1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever tried SR 7625 powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I was just wondering if some of you had tried 7625 powder, and what you thought about it. From the looks of it the powder looks to be hard on the budget but light on recoil. I was interested in its ability to be used as a handicap powder. Jim Price

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Best on 1 & 1/4 oz loads. If you use it for trap loads it will be dirty since the pressure is too low.

I killed a lot of game with it, and it makes good 20 gauge hunting loads too.

32 gr 7625 in a Federal hull with a Remington SP12 makes 1400 FPS.

HM

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats all I shoot for games ( all I shoot is games also) I load 26.7 grns, 1 1/4 oz 7's & 6's with 12S4 fedwads, fed primer in Paper feds and Active hulls. shoots about 1325ft per sec and in my opinion has low recoil. I can shoot it all day long

4. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I acuired some for reloading some damacus parkers, low pressure. might try some 1 1/4 now with halfmile & cubancigar comments.

5. superump

superump TS Member

SR 7625 has been around forever and is a GREAT reliable powder. However it is a hotter powder and great for 1- 1/4 oz and 1 -3/8 oz hunting loads.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I used SR7625 for years when reloading for trap. BEST POWDER I HAVE EVER USED. Always felt my reloads were better than factory new. A little pricey compared to others. When used for singles in a Rem hull with a Fed 12s wad and 1 1/8 oz of Lawrence Magnum #8 1/2 shot it's almost like cheating. Add more powder and change to a #8 or 7 1/2 shot and you are ready for long yardage. Suggested loads are published in many guides. Pressures are reduced by nearly 40% as compared to 700X. Requires a little more powder for equal velocity and is a little dirtier (not a problem unless using an auto that rarely gets a cleaning). Many people seem to like the smell of 7625. If not for the rebates that have been available on new shells I would be reloading with SR7625 exclusively.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

It is a great powder, but not quite as great as PB and a bit bulky for my tastes.

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I have used it on 1 and 1/8 ounce loads and it is a little on the dirty side. 25.5 grains in Remington hull. I think you would be happier with PB which is about the same price and uses about 2 to 3 grains less to get the same speed with just a little more pressure. Still light on the recoil and the same price as 7625.

John

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great 28 gauge powder!

Jim Skeel

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I used it in the 70s for awhile. It was dirty back then.

I had trouble loading 7625 and Fed. papers using Win. primers. After a nite of squirters an old trapshooter asked me if I used Fed. primers.

Evidently he had problems with Win. primers and 7625. I switched to Fed. primers and had no problems.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20ga reload using 7625

powder 7625
sr 7625 odd smell
sr 7625 recoil