1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever use lead BBs in a BB gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My first concern is that they'd have to be perfectly round or they'd get stuck in the bbl. What do you do if a lead pellet gets stuck?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Joe,

They used to have a carnival game where you shot a full auto, air driven long gun (not rifle) at a star shaped target. The goal was to shoot the star completely out of the paper.

These were smooth bore and were loaded with shot (# 5 or 6 as I recall) - they were SLOPPY relative to the barrel diameter so risk of sticking was small.

Not sure where you would go with a modern air rifle and shot, but hey, pellets are made of lead...

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

What choke??

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I shot lead BBs as well as copper in my first air rifle, probably a Red Ryder, 55-60 years ago. As far as roundness, the lead BBs are probably just as round as the copper. As far as the Carnival game machine guns with the BBs, those "Carnie Guys" would change the rules after I won 2 or 3 of those giant stuffed animals. Larry Evans

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

7.5 or 8's?

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have an ancient BB pistol that's .14 caliber. Lead birdshot works well in it. It has just enough power to penetrate a wet paper bag.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I got a BB pistol for Christmas one year, it shot very small lead pellets. It was lots of fun shooting ornaments off the tree 'till parents caught me!

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Some of the Daisy BB guns had a magnet in the feed mechinism that got ahold of the BB before it was lined up with the barrel. If you used lead BB's you'd have to hold those guns just so to get them to shoot.

All of the ones with the lever cocking mechinism were gravity feedd and would shoot anything as long as you had the muzzle pointing up when you cocked the gun. If the muzzle was pointing down they won't feed anything.

To make them really powerfull just put some solvent on the leather seal to make it swell. Mine would shoot thru a tin can if it was freshly juiced up.

I bet I shot 5 million BB's thru that gun, it was definately a testiment to the way they used to make things back in the 50's. Built to last! I got mine in 1958. It lasted well into the 80's. Some days I'd put a complete tube of 500 BB's thru it.

Randy

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ah BB gun speed loader. I had a Daisy Red Ryder and we used to dump a whole tube of BBs in our mouth and then blow them into the loading hole on the barrel. I remember the J J Newberry and the local hardware store still sold the Lead BBs as well as the Copper ones in the early fifties.

--- Chip King ---

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

anybody put a BB in front of a Pellet and shoot it at birds and squirrls? I was a killer with that combo with the old Crosman 760 and the daisy Poweline pump! Lot's of Starlings got shot while they were eating the suet ball hanging off the bird feeder! Jeff

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you mashed them with a hammer.. they worked OK in a Sheradon Air rifle 5mm.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

It's amazing what you can shoot out of a BB gun.

To this day, I don't think my dad realized where all his small rifle primers were going.

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

what you get now listed as BB shot is avg at .180 so may stick. if you have tumbler may try in there for couple hrs
    but the one thing is steel is lighter so a lead bb is about 1/2 the range
    oh cant shoot birds as lead will kill them thats why you have to shoot goosys with steel so you dont kill them

14. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I have never did that, but I did have a buddy who loaded copper bb gun bb's in shot shells for duck hunting when the feds made it mandatory for steel. He said copper was non toxic and the game warden agreed. I never seen him hit anything with those shells, but those copper bb's would fly farther than any steel or lead just ask the people that thought it was raining on their cabin roofs about 300 yards across the lake.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sounds like theres still too much kid in all of us....I still have my Daisy 1894 Levergun BB repeater..its why I'm hooked on lever-action rifles to this day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why do copper bbs shoot farther than lead