1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever have a hunting gun you hate to love?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by brdslayr, Jan 3, 2017.

1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Got this 20 ga Remington G3 in a trade deal with Coot Shooter a few weeks ago. Had every intention of selling it as I'm just not that big on Remington 1100's. Grew up with one, then got a LH version, then moved on. Well first box of shells at the skeet range it lost its cool grip cap(I see Remington hasn't figured out how to keep that on either after all these years). Found it after 20 min of looking. It'll stay in the drawer. Then I had to send my new Versa Max back to Remington(see my other thread). Well this left me without a hunting gun, so I gave the 20 a chance. Had lots of 3in ammo, Heavy shot, Heavy Steel, Tungsten Matrix. Took it out 3 different times and limited each time. The first two outings were jump shooting and shots were limited to about 25 yards. This last time only a couple came into the decoys and I pass shot the rest out to 40 yards. 9 shots, 12 shots and today 16 shots. I think this thing is gonna have to hang around for a while, at least till I run out of 20 ammo.

2. brdslayr

Day 1

Attached Files:

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  3. brdslayr

Day 2

Attached Files:

4. brdslayr

Day 3

Attached Files:

1100 REMINGTON MAN and RickN thanked this.
  5. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Looks like it's a keeper. I wish I had some good duck spots like the ones you went to. Good job!

6. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

A little glue on that grip cap and you have a keeper. brdslayer you look to be having a great time love the pictures.

Scott Stewart thanked this.
  7. brdslayr

What glue works? Remington can't seem to figure it out. Hate to lose that metal cap in the field.

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

You should by all means dispose of this gun immediately. Continued usage may/will result in distrust of future attachments.

9. rempremier

rempremier Member

Looks like you have a keeper on the 20 gauge 1100 (recommend epoxying the cap on the stock) and most definitely a good little duck hole. Good hunting!

10. 682og

682og Active Member

Well done slaylr !

11. brdslayr

Took one of my old 10 GA's out today. 18 degrees with a 30 mph North wind. Good day to be alive hunting with a classic. Man I can't wait to be retired.

Attached Files:

RickN, big kahuna and 1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  12. brdslayr

Well, took the 20 out yesterday. Didn't know it was going to be it's last run. Got home and my neighbor had to have it. Oh well, got guns-a-plenty that need field time. Probably have to finish out the season with my RBL as I doubt I'll get my VersaMax back in time. One last pic from yesterday for the road.

Attached Files:

13. Jcrawford

Jcrawford Member

I have and old marlin goose gun, bolt action with a magazine, just kicks like a mule. I would never sell that

14. 243FAN

243FAN Member

I like the fact that you grew-up with a 1100. I grew up with my Grandfathers single barrel and had to reload really fast. Keep that 1100 in your safe !!

15. brdslayr

I got started on an Ithaca Super Single 66. God I hated that gun. Every shell would stick in the chamber. A lever action looking single shot. Uggggh.

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Killed my first duck (a mallard drake) on my first duck hunt back in the early 70's with a Ithaca Super Single 66. The fellows I hunted with used one as a boat gun to finish off cripples. One of them had set the Ithaca up in the blind to thaw it out (the high that day was 4 degrees). The mallard came straight in on us while everyone was hugging the charcoal bucket to keep warm. I looked up, saw the duck and instinctively grabbed for "my" shotgun (a Browning Sweet 16). Only it was the Ithaca that was between me and my Browning. Killed the duck and it crashed into the top of the blind. Scared the stew out of the two other hunters. Years later I bought an Ithaca 66 just to look at and remember that shot. That hunt started me on many years of waterfowl hunting. I have no desire to shoot the 66 I now have.

brdslayr thanked this.
  17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a Weatherby Vanguard stainless in 243 Win. Every time I go rifle hunting for big game it's the one I want to take... and then I listen to crap about my peashooter until it kills something. Then when a long range groundhog hunt happens. It's the one I want to take Then take crap for it being overkill and loud as hell. I can't win but it's effective at everything and stone dependable at shooting all weights the same exact spot on poi and under moa with any ammo. Even the cheap East European imported junk. I love it but dang I get tired of listening to the BS

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you like a gun, keep it, no matter what anyone says.

Have have an old Ithaca 37 that was badly worn and battered up well before it ever touched my hands. It is almost embarrassing. The thing is 100% reliable, and is quick to point when hunting. That and the Mossberg 500 pump are field guns that will stay as long as I can at least occasionally hunt. They have both put plenty of meat in the freezer. If I showed up at a new trap club, they probably wouldn't even let me squad with those ugly old guns.