1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever buy a really bad trap gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have you actually ever bought a really bad, a really worn out used trap gun ?

Either from a vendor at a trap tournament, a dealer who advertises in the trap journals, or one who listed it on this forum ?

I may be naive and lucky, but the vast majority, maybe all, the used guns I have bought were as described. I may not be able to hit targets with a specific gun, but the gun itself worked and functioned.

Secondly, can you actually wear out a trap gun ?

Yes, there are some who shoot a million shells per week...

We all take care of our guns. And it seems like the gunsmiths can tune up anything.

Your thoughts...

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You get what you pay for and I'd never buy a trapgun sight unseen. Maybe if there is a high trust level. A decent trap gun is like a good quality hand or power tool. Can be used hard and serviced when required. There are some good rebuilders on this site. Seek them out.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Not worn out, but once I bought one of those EAA IZH or whatever guns purported to be a trap gun. Brand new, it was junk.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had an experience like Tim's with a 32" Browning Citori Plus. I bought it brand new for $1,350 because they were new to the market and this one wasn't ported but everyone who handled it agreed with my opinion that it was a club. And the noises it made while shooting - the rib jingled and rang and the recoil reduction system clicked and clacked while leaking grease. A letter to Browning regarding those concerns resulted in a reply saying that the rib is noisy because it is adjustable for point of impact and the recoil reduction system required no lubrication. That was a clue about the service behind a product I didn't like so when a gentleman offered me every cent I paid for it including sales tax because it wasn't ported, he became the proud owner as fast as I could go home for the box!

Ed

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

When I first shot trap I went out and bought a Citori field gun with 28" Barrels. One of the dumbest things I have ever done.

Best advice you can give a newbe is "do yourself a favor, buy a target gun"

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I bought a Franchi OU at the 76 Grand that was a demo gun. Newly introduced that year, they were getting a lot of PR.

To me it looked like a lot of gun for the money, but looks are not always correct. The locking lever started moving to the center after about 500rds. It had an adjustment but regardless kept moving and eventually jammed the firing pin.

It was probably repairable under warranty, but I did as Ed and sent it down the road.

Regards....Gerald

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought a used Remington 11-87 Premier Trap at a gunshow. It had a Simmons high rib, and a Soft-touch recoil installed. I tried to take it apart and it was rusted so bad, I couldn't get the barrel off. I decided to take a chance and got it for $400. After getting it home, the barrel shot low and left, and had been bent. It had a left hand trigger assembly, and no feed latch. I cleaned it up, replaced the barrel with a Remchoke LC 30", a right hand trigger, and installed a feed latch. I straightened the old barrel, using my trailer hitch and sold it, with full disclosure, for $100. I'm now into it for about $500 and it's a great soft shooting gun, and not for sale. Mark

8. warren

warren Member

Yes when I was a young man I bought a British Greener double side by side and I've never shot a gun that kicked more in my life, I think it was only one step above a damascus twist boy that was a rotten gun.

warren

9. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I bought a stoeger 26 in O/U. 1st time I shot trap 20/25 and after a while 22 was best. Learned at my first shoot in this case length is important. still have it though if anyone is interested.

10. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I like "timb99" bought a Bakail (spl.?) and the fired shell would not come out, had to use a ram rod for every shot, and I could not hit anything with it. A guy had heard about the brand and was looking for one, and he quickly had mine for more than I wanted to sell it for. I had Two new XT Browning Combos, with lower barrel fireing problems, first one broke and the factory replaced it the second, was repaired by Browning, and then it found and new owner.

Norman

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Some folks love them. My Dad shot some of his best scores with one. But I never shot an 870 that I cared for. Rattling forearm and the factory trigger was lame. If you upgraded the stock from the factory offering it made them butt heavy.

I always thought Remington would try to build a better pump gun than the Winchester Model 12, but the stamped out 870 aimed for the low end, not the high.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Yes, but it was also the best made gun I have ever owned. It was a Lindner Daly made in the late 1800s. It had a dolls head extention and closed tighter than any gun I ever owned. The problem was that it kicked like an M1 with a grenade launcher. When I finally got do0wn to breaking 9 targets out of 25, I dumped it. Actually I probably should have had it restocked to reduce the recoil and kept the old stocks to retain the gun's value. It was a thing of besuty and a mechanical gem but it abused me so badly that I started to doubt that trap was really my game.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Bought a NIB Browning Superposed for doubles. Paid $1850 for it; then found out it was a "salt" gun; I told a dealer/friend about the "salt" and asked for an offer; sold it to him for $950. Took a $900 bath and try not to remember it. Have steered clear of Browning "salt" era guns since. Regards, Ed

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I did bought a beat to heck BT99 and I did some custom work on it and its now my favorit over a Joel Etchens 687 and a KX5 I let go. I hope to keep it round for long time as I have had the most fun rebuilding and painting and makeing add on parts in my shop.

Jerry Lewis

15. MrRojo

MrRojo TS Member

Three words. Charles Daly Trap. Fell apart every time I shot it. Soon turned it in for a Beretta 682X.

John

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I can't say that I've bought a really "bad" trap gun, just a couple of guns that allowed me to shoot while in transition...

Guns I've bought and subsequently sold... 32" BT99 (1st target gun) - sold and bought a 34" Pigeon to replace it... still have that one... KX-5 from a buddy to help him, but never gave it a fair shake as I already had my 90Ts and subsequently sold that gun to a mutual acquaintance who was looking for a Krieghoff...

Otherwise, I own what I've bought and shoot all of them at some time or another, some much more than others...

Jay

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The only really "bad" trap gun I ever owned was an older Browning Citori Combo. Got it in a trade somehow many years ago. The gun was pretty well used when I got it, but, man, I didn't think anyone could ever shoot a trap gun this bad. It also had a set of double release triggers in it at the time. After about 2 weeks of shooting it, the barrels started to get loose on the hinge pin to the point I really didn't want to shoot it. The triggers didn't work properly, so I sent it off to a noted "gunsmith" to have the triggers re-done and the barrels tightened. Well, I sent that piece of junk back and forth to this "release trigger/gunsmith" guru 3 times and it never did fire more than 6 shots in a row without breaking down, and the barrels were as loose as they were when I sent the gun in to him for repair. When I tried to return it to him for the 4th time, he told me, in no uncertain terms, that he was done working on that gun and never wanted to see it again. I don't remember how much I sold it for, but, believe me, I would have PAID the buyer to just get it away from me.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A 682 combo with three barrels shooting VERY different poi's.

A Browning Cenergy with a 12 lbs. triggers!

A gun can make a difference.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Briefly owned a Topper Trap. Wore out in 25 shots. My shoulder, that is :p

-Gary

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Had a Antonio Zoli unsingle from the 80's...it broke if I even looked at it the wrong way...it was very pretty though for a wall ornament

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.