1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever had this happen?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hunter46spring, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

I was shooting my Ljutic Mono today with my reloaded Federal Gold Medals. After breaking a bird I ejected the spent shell and out pops the brass and a 1/2 inch of hull. I look in the barrel and, sure enough, the top section of the hull is lodged in my barrel about 6inches down. Has anyone had this happen before? I tried getting it out with a cleaning rod, bore snake, wad knocker all without any luck. Anyone have any ideas for removal...right now I have it soaking in CLP.....Shame on me for letting an old hull get back into my reloader

2. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

It's not just the old hulls that do that, fellows in our region are experiencing a lot of that. Why not just junk them and use STS safely??

JMO

Larry

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I second Larry

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It was happening at this years Great lakes Grand and the Michigan State shoot.

Karl Hampel used a reamer to remove one of them from a gents gun...

Beware...

5. BBob

BBob TS Member

I have seen a person remove them many times with an unused wad. Put it in the muzzle and push it back out the chamber with a rod. Bill

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Go to the hardware and get 36" x 3/4" wood dowel rod. Sand it down to fit your bore. Lube your barrel ( your CLP should do it)and you should be able to gently pound it out through the chamber end.

I don't shoot Fed's anymore either.

BTW....This dangerous with an auto on doubles or sporting.

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I bought a new flat of the premium Federal smooth hulls this month and have shot about half of them. So far I have had several out of the flat that separated and left the plastic part stuck in the barrel. Some of them that separated were new and some were reloaded once.

Sunday I shot 125 in a local shoot and had four come apart. Two were reloaded once and two were new. It took forever to get a couple of them out and it caused a big backup with the rest of the squads.

No more Federal GARBAGE for me after these are gone.

Mark Rounds

8. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

At the Southwest Grand this year I got held up for 30-45 minutes because two guys were shooting Fed paper and they were coming apart in the barrel claining it was do to the rain and the shell were wet. They would run to the gunsmith near by to have them removed they finally came back with some Rio shells to finish the trap.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The "New" smooth Federal Gold Medals seem to have an issue with hull separations. I don't shoot them, but many that do have experienced the problem. The old "Ribbed" hulls were fine and I still have a good amount of once fired for reloading and some factory loads. When they are gone, I'll see what Federal has come up with to solve the problem.

Removing the stuck tube is quite another story. If I needed to remove one, I would likely fashion a soft aluminum rod with a tapered cutter on one end, similar to a "Muffler" cutter used to split exhaust pipes. Soft brass might be another option.

10. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Saw that happen to a shooter using new Rio's last month @ New York. Also had a blooper out of the same box. Scary!!

Ron

11. lostandout

lostandout Member

i cought hell for shooting blue magics on here and i never had one of them come apart

12. oz

oz Active Member

lacquer thinner should dissolve it. oz

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Acetone dissolves plastic. HMB

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It use to happen all the time with the old Blue Magic Shells. I took a 1/2" dowel and cut a sharp angle on one end. You'll catch an edge on the plastic, and it will pop out the chamber. I finally quit shooting those cheap-junk shells.

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

This happend with some brand new federals at some big shoot last year, federal was there set up on site, when someone ask them what to do about the hull they said... just shoot it out.. no I am not kidding..

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Take a hanger and cut it and straighten so it is long enough to get to the hull and then take a torch and get the end of the hanger glowing hot and it will cut the plastic into two pieces. Works very fast.

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have had older ribbed Fed reloaded shells come apart at the brass and blow the whole front part out the barrel. Never had one stick in the barrel though.Clyde Doll

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Blue Magics were notorious for this. I just picked up a spent wad and pushed it through from the muzzle end. Nothing else that was handy at the club worked. JRM

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have had this happen with the new Federal Smoothies, sent Federal the Brass that was left after firing it, took about 15 minutes to get the Plastic out of the Bbl. A sharp slanted point to one side of a steel 3/8s inch rod worked nicely, peeled it up and it slid out easily.

No more new Federal Plastic Smoothies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You are definitely not alone. One of my good buddies and a Nebraska State Delegate was in town. Over lunch he showed me this exact same scenario; same exact situation as you and Longshot above describe.

The Federal factory rep is Todd Houghton (formerly of H-S Precision) is from here in Rapid City (I had him as a student in high school many years ago). I have the email address for Todd and of someone else at Federal in Anoka, MN who may be of help.

I was aghast at the hulls I was shown and how part of the hull was even stuck in his Perazzi. He had this happen at the Nebraska State Shoot no less.

If you need some help getting to the folks at Federal, email me, don't use PM.

LOSTANDOUT: Nothing wrong with Blue Magics - I shot a 99 in the Vandalia Handicap at the Grand many years ago with them. Heavy 8½ no less.

Here is nostalgia from the 70's - new RXP's and your Blue Magic!

[​IMG]

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.