1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever wanted to sit in the pilot's seat of a B-29?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ever wanted to sit in the pilot

Well, here's the next best thing. Interactive 360 degree view from the pilot's seat of the B-29 Enola Gay.

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

No. Never wanted to do that. But, thanks anyway.
    Mike Durhan

3. big joe

big joe Member

Great link Brian. Made you feel like your in their with Col. Paul Tibbets on your way to Japan!

Joe

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Paul Tibbets shot Skeet our our club in Ohio back in the late 70s.

A very outspoken and sometimes caustic individual.

Definitely the right man at the right time.

Regards....Gerald

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I did just that at a CAF display a few years ago. As a former pilot, I felt privileged to have done so..

Good luck @the line & smokem' all....

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Those don't look like comfortable seats. Of course they look just about right to seat a guy that is already wearing his parachute. Somewhat crude looking by today's standards in aircraft and avionics, but state of the art in the 1940's and quite a workhorse.

John

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Neat.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian--Thanks for posting that. That is a cool view. Would love to take a ride now. Not in the days when they were shooting back.

My grandpa was a ball turret gunner on Avenger Torpedo bombers in WWII off the aircraft carrier USS Salamaua. He said during one flight they took heavy anti aircraft fire that blew out his hydraulics and communication with the radio man and pilot. Several rounds had passed thru the ball and barely missed him. When they landed the radio man and pilot ran back to check on my grandpa. They thought he was gone because they couldn't reach him on the radio and his ball wasn't turning. After pulling himout and seeing he looked fine they asked him "are you hit"? He replied "not unless blood is brown". He had crapped his flight suit. LOL True story. He has told it to the family countless times. I still love that story and will listen to it without a problem. Someday he won't be there to tell those stories.

He also reminds me in his funny way "boy if it were not for us WWII vets, you'd be eating rice and noodles for supper". LOL

God Bless our vets.

9. gus in philly ata57

gus in philly ata57 TS Member

If your in Tucson visit the PIMA Museum. You can get in the seat of most planes. Great experience

Mike Guscott

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

i hope that everybody clicked on the world vr website: those are some incredible 360 degree images!

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

That was really cool! Thanks for posting. I've seen the Enola Gay from the outside only before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.