1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever try EAGLE SHOT ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdhog, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jdhog

jdhog Member

They are selling Eagle shot up in Wis from peru , any one ever try this good or bad ?? Thanks
    JDHOG

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have shot my best scores or years on this shot..........

GS

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Been shooting it for the last couple of years. More than a ton & it's just fine. Usually have the choice between that & West Coast & take which ever is the best price.

best... mike

4. goodlife

goodlife Member

Been using it for last 7 years. Absolutely great shot that smashes targets!!

5. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

No complaints here other than the bag is not stitched, but glued with a plastic inner. By no means a reason not to buy it, but I like the stitched WestCoast bags. OCD..?

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

All I've been loading the last couple years. Cheaper than anything else around here and seems to perform ok. I did hear that it was no longer going to be imported. Anyone else hear the same?

Steve

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Used it for years.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It does smash targets. It is heavy. It isn't magnum as the name implies. It isn't chilled, it isn't t even round. It is, in fact, the very, very worst shot I have ever tried.

That being said, an acquaintance of mine is fond of saying you could shoot gravel at singles and still break them. Probably true, but I'd rather shoot the good stuff, and Eagle most definitely is not it.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ditto to zzt. The bag says Magnum; testing says soft.

Neil

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

All I've used for practice for years.

It does seem to run 1/8 to 1/4 size smaller than what the bag says.

11. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Agree with zzt great for 16 yard and practice. Dump some in a small tray and you will easily notice the difference. A lot of oval shaped shot, very similar to homemade shot.

George.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It is packaged with a plastic liner inside the cloth bag. That prevents any oxidation. Good stuff!

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Eagle magnum is the second hardest shot I've tested....several times....over the last 10 years. It is only SLIGHTLY softer than the hardest lead shot I've ever tested...Lawrence magnum. In my testing, both Lawrence magnum and Eagle magnum consistently test harder than the shot in ANY premium factory load. Eagle tests harder than AA, STS, Federal Medal, et al.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How did you test it?

Ajax

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, weights, and PE don't lie. Harder than STS? Not a chance. I don't know about AA and GM, but judging by PEs, I really, really doubt it. Even my informal squash testing says no way. What gives?

Hopefully Neil or others with good shot hardness testers will weigh in with their results.

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm not dissing reclaimed shot. I can't find reclaimed shot in my area to even try it. Only got a container once, long time back and I mixed it.

Your claims make it sound that Eagle shot is worse than reclaimed.

I know guys shooting trap, skeet and sporting with it and they seem to be crushing targets with it just fine.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would trust Neil and his "end result" analysis.

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had no problems with it.

19. RedScare

RedScare Member

Eagle shot is great, best bang for the buck. I started buying it at Darien Wi this year and it is very comparable to lawrence magnum shot, uniform, round, almost as hard. I put up some good HDCP scores this year with it.

I want to call bullshit on the guys saying it is soft but they seem to be of good reputation. Maybe there is lot inconsistancies of quality but the 4 bags I used this year were great. I do mostly use lawrence and reclaimed but ill hit Darien again for the Eagle shot and good targets.

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My "Shot Hardness" notebook has gone missing but I was sure of my earlier post so I found an old example,

[​IMG]

dug out my shot-hardness tester, and went to work.

First, I'll bet many here are unfamiliar with the standard rig used for this sort of testing. So I'll cut an paste from a post I wrote here in 2005.

"In a recent thread about the patterns of hard- vs. soft shot. To make it right, I tested the hardness of the shot.

You are going to measure the difference in pristine pellets before and after a weight is dropped on them. You can use a micrometer, holding the pellet with really pointy tweezers, or something like this, which is easier:

[​IMG]

Here's the rig, taken apart. There's a big solid steel block, a steel "slug" weighing a pound which drops onto the pre-positioned pellet, a brass guide to keep the drop consistent, and a 1 inch steel cube which is withdrawn releasing the slug from a constant distance:

[​IMG]

Here it is put together. Imagine there is a measured pellet under the falling weight as soon as you slide the cube out of the way and it will be crushed to some degree, that degree depending on the hardness of the shot.

[​IMG]

The softer the shot the more it crushes. Here the soft pellet is on the right.

[​IMG]

With the weight I use, hard 8 shot, starting at 0.090 inches, crushes about 0.023 inches, while soft shot crushes 0.029 inches, within a thou or two.

Winchester, Fiocci, Federal, and Remington shot is hard. Much "Magnum" shot is hard. Some is middling, some is pretty soft."

That's how the test is done. And these are this morning's results.

The tables have all the data but are not so easy to understand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A graphic tell the story much better:

[​IMG]

Since more "crush" means softer shot, this Eagle Magnum shot rated as "soft" while the AA shot rated as "Hard." There is no arguing with these results, in my opinion. They can only be countered by different results of experiments carried out with equal or better care and precision.

The Eagle Magnum "pre-crush" diameters are a little more variable since the pellets weren't very round. The Eagle shot was mostly 9 1/2 or 10, not 8's, so I had to hunt a lot for pellets I could use. I chose smaller examples of the AA shot from that group to match, in general, the size of the largest Eagle Magnum.

All the Eagle and most of the Star shot I have tested was no better, or harder, than this which is why I agreed with zzt and his completely negative assessment.

Neil