead of a junk car? Heaven forbid if anyone wore camo while doing it. That might make someone nervous.

And since you say the "issue is immaterial", are we to understand you feel, that like gun owners, uppity, in-your-face blacks in the 1960's should not have pushed to get their civil rights back, since they might have pushed "people who may have been only mildly uneasy by" giving civil rights to blacks "in society can become vocal, active opponents if they are made to feel overwhelmed by the issue"?

At this point I'm just going to flush your paranoid argument down the toilet.

20. Unknown1

Be my guest... yours will appreciate the company.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.