1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EVER SEE OR SHOOT A 32 GAUGE??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Has anyone on here ever seen or shot a 32 gauge? I saw and read about it in a old issue of Gun Digest and they seem to be pretty popular in Europe. It looks to be between a 28 gauge and .410. Does anybody make shells for this gauge?

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Fiochi may still make the ammunition for it. They made the rounds for my Beretta 24 ga.
    Mike Battista

3. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I imported a bunch of both 24 guage and 32 guage cartridges from Italy back in the 80s when I was Double M Shooting Sports in Connecticut. Seems like they flew out of my inventory immediately and went into the hands of grouse and woodcock shooters all over New England. I recall that some American manufacturers had made some field grade S x S guns in those smaller guages in the early 1900s and they were popular with the "heavy woods" shooters throughout New England and the mid-Atlantic states.

When these guys found out that the 24 and 32 guage shells were available they snapped up 250 cases instantly. So, yes, there are a bunch of deep-woods guys somewhere in the northeast who love these smaller guage guns and shells.

Mike Mann

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

There were two model 21 Winchesters made with one barrel 24ga and one barrel 32ga on the same set of barrels! One made for Olin and one for Ulrich. Jeff

5. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

Yes! I have guns in 24 and 32 gauge!

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You just had to ask, didn't you? Many years ago, (circa 1960), I shot live birds at the Madrid Rod and Gun Club, in Madrid, Spain, at the ripe old age of 15. As I was a youngster, and an American, I had the opportunity to go down the hill on the outside of the ring, well away from the clubhouse, along with all the other shooters kids, and shoot any birds that got away, outside the ring. We collected all the birds we killed. We shot pigeons all day, and when the big money events were over, they would break out the 28 and 32 ga. guns, and shoot live birds with these just for sport. During this event, all the birds that were shot were breasted out by the wives of the club, and they were cooked, along with anything else they brought, for dinner. This type of event was a very big deal in those days and everyone that was a member contributed something to the club. There was a staggering amount of money at these shoots, and I'm happy to report that, on occasion, I shared in that loot. Now, to the rest of the story:

There was a shooter at the club that was very well known at the Madrid Club. His last name was Padro, and he shot a 32ga. side by side for these after hours shoots. If I remember correctly, his gun was an AYA side by side, made in Spain. At all most every live bird shoot I attended, he won the small gauge live bird shoots with his 32ga. Those were the days! Haven't seen once since then. I think they were more of a Europeon (sp) thing, and I haven't seen one since.... Dan Thome....... (Trap2)

7. magicman

magicman TS Member

Ballistic Products has loading supplies for the 32.They also have factory Fiocchi shells.

8. rustygun

rustygun Member

Several years ago Jaquas had a mdl.21 listed in 32 ga. I don't remember the price it was expensive, but not as much as I would have thought.

Does anyone know if the custom shop would build one or were some made for the European market.

9. psfive

psfive Member

I would really like to obtain one or two 32 gauge shells for my Hunter Education Classes. I only need a couple. Anyone have one or two that you would be willing to part with. Send me a PM. Paul in Nebraska.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes and not that long ago. The ammo was current production Fiocchi and the gun was a real trim sxs from Spain tha a friend of mine was considering as an investment gun.

It shot just like what you would expect from a .410 (36 gauge) - not terribly impressive. Deffinately scores well in the quirky /oddballl factor but I'm not sure why this one exists.

11. rustygun

rustygun Member

If you go to the links page and look at Grafs website, the have both 24 and 32 gauge loads. 32 are 13.99 bx.

12. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Thanks for the info everyone!! Very interesting!!

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There is a box of 24 ga on Auctionarms and there are two 32 ga on GunBroker.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Actually, the 32 shoots the same shot load as the 410 2 1/2", but patterns MUCH better.

The 24 basically mimics the 28, also with superior patterns. Sadly enough, they are both hopelessly obsolete.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'd love to shoot a couple of rounds with any of the smaller gauge guns......it would really be an eye opener...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.