1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Ever Go to the Dump and Shoot Rats?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Used to do that when I was a kid. Some fun...if you're not squeamish. A long night if you're scared of rats. I had a High Standard Double Nine(?), I think it was. Been a long time ago.

Booger

2. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

done that a jillion times when younger. Rifle and pistol. Good ole days

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Black tape a flashlight to the barrel, sit on the trunk of your car and wait till it was dark enough to see those little beady eyes. Had to get there early for the best shooting places. Was very popular when I was a teen. And to think the dump was inside the city limits about 2 blocks from down town.
    Don't think it would happen today.
    Remington Nylon 66. open sights.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Heck, we used to club them with ball bats. Tie your pant legs tight, sneek into the piles, turn the headlights on and club like crazy. Darn we were stupid!

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Yes Man and used to put rubber bands around my pants legs cause sometimes those critters would go up any hole that they could find

6. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

We did it out of the back of pickups most of the time. Used a Nylon66, and a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie.

Man you could go through a brick of Long Rifles pretty quick. I can only imagine how much fun it would have been with a Ruger 10-22 with extra hi-capacity mags.

7. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

We had 2 dumps, one on each side of a deadend dirt road. Used to sit on the hood, leave the head lights on, and pop em when they crossed from one dump to the other, cheep fun with my nylon 77, and a 45cent box of 22s.

Tom R.

8. dryvalleyboy

dryvalleyboy TS Member

Try fishing for rats sometime.Bait up a treble hook with a piece of hotdog and throw it in a likely spot.They'll grab it and go,just like a fish.Set the hook,and reel 'em in close enough to shoot.

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Our dump was over the edge of a ravine. We would set our Coleman lanterns up about 100 feet from the edge, and toss a torch over the edge to get things going. Those rats would come over the edge like soldiers retreating from battle, only to be met with 22s, shotguns and anything else anyone could toss at them. Hitting them with a shotgun would usually send them out over the abiss. We used to see who could push one the furthest out over the ravine.

You sure brought back some good memories of hot summer nights.

Dave in NY

10. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

Heck, who needs to go to the dump,right in my own yard, Good to be a REDNECK

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Boy, I don't remember what we shot at them for 22's back then, in the late 50'. But, it was fun, then in the 80's we bought a place in New Brunswick where every area had a dump. That's when a nights laughs were watching the bears and the ferral cats fighting over the bags of rubbish.Nothing that wrong with the old days, as far as I'm concerned; great memories Booger. Bob

12. Juno

Juno TS Member

Dang Booger, are you sure you were'nt using a 7mm for those rats? Somebody said you shot an apple off a trap kids head while steadying an old Aston Johnson on your shoulder and looking in a rear view mirror. They asked me if I Believed It Or Not, and I said I did!

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

We did till all the small town dumps shut down. There were several small communities in the area and each had one. Then there were the area farmers private dumps. We wouldn't pound anyone of them continually, alternating between them. Always had plenty of shooting. Then around the farm about dark we'd throw out a few pieces of bread and catch them coming out of machinery piles and such. Wore out alot of 22's in my younger years.

14. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

My friends boy had a job shooting rats at night in the local Chinese food joint. He started after they closed and got so much per rat. I never did eat there after he started that job. glenn

15. WWB

WWB Member

Geeeeez you bet good memories--we'd sit on the front fenders of those big old American cars or pickups and put a 6 pac of beer on the hood and sit with .22 pistols and a 4 cell flashlite. Some times the local cops would drop by and pop a few with their 38's. I shot a Browning Nomad that I still have.....good trigger and shooter....wish I could do that again. Remember how they'd walk around right in the fire?
    Bill

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Yep my brother and I shot many a rat in the township dump back in the day. We did it in the daylight. Just waited until we saw a can move and then zeroed in. A good time was had by all in the sixties at the nearby grain elevators, that is the big place. Played rat polo having two dudes ride on the front fenders with golf clubs as the driver prowled around and whacked the rats with the golf clubs. We also patroled for cats at night in the country with two on the fenders with shotguns. Great fun in long ago era. Bill

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Tell that to one of today's kids and he'd say "what's a dump"?

18. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Never shot them at the dump, but used to do it in the chicken house with a flashlight and a bearcat.

19. TheNakedGun

TheNakedGun Member

I do that here at my place in FL but only I shoot armadillos in my pasture at night

20. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Use to go with my Dad on a Sunday afternoon. He taught me how to shoot at the rats and other varmints hanging out at the dump. Used the model 56A Winchester bolt action 22. He would use his Savage 110L 30-06 with the 4X Lyman All-American scope and disintegrate a few just to keep tuned up for hunting season.

Chris Morris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

go down to the river to shoot rats