1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EVER HUNT WILD PHESANTS WITH A 28 GAUGE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Has anyone on here ever hunted wild phesants out west or in the mid west with a 28 gauge? What chokes did you use? What size shot? How may oz of shot (standard 3/4, 7/8, 1oz.)? How far of a shot did you have to make to bring the bird down?

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When I was a kid I used to hunt them with a single shot .410, got quite a few, and it makes you learn to get on the target quick

So a 28 would be better, but not as good as a 12

3. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

My experience with shooting game with a 28 ga. double gun goes back starting in 1994 when I acquired my first sidelock SXS. I decided to use it as my sole wild game and game farm double. Barrels are 29", choked .015/.025 (for a 28 ga. this is tight IM and tight F. The best results were obtained by using Federal Premium 3/4 oz. copper and 7/8 oz Federal that I had a hoard of before they were discontinued. The W/W 1 oz. is not something I would recommend as it is slow, with heavy recoil (in a <6# gun), not so great patterns and doesn't seem to kill game as well as the other loads mentioned earlier. I also have a supply of 3/4 oz. bismuth for use when I am on state/federal land that requires non-toxic. The hunting I have done with the 28 ga. double has been in ND, SD, MN. It includes pheasants, sharp tail grouse, and Hungarian partridge. When disciplined enough to limit shots to 30-35 yds. (MAX.), I have found the 28 ga. with proper loads kills as well as a 20 ga. or light 12 ga. load. If you ere on yardage and extend your shots beyond 35 yds., the results are very disappointing and should always be avoided. Best wishes in experiencing the joys of a good 28 ga. double. Lyle

4. SetterGuy

SetterGuy Member

All depends ....

With Pointing dogs, choose your shots well and an IC or LM will work.

With Flushing dogs, a 28 is not my choice: with no dogs, forget it with any gauge.

5. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

I shot a bunch of pheasants over a good pointing dog, years ago when we had birds. I generally shot 7/8 oz of 6's and IC/Mod chokes. I agree the Federal 7/8 oz load was great - unfortunate that they discontinued it. I never cared for 1 oz loads in the 28 gauge.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

1oz #6 with Blue Dot, on opening weekend. After that, bring out the 12.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes in Iowa, killed many with a 410 same as catpower with plain old lead shot factory load. If you or a friend reload get some #5 copper or nickle plated shot & load it (3\4 oz) to skeet (1200 fps) velocity. Keep your shots inside 30 yds with a mod. or full choke, this load will kill them just as dead as anything you can use. Ross Puls

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

I use the 28 all the time and VERY careful about range. I pass up a lot of drivers at the 30-35 yard range. I shoot hard factory 1oz of 6's and LM and IM for blocking and F/IM for grass over dogs.

9. fordtough

fordtough Member

browning cynergy 28ga and federal copper #6s 3/4oz. used it last two years here in sd, and nd, with no problems killing birds.the first two weeks then the 12 and copper 5s come out and the vinci.

10. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I have a different take on the 28 ga. I have hunted in Iowa where I live & shot around 25 pheasants in one season here on wild birds with a 1100 Remington 28 ga Full Choke the two loads I used were Remington's 3/4 oz load with 6 shot & Winchesters 1 oz load with 6 shot. I have a GSP witch is a must with a 28 ga. I found the 1 oz load to be far superior to the 3/4 oz load less cripples. I did limit my self to shots no longer than 35 yds & even managed one Triple with the 28ga. Yes it does work early season with a dog, I have emailed Remington several times asking them to add a 28ga load to there Nitro line with copper plated shot of 1oz 6 shot, still waiting. I still feel a 12ga 1100 Remington shooting 1 1/4 oz of 6 shot or 5 shot with copper plated shot will bag 98% of the shots we encounter pheasant hunting. I also have used 12ga 3 inch Mag with 1 7/8 oz of 4 shot for late season birds & not felt over gunned, In the end it's about the conditions, & with or with out a dog, no dog leave the 28ga home.

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I agree with SetterGuy over a pointing dog I shoot 6's out of a mod and IM bbls and kill birds inside 30 yds regularly. Same goes for huns and sharpies. When the Lab comes out so does the 12ga with 5's and the mod and full chokes.
    We cripple fewer birds with the 28 as we are more selective on the shots taken over the flushers.

12. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've chased the ditch parrots in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota. I've hunted over good pointing dogs and flushers. A close shot over a solid point is a rare thing on wild pheasants. My advice is to use that sexy 28 on bobwhites, woodcock, and doves. Use your 12 Ga on wild pheasants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.