1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Ever Enjoy Shooting in Gusting Wind? ==

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I wasn't exactly looking forward to shooting today. Very few people showed up but we ended up having an absolute blast. Some of the targets were unbelievable. I hit several where I think my shot cloud barely cleared the roof of the traphouse. The wind was coming from behind and the bird just never came up. Others did go up and then dropped off a cliff. It was like trapshooting knuckleballs. We lost our rhythm a few times because we couldn't stop laughing. Much more fun than I unexpected.

-Gary

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The wind is my friend! I like the wind! Jake

3. RonC

RonC TS Member

You must have been at my club today. Lots of shooters are average conscious and only shoot in good weather. If you want to become the best shot you are capable of then shoot in bad weather. There is an article in T&F a few years ago by Frank Hoppe I believe that talked about the good feeling of having an average that began with a 9. I know a guy that made quite a bit of $ shooting trap and he always picked the worst tarp to practice on and never shied away form bad weather. He never had his picture on the front of T&F though but that was his game. I figure one day I will get in a big shoot off and the wind blow hard and rain will pelt down and I will win because I had the bad weather practice and the fair weather guys will panic. That's what I hope for.

Cheers

Ron

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

Shooting at Port Awful(Orford, actually) is a laugh a minute with the wind at our backs one minute then comes in from the side. Not just a little breeze, but full blown gale force winds at times,not allowing the birds to take flight, but to fall right out of the house, but it's all good. Keeps us on our toes.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I hear you Gary, We had the same kind of Windy day here today as well!!! I was having fun tracking them both up and down today. Keeps you on your toes!!! LOL. Break em all Jeff

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It makes things interesting. I swear in winter it never stops blowing where I'm shooting in PA.

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Very windy in northern NJ yesterday, with the targets doing all sorts of aerobatics. Made for a very exciting shoot.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If the wind is in your face, pack your case. Anything else is a breeze....

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Well we shot at moon rockets yesterday in South Carolina...

When the State Singles Champion comes in the low 90's you know it was challenging...I couldn't even call it fun the way I shot..MY Score is not for publication...LOL

Dave in SC

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm headed back to the wind tunnel shortly :)

-Gary

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Spanky...

Only in the Winter?! I swear in Spring, Summer and Fall too!

No fair weather shooting allowed...

best regards,

Jay

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

jay, i do the majority of my shooting from september thru april and this past year more then most it seemed like everytime i was out i had wind from some direction to deal with. i'm not complaining, to me it's just expected. i realize that i don't shoot as regular in the traditional season for trap but, smallmouth bass is a summer addiction for me. i just block out all the elements that go along with harsh weather and go at it. good shooting, spank.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes,-- but I was duck hunting, now trap is a different story. But then I can't hit them on calm days either. (grin) Ross Puls

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Gusty winds are the norm here where I shoot (KS, ok, ne, tx). Today for example it's blowing 30t straight with gusts into the 40's. I guess that's why they keep throwing up the windmills out here.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The worst day shooting is better than the best day working.

16. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

I really enjoyed it Friday night in Ohio. My 21 year old girlfriend and I (24) beat most of the old timers shooting protectors. We won a few out right. Must be quicker reactions....

17. chemist

chemist Member

I did today as I won my class ( C ) at the club championship- wind definitely made it " verry intaresting " as Artie Johnson used to say on " laugh In" Yep, I am also one of the aged ones and grateful every day I can get up, get out, and yell "pull". Just nicer when I hit the bird.

Club ran an excellent shoot at North Jersey Clay Target. Thanks to all who made it work.

Rich Kaplan - chemist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.