1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever shot trap next to a skeet game?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

At first today I thought someone was fooling with me.. the first 3-4 times i mounted and got my hold point a clay from the next field would sail in front of me and land on the trap house and shatter.. then i figured out that somehow their rotation (the skeet shooters on the next field) seemed to work out that whom ever was shooting at the same time i was shooting couldnt hit a low house bird, or would only wing it and the remained of the clay would land right in front of me..lol.. but I still had a good time.. if it gets to the point I dont have a good time I'll find something else to pee what little money I have away on..

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have 6 overlay fields. If we have registered events no skeet targets are shot adjoining program traps. Sometimes in open shooting a skeet field will be active next to a field shooting trap.

No problems, or very few to say the least.

HM

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

We have a skeet field next to our #1 trap field and often get a missed high house bird makes a guest appearance. Skeet field is closed during registered trap shoots for this reason.

Jeff

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Focus on what your doing, not what's going on around you. Your scores will show it also. Bill

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have a scar near my right temple from target shards hitting me while shooting the singles in a tournament. This is one of the reasons that trappers and skeeters aren't always fond of each other when thrown too close together.

Skeet should never be shot on adjacent trap fields at the same time. Better to cooperate and take turns but that isn't always a cordial arrangement.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We had a girl on our High School team get cracked in the back of the head from one of them there errant Skeeters. It left small knot on her head. No big deal but i could see how a more serious injury could occur. I'd say if the Skeet birds are flying into an active Trap field, they shouldn't be shooting next to each other. At the WSRC they usually try to leave a vacant field between for this reason.

Bill Grill said "Focus on what your doing, not what's going on around you". I usually agree but when clay birds are whacking shooters from behind and the side its tough to do. I would challenge you to shoot well when birds are coming at you as you call for yours.

Matt

7. doubleman

doubleman Member

While I was shooting trap last summer a low house target that was chipped (ie 3/4 of a target) on an overlay field came over the fence and hit me in the shin. I was on station 5 and just mounting the gun so I had no chance to avoid it and I was also wearing shorts. It hit hard enough to leave a 1" cut on my shin and I will no longer shoot on that trap while the adjacent skeet fields are in use. I am thankfull it did not hit me in the head or face.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had an enormous gouge and dent put into the finish of my nearly brand new 687EELL years ago by a skeet target visiting us while shooting practice at PG Co. ..I was sick as it was the most expensive and prettiest shotgun I had own up to that point in time..I'm much more wary now being near any skeet field

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

We don't have a problem with the clays interfering, but I have a couple of pock marks in my stock from getting sprayed with shot.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A few of us that shoot trap together make a game out of it. If a skeet target comes into the field while we are shooting we try to pick it up before it hits the ground. It's kinda hard to hit your called target quick enough and still get to the errant target. We only do this if it's our turn to shoot so it isn't a free for all. Since we all shoot O/U's it gives us a little practice for other target presentations.

ss

11. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

at our club the skeeters must put up the temp webbing fence so that their missed high house targets don't come over to the trap field, if they don't put it up....NO skeet shooting period.....

12. ken a

ken a Member

Another good reason to wear protective eye wear

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

No one shoots without eye protection at our club. After a warning, they are asked to leave if they persist in shooting without it.

HM

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

forget the targets. what about getting rained on by shot if there is a strong northwind blowing. we have a skeet field 4 fields down the line and when the north wind is blowing every shot taken from post 7 ends up raining shot right down on our 16 yard pad.

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

sounds like this is typical at any club with skeet and trap fields side by side? Is there a particular landscape format that a club could use to mitigate targets and shot hitting other shooters in the adjacent fields? Like a staggered format?

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I would write a forceful letter to club management, demanding they do something about it!! Regards, Ed

17. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Sounds like your skeet shooters need to practice more and get better. If they hit them solid enough, there isn't much left to drift on to the adjoining field.

18. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

If the skeet targets are set correctly, there shouldn't be any targets that will interfer with shooting trap on next field.

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Just the way it is. Windy days can really be a problem as targets can and will fly past the distance stake.

Not something that can be fixed, especially at the smaller clubs where all fields need to be utilized on practice days. I have seen a couple of clubs that hang a large net that captures targets (much like a fish net), usually attached to the high house and a tall pole. Distracting at first. The bigger clubs can leave a skeet field empty.

As stated, many clubs limit the other disciplines shooting on adjacent fields during registered shoots. Should be the norm...

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I never heard of a trap shooter getting hit with pellets from a skeet field on the 16 or any other yards line. The wind will not move their pellets enough to do this as well. It is possible that a broken target comeing out of the house while a shooter was on station l or 7 and if the larger piece flew INTO the field and was shot at by the shooter. This would cause a shot drop on a trap field several fields down range of the skeet field. I have seen only a couple of targets fly like this and the shot was always witheld by the shooter when I was there. Its very possible for a newer shooter to shoot at a target like this. On the same note: Skeet shooters have to withold from shooting on a regular basis while the club fills up the trap houses where the trap boy can be seen from multiable fields in both directions holding up a dozen or more shooters from shooting while he is in the open. I don't hear the skeet shooters complain about their having to stop shooting on a reg. basis. So now it seems all shooters have to work together, so we can enjoy all clay target shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.