1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever been to One of These?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Talk about concentration! I recently competed in an Professional Shooting League National Championship at Livonia, Indiana for 22 rimfire bench rest competition.

All the shooters who compete in this event(74) bring their flags and place them near their field of fire. Some buy their flags ready made, while others design and make theirs. Needless to say I didn't even have to get mine out, I guess I would have had a little room to do it!

What it takes to win? A very accurate rifle, a great rest, the lot of ammo you have searched for after trying many(a bunch!) that your rifle likes, being a superb shot, and the greatest WIND reader there!!!! A very gentle breeze will drive you crazy as it will move the bullet just out of the 100 perfect circle! I'll never complain about shooting trap when the wind is really blowing! Biff

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biffer, your picture sure gives one new meaning about understanding what KY windage is all about!!

How did you fare at the shoot? Target pictures? One hole 10s X 5?

Hap

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yes I have been to those ranges, but with a 6 ppc What are you shooting these days? I am still playing with my Anschutz 2013.

4. dflo

dflo Member

Oh yes, spent a many a year shooting over wind flags. Benchrest was my first competitive sport. My father and I traveled everywhere shooting little groups but like above with a 6ppc. Brings back memories.

Dale

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

What is a 6ppc?

What were you shooting at? Which items in the field are the targets?

6. TOOLMAKER 251

Dale, this will bring back memories, Hall B action HV.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't particapate but they have benchrest shooters at our club 4 times a year. And yes, the field looks the same.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

391 shooter the 6 ppc stands for 6 millimeter bullet and the case was designed Dr. Palmisano and Ferris Pindel who was a gunsmith in Pa. which started out as a 220 Russian (Russian target cartridge) with the shoulder moved forward and changed to a 30 degree angle. This cartridge is easily capable of putting 5 shots in a .187 (3/16") group at 200 yards. In the picture the cartridge on the right is a 6mm br. which is derived from a cut down 308 case and a .473 base the one on the right is the 6ppc which has a .447 base dia.
    [​IMG]

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Toolmaker,
    Thanks for the info, learn something every day don't we.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Thought you were asking about an Amway party!

11. biff

biff Active Member

Hap, I shot two days, two different associations; similar, but different with 2500 being the top score in both. My highest in PSL was a 2100 and in the ARA was a 2300(2400 was the hightst score in that ARA competition that day!) I should've put a dime on it to give an idea as to the size of the bulls. We are shooting 22 rimfire brand new store bought waxed lead ammunition, can't reload this nor create a special load as the centerfire 6ppc boys do. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on sitting down!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also included is an IR50/50 target where 250 is possible, it was not shot this weekend.

And yes I am looking forward to getting my Ljutic out of mothballs where it has been since October and shooting some trap! Biff

12. biff

biff Active Member

BTW I forgot to mention what rifle I was using. It is a 54 Anschutz gunsmithed by Butch Hongisto and has a Broughton 5C barrel. The boys I shoot with here in Bowling Green, Ky say it is the ugliest gun they have ever seen and dread when they see me haul out this 18 pound monster!

I got this rifle from Joe Fesi in Chesterfield, Mo. who wanted a shotgun and I had what he was looking for.
    [​IMG]
    This rifle, named "Homeless Joe"(not named after Joe Fesi, but a harmless old drifter who made his home in Bowling Green many years ago)is still in it's original International match 3 position stock! Biff

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yep a windflag garden. For the Rimfire shooters Depending on how the range and surrounding area are laid out you can end up with 3 flags between you and your 50 yard target ALL POINTING DIFFERENT WAYS. Every rifle there (usually) is capable of shooting all X's. It is the guys that dope the wind best that win. With the 22 LR a barely felt 5mph wind will drift the bullet about 1 inch at 50 yards. On the IR 50/50 target that is from an X to a 7. Pain in the fanny sport but addictive.

--- Chip King ---

14. TOOLMAKER 251

Biff, that looks like a single extractor 54 you have from looking at the back of the bolt. 1413?

15. biff

biff Active Member

Toolmaker, you are right about the single extractor, wish it had two and a groove on the front of the chamber. I upgraded the trigger to a 5071 which is like the 5018 but is made for the 54 action. I recently bought another 54 match on Gun Broker which has the X receiver, grooved, the later action with the side safety and newer trigger, not sure which model trigger it is but it is like the 5018.

I saw several Super Match 1813 sell on Gun Broker, wish I could have gotten one of them. Is your 2013 a hummer? What length barrel does it have on it?

Thanks Trapboy for the compliment, I have only shot two of those targets and the other was a 242 with 14 X's.

Chipking, you are absolutely right and much more frustrating than Trap because it appears like it should be so easy! Biff

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. A lot of the terms went over my head but the shots on those targets "biff" posted are self explanatory. Wow, nice shooting.

TOOLMAKER,

Interesting lesson on the ammo. Have read of the caliber at different times but knew nothing about it.

17. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Toolmaker- are you sure F.Pindell was a gunsmith in PA(not important just curious)? I met him in a little gunshop in Connersville, In (Knight's Custom Gunshop). I know he lived in Morning Grove which was just south of Connersville and from our conversations I assumed he had lived there all his life. He was an interesting fellow to say the least. At that time (many years ago), he was working to develope the 7mm PPC. He was theorizing that because of the better S/D and B/C of the 7mm it would be even more accurate than the 6 if you can believe that. Either the 7 was a disappointment or he passed prior to completing the search for the "1 holer". Just don't make them like that anymore. Also met Palmisano at the same shop.

Regards, Joe

18. TOOLMAKER 251

Biff, I would not go as far as saying my 2013 is a hummer, I am still playing with ammo (and you know what that costs) it has a 690mm long barrel. I think I mentioned it to you some time back that I also have a Anschutz 1613 which is a 1813 transition gun with dual extractors and side safety, also a 690mm barrel with the 5071 trigger. The 2013 uses the 5018 trigger which in my opinion is better then the 5071. I am building a palma gun from a 40x action and I will use a 5018 trigger on it. I don't know if you want to remove the barreled action from your stock if it's not glued in, but the 5071 triggers used a red epoxy to retain the trigger pins. They can come loose over time and should be inspected annually.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. biff

biff Active Member

I thought that 2013 was a hummer when you sent me pictures of some groups shot at 100 yards with it, in fact both of those guns in the picture outshot anything I have ever owned. Best group I shot with "Homeless Joe" was a .148 @ 50 yards.

One of the 54s I bought and was considering using to be rebarreled with the Shillen 4 groove Ratchet barrel I just purchased, shot extremely well this morning and it isn't even bedded(there are worn hi-spots where it fitted in the stock) the friend who was shooting it with me told me it shot too good to be rebarreled!

I got a bunch more questions and I guess we need to PM each other talking about 22s on a shotgun thread! I'm glad to get back in touch with you again. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
6mm ppc
6ppc 22 ppc

anschutz 1613

anschutz target rimfire rifles missouri