1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EVER SEE A CLUB ASK TO CHECK RELOADS?????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    i have often heard that gun club management can request to check your reloads. supposely they have to give you replacement shells in return. i have never seen this actually happen at any club. have you? also what happens if your shells are illegal?
    steve balistreri

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, My father and I did have our reloads check at a large shoot over 25 years ago. It was a skeet shoot, so they only checked the weight of the shot as not to be over the one and 1/8 oz. Their is no speed limit on a shell (fps) in skeet. Our shells were OK'd to be shot for the event and they did not replace the shells they checked, two from my 4 boxes at random and the same for my father.I have not heard anyone in trap having their shells checked, so it will be interesting for me to see the results of your thread as well. Good Luck in your shooting and Break-em all. Jeff

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never seen the legality of reloads challenged or tested at a club. Few clubs are set up to do that. I have seen a very few people disqualified for the numbers printed on the box of new shells they were shooting. This could be a problem. The discount shells manufactured in Spain seem to consistently overstate the velocity of the shells. US manufactures are more likely to slight understate the maximum velocity of shot in their shells. This is due to the method of measuring velocity used by at least the US manufacturers.

Steve- Lets make your question more technical. It is illegal to shoot shells with more than 1 1/8 oz of shot. It is not illegal to carry shells in your bag that have more than 1 1/8 oz of shot. Lets assume that I have shot 20 rounds on one field and you get suspicious and confiscate my last 5 shells. You cut them open and find 1 1/4 oz of shot. This does not necessarily prove that the 20 shells I have already fired were illegal. It does indicate that the remaining shells would have been illegal if I had shot them, but I did not shoot them. Possession of illegal shells on the line is not a rules violation. Shooting them is a violation but how can we tell what a person shot after he has shot it?

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I've never had, or heard of anyone checking reloads. But I have had an official throw a hissy fit over me shooting promo loads that were 1255 fps, several years after ATA adopted the new velocity rule. DUH!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Our range officer has questioned a few shooters on reloads. and asked them to shoot factory shells. One shooter didnt know how much powder or shot ? .

6. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Ireland, if your fixing to shoot your last post on a field and the shells left in your shell pouch were illegal, I would certainly expect to see you disqualified.

Your b.s. statement that you haven't fired the illegal shells left in your bag is just that, b.s. It would be obvious to anyone your intent was to fire them or else you wouldn't have them on you to finish the last post with. It wouldn't matter if you claimed to be unaware of them or not. Kinda like if you were at Vandalia shooting the Grand and found with reloads in your shell pocket to finish the last post on a trap. Think anyone would buy the haven't shot them yet statement?

Are you trying to promote the use of illegal shells? Sure sounds like it.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pat: Sounds like an ex-baseball player who got caught with a "corked" bat. He claims he took the wrong bat by mistake... yea I guess so. More important is the fool who loads his own shells and does not know how much powder and blows his gun up NEXT to you on the line. Fred

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Easy guys. Pat was explaining the rules and why enforcement is difficult. He wasn't suggesting that he used 1 1/4 oz trap loads or that any one should. Actually if anyone could stand up to a full day of shooting the boomers they probably deserve to win. See FlaLagarto's post.

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Keep it simple.... Rule should state that "posession of illegal shells on the firing line" is grounds for disqualification. Why the hell do we have rules that we don't or can't enforce? Flalagarto's situation is also crap. If shoot management knew the individual was shooting illegal shells, why let him continue? Just because he starts off strong and then never wins anything, what about the day he does win? Then what.

Jeff

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had his new shells checked (cut one apart and weighed both shot and powder) at a state shoot. The person next to him was the one that complained to officials after being thoroughly whipped in a shoot off. Nothing wrong with his shells and unfortunately nothing done to the shooter who was a poor loser. Even the officials couldn't believe he filed a complaint but they done their job as required.

Bill

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bill, sounds like the sore loser gherk tried but failed to get into the opponents head huh?

This is sorta like determining a slow versus fast pulled target after the bird leaves the trap with people pullers OR voice released targets. Who makes that determination for a final call if targets are turned down by the shooter? Hap

12. likes-to-shoot

That's one of them questions that you will never get the same answer twice. LOL I've seen that abused also.

Bill

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot;

In that case, I think it would have been better if the complainer was made to put up some cash with the protest. This used to be done when a drag racer would protest another mans equipment.

He would put up "tear down" money, and would loose it if the other guy was legal.

I have also seen racers "counter protest" the protester. Thus, both either had to tear down, or drop the protest. Sometimes these were very heated.

Danny

14. likes-to-shoot

Danny....I think you have something there. Even if it was a couple of new boxes of quality shells that would help keep the frivolous complaints down.

Bill

15. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

How many of these complainst are filed??

Neil.. excluding the use of "reloads" in Vandalia.. how many complaints have been filed with the ATA in recent years??

I think some are getting their blood pressure up for no reason..

Duke

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

We had a guy that shot in the local ATA events for a while. One day I was standing on a post next to him during handicap and his shells were hurting my ears through my earplugs. There were several amazed glances on our squad everytime he took a shot.

After the first field my wife asked why that guys gun was so loud? I replied his reloads are probably a little (a lot) hot.

Once it was all said and done, the shoot manager walked up to him and said "we try to keep our reloads to the ATA rules around here." The guy looked startled, not sure if he was caught or if he was clueless about the comment. He shot a few more times, but with factories.

-Aaron

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Has anyone ever seen a chronograph or a set of scales at an ATA shoot?

Pat Ireland

18. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

senior smoke - are you just trying to stir the pot? The sound made by the muzzle blast changes significantly when going from target loads to field loads. As noted by Avaldes, other things change as well. If you decide to challenge, you better be right (and bring your own scale, chronograph, and several reloading books so you can verify the source data used by the offending shooter).

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since I shoot 24 gram loads at the 16 and dubs, one ounce at caps, I had just as soon a competitior USE very heavy loads! At the end of the day he is worn out, flinching, bruised, etc. and I am fine, even at the end of a marathon!

Some folks use the 1 1/8 oz 1300 fps Nitro Sporting load for ATA, which is illegal and is so marked on the box. The first thing they do is tear off the top flap of the box. LOL

I have NEVER been beaten by someone shooting these thumpers!

20. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

Perazzi BB
    Years ago around here when I was younger and didnt know any better and could stand the punch of the loads. I used a 1 1/4 of 8's pushed by 32 to 35 grs of blue dot. I shot this load at non reg 50 bird matches in all kinds of weather. I was in the money 95% of the time with this load and broke more 50 straight's with it, more than any other load that I have ever used. This was due to the extra shot and exrta energy this load produced. This load really made a difference in bad weather (cold and windy). In bad weather I would most always have a 3, 4 or more target advantage over the rest of the shooters when the match was over. This was at small shoots that shot the bird race at what your ATA yardage was. This was 20 years ago and most clubs and shooters refered to my shells as (loaded dynamite), but no one ever said anything to me about the loads. They just advised me, to not use them at a registered shoots, so I never did. When I went to the reg shoots I would use the old AA silver handicap's but I couldn't break the targets as good with them, mostly due to the timing(reduced speed) and the lack of energy.
    Like I said this was 20 years ago and the rules were not looked at that close then. Most of the shooters wasn't worried about what the other guy was using or how good the targets set was. They were just shooting and trying to find a load that worked for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.