1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever Found an AA Base Wad Stuck in Your Gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There has been a lot of discussion on the 101 blowup thread about AA base wads. So the questions are: Have you ever had one or seen one stuck in a gun? Have you ever found one on the ground? Have you ever found a hull with one missing?

Now, so as not to waste space, please only respond if you have first hand experience, not what your heard or think.

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

A shooter who was shooting before me at our local club had a base wad lodged in his Beretta 390 Trap-I saw it, the shooter is the Pres. of our local club- he continues to use AA hulls & all winchester components----Phil

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Nope, and all I shoot and reload are AAs, 12 and 28 ga, out of a 391 PT and an 1100 Sporting 28.

~Michael

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've never seen a Winchester AA basewad migrate out of the hull. Every one I've ever seen was right where it's supposed to be. I've used and loaded many thousands of them and never once had an issue with a base wad. That said, it's certainly not impossible, just that I've not seen one migrate, first hand.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Nope and the AA HS is all I reload. Between 5 and 8 thousand per year for the past several years with no basewad problems.
    --- Chip King ---

6. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

I have had it happen twice. At the time I was shooting a hi-rib 90T and using the new gray/silver AA hulls. It was a reload (typically I don't reload hulls more than 6 times) and I don't recall how many times these were reloaded. In any event, I "catch" every hull rather than eject them over my shoulder... good thing. Each time the "brass" end cup ended up in my hand and the plastic hull stayed in the barrel. The scary thing is that the second time it happened the plastic was about 1.5 inches down the barrel and if I was just ejecting them I might have never realized it was still there and loaded another right behind it. Each time I needed a rod to push the plastic out. These took place 2 years ago and haven't had one since. I've been reloading AA hulls (old style and new style) for the past (9) years and those were the only times I experienced the situation.

Rich V...

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Good reason to get in the habit of looking down your barrel every time before loading a shell...

8. jackw

jackw Member

I had it happen twice. Luckily I was shooting a breakopen gun and I bag my shells as I shoot. I had the brass end only eject from my gun. I looked in the barrel and saw the plastic hull wedged in the barrel. I tried to insert the next shell to see if I could get it in but the plastic hull wasn't far enough down the barrel to allow me to insert the next shell. That was about 3 years ago and it was with the Gray AA hulls about 5-7 reloads on the hulls. I have quit using AA hulls and reload only Remington hulls now.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've reloaded AA's for 30+ years. Old ones, new ones, and everything in between. I load them until the crimp splits or a pin hole appears, when they are trashed. I have never had any problems, ever, in 100's of thousands of reloads. Anyone that bashes AA's does not reload very much.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Nope!! I have had the ejectors pop the brass off after 6-8 reloads, But the base wad and hull was intact. Oh, I only load about 40,000 shells a year, All AAs.

Jim

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

If I had one I never knew it. I think even if one did get stuck in your barrel, there is no proof the next shot would blow your gun up. It is possible the next shot might just blow it out and not harm you or your gun at all. However, I have gone out where the majority of the wads land and found a few base wads...scary! Winchester knows they have a problem with base wads, but proving them to be at fault in case of gun damage or personal injury would be almost impossible.

Mark R

12. 100straight

100straight Member

"Anyone that bashes AA's does not reload very much."

When the "new" AAs first came out I found numerous basewads that had migrated up the hull, but personally never had one to get into the barrel. However, that was enough for me to "bash" the new design, and stop reloading them. I've been reloading closer to 40 years, and 100s of thousands as well, and I feel that shot410ga's remark is out of line. I burnt all my new style AA hulls so no one would get hurt by them. It is commonly ackowledged that the early new style AAs seemed to have had a problem with the basewad. Question is, do you know when the hulls you are reloading were made? If not, why take the chance?

I've asked this question before, but here it is again, "Just exactly how much is your left arm or your face worth?"

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The only ones I have seen loose were from hulls hit by a lawnmower. They won't stand up to lawnmower abuse.

14. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

JerryP- What kind of pattern does your mower throw. We've got an old John Deere and the hulls will keep a pretty good line for anout 25 ft. or so. I rally hate getting smacked with them!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

15. willing

willing Member

I have a question for those who have answered in the affirmitave, what kind of loader are/were you using???

Bill

16. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

The question was base wad separation, not brass and hull separation. I have had brass ans was separation happen with STS, Gold Medal, paper hulls, and WAA. That's an entirely different thing and readily visible. No to base wad separartion and I too have shot several thousand. BRGII

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I found what looked like one on the ground. I picked it and put it my shell bag, then gave those empties away. I never had the chance to take a good look at it.

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It only takes ONCE so why do you guys take the chance with hurting others and yourself? Especially if a problem is known no matter what the odds.

19. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Nope, and I've loaded them til I was ashamed to load them anymore.

Like JerryP, they are very easy to find but those I see came out of SuperSpeeds, Xtras, Game loads that were laying behind the stands and a lawnmower trashed them, easy to find SS's with the steel base cut in two. Lots all over the skeet infield too.

20. butcher

butcher Member

I have had a Remington 3200 and a Browning Ultra come up with bulged barrels and believe the two piece hulls were to blame.I had loaded only AA's for years but no more.

When checking the hulls, I too found the base wad almost leaving the hull.
    "Shame on winchester for cheapening their hulls and costing me barrel replacements.

Charger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.